Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never a dull moment....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Never a dull moment....

I should know better than to do something as stupid as straightening up, cleaning, organizing - somehow it manages to backfire on me.

Last Saturday I was putting some items away in my bedroom closet, after procrastinating about it for too long. I have a large walk-in closet in my bedroom, that has double sliding mirrored doors. I had tossed a stack of x-ray films in there on the floor just a week or so before - just until I could figure the proper way to recycle them. Well - I walked into the closet - stepped on the stack of films, and went into a skid. It's amazing how fast one's mind can work in an emergency situation - mine went into overdrive!!! On my way falling down, all I could think of was - my head is NOT going to go thru that mirror - so I put my arm out to protect myself in my landing. Better to break my arm or wrist, than to have my head go thru the mirror, and the possible very nasty results that would follow. So my elbow hit the door, and then my hand slammed down on to the adjusting hardware (rather sharp metal) that is at the inside bottom corner of the door. BIG MESSY OUCH!! It ripped the side of my hand open all the way to the bone - a very jagged and nasty laceration - just below my little finger. My hand looked like chopped steak, and the floor and inside mirror looked like a massacre had taken place. It took what seemed like forever (and a half roll of paper towels) to get the bleeding stopped enough that I could wrap it and drive myself to the walk-in medical clinic in town. Five stitches and a couple of hours later, I was on my way back home. Thank goodness where the laceration is, is not a really "meaty" portion of the hand, but of course the location of it is in an area that is constantly getting bumped, etc. I've kept it covered and padded so that it doesn't take too much abuse. I go back Monday or Tuesday to have the stitches out - tho the one side still hasn't healed properly. Hope I don't have to have that portion re-stitched - the Novocaine injections before the stitching were the worst part of the whole event!!!!

So that's what I've been up to this past week. Could someone out there please send me some peace and tranquility??? PLEASE.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yikes! Sounds scary - and sore! Sending you healing thoughts!
    I've Been Frosted

Good grief! Frightening, painful, and messy, to say the least.

Peaceful, healing energies are on their way to you...

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sending positive healing thoughts your way!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Thanks Karen, Pat and Nancy.

And I'm really not a klutz - I just seem to find awkward situations frequently presenting themselves to me. Impaired balance from the cervical spine injury and surgery, doesn't help matters either.......
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Keep it up and we may have to wrap you in bubble wrap ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Keep it up and we may have to wrap you in bubble wrap ...
    You're not the first one to say that...........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Blog Entries
    Ouch! Hope your wounded hand heals quickly. Sending you some peace & tranquility.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I have to say this for you Pom.....you are very consistent with the accidents Sorry to hear about the nasty spill and I hope that hand will heal without giving you more problems. After reading your tale it reminded me of the pile of x-rays that are in a box on the top shelf of my closet, always meant to take the box downstairs in case someone should accidentally knock it down , I'll be doing that real early tomorrow. I have a trunk to keep all that stuff in. Don't want to recycle them just yet, they're all x-rays of some of my dogs and horses and I like to look through them every now and again, that way I don't forget how to read them and what the problems were. And they're like souvenirs to me. So far I don't have any of my own.... we never get to keep any of our own x-rays here. Most of the time you have to ask to look at them when the doctor gets them.

Found a nice big roll of bubble wrap... I can go wrap you up anytime now
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I have to say this for you Pom.....you are very consistent with the accidents Sorry to hear about the nasty spill and I hope that hand will heal without giving you more problems. After reading your tale it reminded me of the pile of x-rays that are in a box on the top shelf of my closet, always meant to take the box downstairs in case someone should accidentally knock it down , I'll be doing that real early tomorrow. I have a trunk to keep all that stuff in. Don't want to recycle them just yet, they're all x-rays of some of my dogs and horses and I like to look through them every now and again, that way I don't forget how to read them and what the problems were. And they're like souvenirs to me. So far I don't have any of my own.... we never get to keep any of our own x-rays here. Most of the time you have to ask to look at them when the doctor gets them.

Asiel - you could turn them into digital form, just tape each to a window on a fairly bright day, and you can take a picture with your digital camera. Then you can also invert them for a positive if you want, or print them out to keep them in a binder - no slipping hazard!
    I've Been Frosted

My goodness, Ellie! Glad to learn you are on the mend. Prayers to keep going in a positive direction.

Where was family during all this? And Wolfy and kits? Did you have any helpers - human or furkids? Stuff like this always seems worse when we are alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Asiel - you could turn them into digital form, just tape each to a window on a fairly bright day, and you can take a picture with your digital camera. Then you can also invert them for a positive if you want, or print them out to keep them in a binder - no slipping hazard!
    Kirsten just recently did this with one of her negatives, it came out much better than she expected! I think she posted it on FB. Asiel, per Kirsten, remember to wipe off any cat hairs before you snap, ha ha haaa.

WHAT are we gonna do with you Ellie??? Bubble wrap indeed. I doubt there's enough bubble wrap in the world.

Please stay safe!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post

Unfortunately, most imaging centers (in this area anyway), have you take possession of the films. I have a ton of them from 2006 up till now. You are not supposed to dispose of them in a landfill because of the mercury in them. There are commercial businesses that will take them and recycle for a fee, but I'll be darned if I'll pay to have them destroyed. Next time I go by the imaging center in town, I'm going to stop in and ask if they will take them for disposal. The last couple of MRI's that I had tho, were given to me on digital disc, so most every place is getting rid of those big and heavy films.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    My goodness, Ellie! Glad to learn you are on the mend. Prayers to keep going in a positive direction.

Where was family during all this? And Wolfy and kits? Did you have any helpers - human or furkids? Stuff like this always seems worse when we are alone.
    Family was here and outside when I did it, and they were getting ready to host a gathering of about 30 people for a luau/bbq/birthday bash. My son and his girlfriend had to stay here at the house, since people were due to start arriving at about the same time I went skidding. Wolfy was on the bed watching me, and then wondering why Mom was acting rather strange and saying bad words, and who knows where the felines were. I was fine to drive to the walk-in clinic - once the bleeding was under control. And by the time I got back home - all the prep work for the bbq was all done, guests had arrived, and I could now just sit back and eat and enjoy the rest of the day!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Kirsten just recently did this with one of her negatives, it came out much better than she expected! I think she posted it on FB. Asiel, per Kirsten, remember to wipe off any cat hairs before you snap, ha ha haaa.

Karen--Freedom--thanks for that input, I never thought of that and it's so simple to do.

And I will pass a lint cloth over them to make sure they are not hairy.
    Asiel

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Unfortunately, most imaging centers (in this area anyway), have you take possession of the films. I have a ton of them from 2006 up till now. You are not supposed to dispose of them in a landfill because of the mercury in them. There are commercial businesses that will take them and recycle for a fee, but I'll be darned if I'll pay to have them destroyed. Next time I go by the imaging center in town, I'm going to stop in and ask if they will take them for disposal. The last couple of MRI's that I had tho, were given to me on digital disc, so most every place is getting rid of those big and heavy films.

Family was here and outside when I did it, and they were getting ready to host a gathering of about 30 people for a luau/bbq/birthday bash. My son and his girlfriend had to stay here at the house, since people were due to start arriving at about the same time I went skidding. Wolfy was on the bed watching me, and then wondering why Mom was acting rather strange and saying bad words, and who knows where the felines were. I was fine to drive to the walk-in clinic - once the bleeding was under control. And by the time I got back home - all the prep work for the bbq was all done, guests had arrived, and I could now just sit back and eat and enjoy the rest of the day!

I'm just amazed that you get all your films and even scans back-- if we try to look at them while they are in the fixer they just turn it off... very strange regulations since they should belong to us. I guess it would be a problem if you want to dispose of them though

See, there was a bright side to that accident--- you got out of helping set things up, got home , put your feet up and just enjoyed the food
    I know helping would have been much better, right kiddo..? I'll have to send you a good luck horseshoe to keep you safe.
    Asiel

I've been Boo'd----