Thread: Dog, Cat and Pet of the day question

Dog, Cat and Pet of the day question

I have long wondered why when I go into the threads and click on today's dog/cat/pet of the day the picture and description of the dog/cat/pet isn't displayed there. I know it is there on the main page, on the top, but it isn't actually IN the threads. Would it be hard to make that happen?

Hmm, it is up to the person - whoever it is who starts the thread. What does everyone think about this? Whoever starts the thread could certainly use one of the photos, that's easy enough to do ... what do other people think about this idea?
    I've Been Frosted

I don't think I am expressing myself clearly. When you log on to the home page, the dog/cat/pet of the day is above you to the right (at least on my page). When I click on it, I go to the POTD's story. AND, from there, of course, I can go to the link to 'talk about today's dog in Pet Talk'. BUT, that link simply takes me to the forums. I then need to go start my own thread (if I am inclined to do so). BUT, there is no picture there on the forum page, just the thread.

So, to garner more posts (something you have asked for in the past), why not make it easier to do so? Either post the picture and story of the dog/cat/pet IN the forum part directly, and allow people to comment directly underneath the picture and story, OR, allow people to post directly under the picture from the home screen.

Don't make it be a two step process. It would be something the you would set up, not the thread starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I don't think I am expressing myself clearly. When you log on to the home page, the dog/cat/pet of the day is above you to the right (at least on my page). When I click on it, I go to the POTD's story. AND, from there, of course, I can go to the link to 'talk about today's dog in Pet Talk'. BUT, that link simply takes me to the forums. I then need to go start my own thread (if I am inclined to do so). BUT, there is no picture there on the forum page, just the thread.

So, to garner more posts (something you have asked for in the past), why not make it easier to do so? Either post the picture and story of the dog/cat/pet IN the forum part directly, and allow people to comment directly underneath the picture and story, OR, allow people to post directly under the picture from the home screen.

Don't make it be a two step process. It would be something the you would set up, not the thread starters.
    Oooh! Okay - now I get it! Thanks, you are right, I did misunderstand. Now that I get it, I will discuss this with Paul! Thanks for the clarification!
    I've Been Frosted

Now that I understand, Cataholic, we are trying making that link come here to Pet Talk to that animal's thread ...
    I've Been Frosted

That is a great step towards what I meant. BUT, I still would like to see the picture/story appear like it would if it was an OP, started by any one of us. We read it, see it right there, and just up until we hit 'reply', it is there. So, anyone browsing the forum would see it, with all the lovely comments underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    That is a great step towards what I meant. BUT, I still would like to see the picture/story appear like it would if it was an OP, started by any one of us. We read it, see it right there, and just up until we hit 'reply', it is there. So, anyone browsing the forum would see it, with all the lovely comments underneath.
    Aww, but then we'd have to wait until someone posted a comment about each featured critter ... as to having the comments appear right on the homepage, I am not sure how that would work, I will discuss it with Paul.
    I've Been Frosted

I don't think so. I have taken a closer look at how you have it set up right now. The button link takes us to the forum for posting. It seems that you or Paul has started a thread for each of the DOTD/COTD/POTD threads. That wasn't really what I had envisioned when I posted initially. Have the button take us INTO a first post that is, in essence, the photo and the article that the person has written. So, then, we can reply to that first post, like we do to other people that post. This would spare you and Paul from writing a first post.

Does that make sense?

What would happen if you hadn't started an OP under each section? What would the link from the button picture (talk about today's pet here...) do?