Thread: Hyperthyroid

Hyperthyroid

I'm pretty sure my orange male tabby cat who is 14 years old has been hyperthyroid for some time, probably at least six months. He has lost a lot of weight, eats constantly. No diarrhea. He meows a lot for food. His personality hasn't changed at all. Anyway my husband and i have been arguing about taking him to the vet for quite some time. My question is, can he still be helped. I would appreciate not be told what a horrible person I am for not going before now, but we've had financial difficulties, we still do but I can't stand seeing how thin he's become.

It could be thyroid related, or something else entirely. But whatever it is, it can likely be helped. As a human who takes thyroid meds every day, I know it can be controlled. Definitely a vet visit is in order. If you do not have a regular vet, call around and ask if anyone can work out a payment plan, and explain the situation. And you are not a horrible person! Welcome to Pet Talk, I hope it turns out to be something easily manageable.
    I've Been Frosted

Hyperthyroid

I do have a really good vet who helped me with a diabetic dog. I just wanted to thank you for. Your response to my thread. In the past I have been made to feel very bad by some responses to threads I've posted

Aww, if you were a bad person you probably wouldn't have even noticed his change in eating habits or weight loss. I hope he gets to the vet soon, I am glad you have a good one.
    I've Been Frosted

The cat does need to see the vet, and have some blood work done. Older cats are prone to hyperthyroid, but it can be other things, as Karen pointed out. The diagnostic tools include the blood work.

If it is hyperthyroid, then left untreated, things deteriorate quickly. The heart and kidneys are unable to keep up. The liver also becomes quite stressed. Cats get the same treatment for this as humans: one pill daily to rebalance the hormones. The sooner it is diagnosed and treated, the better.

My first cat developed this. I'd never owned a cat before, and things had been 'wrong' for quite some time before I got him in to the vet. He developed a calcium build up which fused several of the vertebrae in his spine, making it almost impossible for him to jump - on my bed, the sofa, etc. So I bought some steps for him, and started the medication to halt things in place.

I took my RB Mac to the vet for the exact same symptoms and he was diagnosed with hyperthyroid. He live a few years with the pills, but with the pills, you are just forestalling the inevitable. Radioactive iodine treatment is what my vet advised, but I could not afford that. The pill bought me a few good years with my kitty, though. the pills are not very expensive and they work for quite some time.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Follow up for hyperthyroid

Ok, I took Dilbert, my skinny cat to the vet. He weighed 8lbs. They took all the tests and he is definitely hyperthyroid. He is on pills now and the vet said he should be fine as long as he can tolerate the pills. I'm happy I took him in hopefully the pills will work

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy59 View Post
    Ok, I took Dilbert, my skinny cat to the vet. He weighed 8lbs. They took all the tests and he is definitely hyperthyroid. He is on pills now and the vet said he should be fine as long as he can tolerate the pills. I'm happy I took him in hopefully the pills will work
    Excellent! Let us know how goes!
    I've Been Frosted

Excellent! Best wishes to Dilbert and you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery