Thread: Adopting of leery and shy dogs

1. Adopting of leery and shy dogs

Sorry if the thread title is confusing. im still unsure of what to call it. but if you were to adopt or foster a leery and shy dog how would you go about getting them to like you and gaining their trust?

When my parents and i went an met Kirby he was 2 1/2years old an he was very friendly in yo face greetings an sillyness. normal for most Poodle greetings. he even started doing zoomies around us after a couple minutes LOL for the ride home i put him in a crate that we brought with us. it was a long ways home too,, like a 2hour trip. when we got home an i opened the door on the crate he didnt want to come out. so i sat down a ways away from the crate an softly called his name while patting my lap,, after a few moments he came over to me an flopped in my lap. he became a velcro dog from then on out.

but something tells me if i were to adopt a leery an shy dog that they wouldnt be so quick to like or trust me like that. so for any of you who has taken in a leery an shy dog could you share how an what you did to help the dog blossom into a dog that trusts an likes you? i do know it is something that takes time an depending on the dog it may take more or less time based on situation/s an the dogs personality. but aside from that i dont know much else.

reason why im asking is... well this:

im looking for walking/jogging or biking buddy an shes up on Craigslist with a re-homing fee an spay contract saying shes shy so re-homing will be rough on her. potty/crate trained. good on leash. good around other animals an kids,, but leery of strangers. im not entirely new to the Australian Shepherd breed as i used to have a Aussie mix when i was kid. i know theyre a ready to please,, high energy an job driven breed an its not unheard of for the breed to be reserved around strangers. id love to take this girl in if i think shes a match for me,, but shes been up on Craiglists for a while now so the chances of her finding a home by the time i make up my mind is pretty high,, but i think its better to ask an get information than to jump before looking.

i also have to convince my parents about getting another dog an i know i have my work cut out for me in this department as the loss of previous pets have hit everyone hard. may take quite a while or until im out on my own for me to be able to get another dog. but when the time comes at least i'll have a better idea if a shy/leery dog is presented again

It really depends on the dog. Shy can be fine with an understanding owner. But you need to find out as much as you can about her, her history, and her current circumstances before committing to her. There will be an adjustment period with any dog, shy or not, ask to meet her, walk her, etc., and your heart will know whether or not you can work with her.
    I've Been Frosted

3. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It really depends on the dog. Shy can be fine with an understanding owner. But you need to find out as much as you can about her, her history, and her current circumstances before committing to her. There will be an adjustment period with any dog, shy or not, ask to meet her, walk her, etc., and your heart will know whether or not you can work with her.
    With having social anxiety i have a understanding of how difficult it can be to adjust to new people an situations. from a dogs point of view though it is different. ive been reading on line about shy dogs an watching some training videos involving shy dogs. like this one Beagle mix of some sort would pee upon anyone coming up to greet the dog at home. for them it was easy. all they had to do was praise the dog whenever she did a behavior they wanted. even if it was just sitting an being quiet. than when someone came over they told them how to pet the dog so it didnt appear as a threat to the dog.

but like you said it does depend on the dog. id love to call or email the owner an find out about her as well as meet her an take her for a walky or two. but im hesitant as i havent mentioned anything to my parents yet.

looking back on things i realized how lucky i was with Kirby. i didnt ask for his history. all i asked was basic stuff about him like his age. weight. if he was good around other animals an if she'd be willing to part with whatever left over dog food. a small towel or blanket of theirs an his favorite toy. that ways it... LOL but i did spend quite a while at the owners place feeling out his personality as i watched him play with toys an one of her children. he even insisted on trying to get me in the action by dropping a toy right in my lap as if saying "play with us!" i dont know... we just.. clicked. i felt he wouldnt be a challenge to handle an fortunately i was right

I've just adopted Belle from CL. THey told me she was shy around strangers and would take 3 to 4 days to adjust. And they were correct.

You do need to ask as many questions as you can, to get an idea of the dog's background. Include:
    - how old was she when you got her? Here, you want to learn if they got her as a puppy, if she was taken from her mom and litter mates at 8 weeks or 12 weeks. OR maybe they got her at age 2 years, then you know she had a prior owner. This was the response for my Belle.

Follow up: so now, I want to learn what they know about the prior owner. I learned Belle lived with a little boy, a 2d baby arrived when the boy was 2 years old, and the mom couldn't manage. She told them she would be changing the baby and turn to see the 2 year old carrying Belle by her ears with her screaming. OK so now I know she was abused by a child when SHE was young. The younger the dog when things happened, the more impact it has. An older dog will learn that one person can't be trusted. A younger dog learns either children can't be trusted (my Tasha), or unknown people can't be trusted = Belle.

So your questions will be tiered, based on the answer you get. Have the follow up ready, based on the reply you get.

- do you walk her on leash? Here, you are getting into her socialization. Has she always been at home in the yard with family, and only goes to the vet, or does she go to family events, walks in the park, walks at doggie places. You want to learn if she pulls on the leash, if she sniffs on a walk (curious or inhibited), and you are also learning about what physical condition she is in. So you will know if she is ready to do a 2 mile walk, or do you need to build up, let her muscles adjust as well as her paw pads.

- does she enjoy rides in the car? This tells you if she gets car sick, but is also part of the above, lets you know how often they take her out. Does she ride in a crate, or do they use a seat belt (that is what I use). Some of this may not apply to a dog the size of an Aussie, please remember I come from a small dog background!

- does she like to play with a ball, or with squeaky toys? Now you will learn what will get her attention, help you interact with her, and reward her. Remember, in training, some dogs work for treats others work for a chance to play with their fave toy.

- have you ever taken her to any classes? Gives you more info on the sort of socialization she has had, was it group classes or at home? You may learn they had a trainer come to the home because she bit someone.

A 'shy' dog may get into fear aggression. So you need to keep this in mind and try to worm out of the owners if she has ever bitten anyone, or if she is the sort to run under a bed and hide (this is Belle). And, just because she bit someone ONCE ( my Tasha), you need to sort out the circumstances, before you decide if you can work with the dog or not.

During all this conversation, you will be learning about the people, if they are open and upfront, or if they are 'hiding' something about the dog. Belle's owners were very open and up front about stuff. We sat on the ground with Belle, and we talked for 45 minutes, while I attempted to work up to touching her. BTW, I did not get to touch her until she had been with me 24 hours. Now, 6 days later, she is snuggled in my lap as I am typing this.

- what sort of home are you looking for, for this dog? This will help you figure out if you have the right life style, and it tells you if they know about dogs, or not really. If they don't know much about dogs, you will have to sort out for yourself what is good for the dog. For Belle, the family told me they wanted a home with no children, with a 'pack' in place for her to join. They told me Belle needs a calm environment, with routine as the base. As we talked, they liked that I had experience working with a puppy mill rescue (Tasha). Belle was lucky, these people really knew something about dogs, so they could try to get her in a good place. Now, if the folks really can't tell you much about what is best for the dog, this tells you something too. That living with these folks, this dog has not had much understanding, so she will be very open to you working with her -- she will bask in the attention!

Once you have the dog: let her adjust at her own pace, especially during the first week. Use treats and praise as rewards. Belle refused to eat anything for the first 36 hours. So I really was limited in what I could do with her until she calmed down. I found that taking her on long walks helped her burn off her nervous energy so at least she could settle and sleep at night.

Training treats should be high value, things she does not get at any other time. I use cut up bits of hot dog -- SMALL bits. One hot dog makes 66 to 80 pieces. Also I use cut up cheddar cheese, and boiled boneless skinless chicken breast. Using kibble is a no no. That would not be high value. For an Aussie training is easier. Belle is 7 pounds, too many treats and she is full for the day!

You can't make a decision about if this dog needs to attend some group obedience classes until you've had her and worked with her a bit - maybe 3 to 5 weeks. So keep in mind you may need to do that. Or maybe it won't be needed.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any questions, or clarify anything.

5. Thank you Freedom that helps a lot an broadens my question list that i was working on. i havent been on PetTalk much so i havent seen your thread on Belle just yet. the picture of her in your siggy is cute though bless you for taking her in. given her history cant say i blame her for being timid/shy. poor girl.

i'll start hinting at my parents about another dog an see how things goes from there. kind of a stand still till than cuz i dont know beans about the dog other than what was listed about her.

You are most welcome!

The thing is, the ANSWERS are what lead to your follow up questions, lol.