Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's been a long time, I know......Update #23; 9/18

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I admire your decision, Mary. I would do the same thing, if I was faced with that choice. It's really cruel to put the animal thru all of that, when the outcome could be very poor. I think people are more concerned with their own feelings, and not that of their pet. When the pet's quality of life declines and it is a struggle to live, then we as pet parents need to step in and end the suffering. But as long as our furkids are comfortable, then let them go on with life as usual for as long as they can. I'm hoping that Creamy still has a lot more living to do.

{{{Hugs}}}, my friend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sending many prayers and love and warm energies to dear Creamsicle and you, Mary.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

We completely understand. Prayers for more pain-free days.
    I've Been Frosted

Fully support your decision. Praying that you and Creamy have many more days, weeks and years together.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

While Creamsicle is still happy and eating and everything, your decision is perfect. Why make her feel sick when she feels so well?

I wish you and Creamy many many happy and healthy days, weeks and months!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That is what I did with my dog, Sugar, when she was diagnosed with cancer. The biopsy was noninvasive, so I went ahead with that; we had 4 possibilities, only 1 was cancer. Each of the other 3 would have been relative easy to deal with. I knew I would not put her through chemo. The biopsy came back as cancer. So I just enjoyed my time with her, and we (vet and I) did what we could to keep her comfortable.

Similar with Creamsicle, Mary. You are very in tune with your pets; you will know when something is bothering her. Then if it is a matter of comfort, you can address that and she will continue to lead her happy life. Considering her special needs is very important; I'm glad you are factoring this in to your decision.

Well, I'm a complete hypocrite. I relented and allowed the biopsy since it was a needle biopsy and the chest cavity needn't be opened. Dr. Lee called me the second he was finished and said that Creamy came through just fine but the x-ray showed that whatever is in her lungs has already spread; it has doubled in the amount of lung tissue affected. I'll wait until the results come back from the lab in a few days but Dr. Lee said that if it is cancer, it's grave. I asked him for a prognosis and he said that he doesn't do that any more b/c he's always gone by the book and the book is always wrong. "It's grave" is all he would say for now. He also did the heartworm test and he said that it's possible that's what it could be but it's doubtful. If it is cancer then b/c it's in her lungs, she'll eventually have difficulty breathing. He would put her on Prednisolone to shrink the tumors somewhat and thereby give her some breathing relief. I'm rather numb right now. If I hadn't taken her in for her allergy shot and had Dr. Lee check her limp w/x-rays, I never would have known about all this until Creamy couldn't breathe. I'm to pick her up at 3:30 today. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh no I PRAY it is something else! Anything else, something treatable! Hugs to you Mary, and every PT prayer I can manage is going to you and dearest Creamy.

Oh my. Well, any information is good information is one way: let's you know what you are dealing with, so you are not caught totally off guard. Which is what would have happened if you hadn't gone in for that initial visit.

Just keep doing what you do, Mary. Love her, let her be Creamsicle, be attentive as you are naturally with your pets.

As I posted on FB, I am so sorry, so sad. Cruel and unkind is the understatement.

With Tenny, I knew it would eventually travel to his lungs, hampering his ability to breathe. I didn't wait for that day, and while I never, ever know how short I cut his life, I know he never struggled to breathe. No decision is the right decision, all decisions are hard decisions. Let love lead your actions, as I know you will.

I spent those last days breathing into Tenny, letting him know and feel my love.

As it is right now, Creamy is 100% herself. No breathing difficulty at all. She was energetic and anxious to get out of the carrier and she has been sitting next to me on the sofa since we came home. If she were having difficulty breathing or she was sick, I'd say that it's probably cancer but she is just fine. At least she appears to be, which is why I still can't believe that it is cancer. I keep praying that it will prove to be something else. I won't let her get to the point where she can't breathe, however. So as soon as I know more, I'll post it. Thanx for your prayers, everyone. I'm so grateful.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Just got off the phone w/Dr. Lee. First the good news, there is no cancer in Creamy's liver. The bad news is that she has feline hepatic lipidosis. Also, the pathologist recommended an exploratory surgery to see what exactly is in her lungs even though they suspect that it is cancer. I said that I will not put Creamy through such an invasive procedure. I then asked what the course is that I should follow. He said that w/o chemo, radiation or the exploratory, I should continue w/the Prednisolone. It will help shrink tumors, if indeed that's what is in her lungs, and it will also keep her eating b/c w/lipidosis the appetite diminishes to the point where she'd stop eating altogether. So. If I see her appetite diminishing and/or her breathing becoming labored or if she's coughing a lot, then I'll know her time is getting near. Dr. Lee did say that he has had cat patients that have lived for years w/lipidosis while on Prednisolone but b/c her lungs are also affected, he can't make any prognosis. As it is, there is no definite diagnosis for the lungs. Not exactly the best news but not the worst either. Creamy is fine right now, still her sweet, purring little self and I'm just going to let her enjoy life and I'll enjoy it right along w/her.

Thanx for your prayers, friends. It means so much.
    Blessings,
    Mary

May Creamy continue to be the sweet purring girl she is for a long long time yet.

sending prayers and wishing the best of luck with Creamsicle. Let her time with you be happy and comfortable.

Read the whole thread--- sounds like all ended well. I hope Creamy will have many more pain free yrs ahead-- Just for the record I would make the same decision you did about the chemo--- I will never ever put any of my fur friends through chemo no matter what--- witnessed too many human friends go through that and I could never do it to any animal.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----