Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

For starters.. the WiFi in my apartment is out now (supposed to be on until Aug. 31), and I'm at the library writing this. Don't know how soon I can get back, hopefully tomorrow afternoon because it doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

The bigger news: Apartment inspection yesterday. I got a letter from management a couple of weeks before saying, first, I wasn't disposing of litter properly, and I called to ask WHAT? because I scoop several times a day and always dispose of the waste, double-bagged, in the dumpster as regulations require and were repeated in this letter. When the management person returned my call two days later she said there was a ..smell in the apartment and outside the door.

I told her I hadn't noticed such, and this was the first I'd heard of it, and I said I'd take care of it.

Wound up having whole apartment professionally house-cleaned and then carpet-cleaned in preparation. Boarded cats while the cleaning was going on, changed litter for one supposedly more odor-killing and then put additive in to make it even more odor-killing, got plastic sheeting to put under boxes so there wouldn't be anything getting into rugs.

Brought the cats home Wednesday. Well, they were freaked by the odors of the cleaning solutions and even more so of the changed litter.. I didn't see much in the way of use of the new litter.

Took Bob and Elmer to my sister's early Friday.

When I got back I discovered a new, very potent reek coming from the living room corner. Well, surprise! That's where ..somebody decided was better than the new-smell litterboxes!

So I'm wiping that up and then dousing it with Nature's Miracle and trying to do something to fix this before they come. (I'd also called asking whom I could expect for this around what time, but that call was never returned.) That's when they showed up: the apartment-complex maintenance head and the brand new "manager" (fifth in less than a year).

Maintenance guy said the carpet, matting and all, has to go.

It turns out they are supposed to, in fact are required by state law to replace the carpet every five years, which of course they never bothered to enlighten us about.. so the ball is (hopefully) in their court. I think they are going to make as much trouble as they can about it.

I'm very frightened.

Prayers, good wishes, positive energies, please send along.. Thank you very much!

Last edited by phesina; 08-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

sending you prayers and positive thoughts.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Blog Entries
    Good luck honey! Hate it when the poo hits the fan! Lotsa prayers and best wishes!

Pat, if there's a landlord and tenant act in your state, you might want to find out at who should pay for this removal and replacement. Find out the details of that law they mentioned. In some places you can get free legal advice on certain topics.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers on the way for you and your kitties!
    I've Been Frosted

Ha, I'm back at another library branch, closer to my place.. Couldn't do without getting back on line.

Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good wishes!

What I am most scared of is if they use this as an excuse to try to evict me. Even scarier if they should succeed. Where am I going to find a place for a 70-year-old woman with limited income and four cats?

The letter they sent me was marked "First Notice." Three notices, and you're out. Since the new manager has not called me yet as she promised three times, I'm thinking they're going to send me another one saying "Second Notice." But I responded to the "First Notice" in complete good faith (and huge expense), doing everything I could to attend to those matters as they were described to me both in the letter and then in response to my phone call.

If the whole carpet needs to be replaced, then it seems to me that's up to them, as I've been here twelve years and they haven't ever done it (or even let me know they could and would), even though they should every five years.

And thanks, Candace. I plan to research the legal aspects here thoroughly. I only just found out that the management is supposed to replace the carpet every five years a couple of months ago from a fellow tenant and catsitting client.

A good friend and neighbor in the same apartment complex has already been looking into things. She got her carpet cleaned (not replaced) by them for free .. after I told her about what my client told me. She's the one who told me the carpet replacement is state law. And while I have to get my small things out of the way, the management has to move the furniture.

She also said the University of Michigan Law School has a Seniors Legal Assistance clinic run by 3rd year students. I'm going to see if there are any actual lawyers out there who might help too.

Meanwhile I just talked with a friend who runs a low-cost spay-neuter service (katsnips.org). I've given her figurines and cat-themed items in the past for their fund-raising auctions. I offered her the zillions more figurines I have, since I'll need to get them out for carpet-changing, and anyway I'd like them to go where they'll help real cats and to others who will love them as I do. She said if I box them up, she'll store the boxes of ones I want to keep and keep the others for future sales.

So, first steps on all this. Tonight I'm having dinner with my friend who is looking into the legal aspects and being in my cheering section. I'll get the numbers she's found of people who can help.

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts and prayers, dear friends!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wow Pat - just what you don't need. You have enough on your plate right now with your upcoming surgery.

Sending positive thoughts your way for a successful resolution - both with management and your fur kids. Hang in there.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Questions for the apt mgr.

1. When will the new carpeting be installed ?
    2. When will the WiFi be fixed & working?

Tell the Mgr. all the positive steps you've taken to eliminate any odors. Maybe a home camera setup to identify the kitty
    who uses the corner instead of the litter box, so you know who to work on. Good luck & I hope they will work with you on
    solving any problems.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks, Ellie!

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.
    Death thought about it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thanks, Ellie!

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.
    Pat - I think that you'll find that 12 week scenario, to be very overstated. I was pretty much back to my normal routine in 4 - 6 weeks. These doctors like to present the worst possibilities, but then greatly modify the whole thing when they see how well you are tolerating and recovering. Fingers and paws crossed for a "lighter sentence".
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    For starters.. the WiFi in my apartment is out now (supposed to be on until Aug. 31), and I'm at the library writing this. Don't know how soon I can get back, hopefully tomorrow afternoon because it doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

The bigger news: Apartment inspection yesterday. I got a letter from management a couple of weeks before saying, first, I wasn't disposing of litter properly, and I called to ask WHAT? because I scoop several times a day and always dispose of the waste, double-bagged, in the dumpster as regulations require and were repeated in this letter. When the management person returned my call two days later she said there was a ..smell in the apartment and outside the door.

I told her I hadn't noticed such, and this was the first I'd heard of it, and I said I'd take care of it.

Wound up having whole apartment professionally house-cleaned and then carpet-cleaned in preparation. Boarded cats while the cleaning was going on, changed litter for one supposedly more odor-killing and then put additive in to make it even more odor-killing, got plastic sheeting to put under boxes so there wouldn't be anything getting into rugs.

Brought the cats home Wednesday. Well, they were freaked by the odors of the cleaning solutions and even more so of the changed litter.. I didn't see much in the way of use of the new litter.

Took Bob and Elmer to my sister's early Friday, so when the inspectors came by they couldn't possibly see more than the two pets maximum we're allowed here.

When I got back I discovered a new, very potent reek coming from the living room corner. Well, surprise! That's where ..somebody decided was better than the new-smell litterboxes!

So I'm wiping that up and then dousing it with Nature's Miracle and trying to do something to fix this before they come. (I'd also called asking whom I could expect for this around what time, but that call was never returned.) That's when they showed up: the apartment-complex maintenance head and the brand new "manager" (fifth in less than a year).

Maintenance guy said the carpet, matting and all, has to go.

It turns out they are supposed to, in fact are required by state law to replace the carpet every five years, which of course they never bothered to enlighten us about.. so the ball is (hopefully) in their court. I think they are going to make as much trouble as they can about it.

I'm very frightened.

Prayers, good wishes, positive energies, please send along.. Thank you very much!

More prayers and good wishes. Were Bob and Elmer still out of the house when someone chose the corner instead of the litter pan? I don't see how they can give you a big hassle when you made a good-faith effort to respond to the first notice. If they're supposed to exchange the carpeting anyway ... would they wait till after you've finished your surgery and rehab? Since you did just have it cleaned. ((((HUGS))) and prayers and positive energies and good wishes!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sending you prayers and strength!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Tons of prayers and well wishes are on the way from me for sure!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So many things to juggle all at once! Prayers for patience and calm during this hectic time. Sounds like you are on track to get the information and support you need.

Is the 2 pets max written in your rental agreement / lease? Was it always that way (you said many changes in management).
    Then, how long have you been in 'violation?' Do NOT answer these questions on here, this is a public forum. But these are things your legal representative will need to know. Because the longer you have been in violation the stronger they can argue the management knew and looked the other way.

The legal clinic w/3rd year students is a great option for you, do follow up on that as well as all the other things you have to do. They are eager, chomping at the bit, and have plenty of oversight by seasoned attorneys.