Thread: NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

Threaded View

NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

For starters.. the WiFi in my apartment is out now (supposed to be on until Aug. 31), and I'm at the library writing this. Don't know how soon I can get back, hopefully tomorrow afternoon because it doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

The bigger news: Apartment inspection yesterday. I got a letter from management a couple of weeks before saying, first, I wasn't disposing of litter properly, and I called to ask WHAT? because I scoop several times a day and always dispose of the waste, double-bagged, in the dumpster as regulations require and were repeated in this letter. When the management person returned my call two days later she said there was a ..smell in the apartment and outside the door.

I told her I hadn't noticed such, and this was the first I'd heard of it, and I said I'd take care of it.

Wound up having whole apartment professionally house-cleaned and then carpet-cleaned in preparation. Boarded cats while the cleaning was going on, changed litter for one supposedly more odor-killing and then put additive in to make it even more odor-killing, got plastic sheeting to put under boxes so there wouldn't be anything getting into rugs.

Brought the cats home Wednesday. Well, they were freaked by the odors of the cleaning solutions and even more so of the changed litter.. I didn't see much in the way of use of the new litter.

Took Bob and Elmer to my sister's early Friday.

When I got back I discovered a new, very potent reek coming from the living room corner. Well, surprise! That's where ..somebody decided was better than the new-smell litterboxes!

So I'm wiping that up and then dousing it with Nature's Miracle and trying to do something to fix this before they come. (I'd also called asking whom I could expect for this around what time, but that call was never returned.) That's when they showed up: the apartment-complex maintenance head and the brand new "manager" (fifth in less than a year).

Maintenance guy said the carpet, matting and all, has to go.

It turns out they are supposed to, in fact are required by state law to replace the carpet every five years, which of course they never bothered to enlighten us about.. so the ball is (hopefully) in their court. I think they are going to make as much trouble as they can about it.

I'm very frightened.

Prayers, good wishes, positive energies, please send along.. Thank you very much!

Last edited by phesina; 08-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery