Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belle has joined our flock

Belle has joined our flock

As of 10:30 PM last night (Aug 10, 2014), Belle has joined our flock. She is spayed and UTD on shots. Belle will turn 6 years old on Oct 8. She is a small bichon, smaller than Riley, Tasha and Willy. Not sure on her weight yet. She was posted on CL yesterday, I was the first person to respond. She was living way up in northern NH, so her family came half way down, and we (I took the 3 fluffs ) drove up, and we all met in a Mall parking lot. In the end, the family were so enthusiastic about Belle living with doggies and no children, plus my experience working the Tasha, my puppy mill rescue, that they agreed to let her come home with us. I am Belle's 3d owner. She lived with a family with a 2 year old and a new baby arrived when she was 2 years old. From what I understand, the 2 year old wasn't as gentle or as supervised as needed, and Belle became the nervous little girl I met. Those people rehomed her to the family I met last night. They have recently become interested in car racing, and spend weekends in their camper at the car races. Their other bichon, Mimi, is fine on leash, and staying in the camper for a few hours. Belle is very nervous with all the noise and crowds. When they leave the dogs for 2 or 3 hours and return, Mimi is sprawled out snoozing, or meets them at the door. Belle is under the bed covers shaking. So they decided this was not fair to her, and posted her. This is how I came to adopt her.

I haven't sorted out exactly what the issues are, but Belle strongly believes that anything new - person or dog - is trouble and she wants to run the other way. I am sitting in the recliner now, she is at the opposite end of the sofa. If I softly say, "Hi Belle" she shakes and shivers. She shows no curiousity about this house (we are up at Dad's, return home later today). I've had to keep her on leash, as she is small and I want to know where she is, and not worry. Even if she should crawl under something, the leash will let me know she is there. Outside, she spends all her time trying to get out of the fence and take off. She shows no interest in sniffing the fenced in area, checking for smells, and p-mail and such. The things I normally see in a new arrival. She will sniff my dogs, but does not 'fall in with the pack' which is what most dogs would do.

The family I got her from said it will take her 3 or 4 days to settle. I've never known a bichon like this, except Tasha, my mill rescue. Even with Tasha, she'd spent 6 weeks at the SPR clinic and they work through a LOT of these issues there, for the mill rescues. The family also said Belle is afraid to go out for walks, will hide under the bed when anyone comes to the house, and hates noise or crowds. They said she sleeps on the bed with them at night - either their daughter or the couple, sometimes back and forth. Well this first night, she was shaking on the bed with me and the 3 dogs, and eventually jumped down and spent the night in the living room. Belle does know 'sit,' and is potty trained.

I was told the groomer sometimes has to muzzle her, and the Mom did handle most of her grooming as a result. At this point, in the photos below, she was trimmed 2 weeks back.

For now, I know she needs calm and routine. I'm not even going to try taking her for walks with us, she needs time to adapt to this huge change in her life. She came with her collar and leash; I have a small harness for her back in RI. I'll leave her in the house while we walk. Good thing I am set up with double doors to outside at both ends of the highway! She is so small, I will have to reinforce the fence at BOTH ends of the highway to prevent escapes. For now, she remains ON LEASH. Even in the house, she is dragging her leash as I need to know where she is. I've offered her treats twice (once last night after a potty break and again this morning) but she won't eat them, even after I walk away. First time, was hot dog bits, this morning was salmon grain free.

That's her background, here are a few photos.

These are not cropped, I just kept snapping while she was looking at me.

Here you can see one ear went back, she was getting worried, so I had to stop snapping for a minute.

Then I started making SOFT sounds trying to get her attention.

Riley was VERY interested in the sounds I was making! :laughing:

Please say a little prayer for Belle, that she settles in and learns to trust (me, at LEAST!), and that she is NOT successful in any escape attempts (I do NOT want to go through that again!).
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.

I followed your FB links so I could read about Belle!
    She's got a really sweet face. I hope you have good luck with her. As much as I hate to see an animal shift from one home to another, I think it is for the best that they re-homed her if they did not have any time to dedicate to her and if the time they did have with her made her terrified like that. Poor girl.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how she blossoms in your care.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

It is very sad that she has been through several homes. But I have confidence that she has found her forever home and you will do everything you can to help her become comfortable.

Any idea how she is with cats?

Welcome to a WONDERFUL home Belle.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have pretty much ditched FB, so I'm just now learning that you have a new little Fluff. She's adorable - and if anyone can bring her around, then you can Sandie. If only they could talk and reveal what their problems are, and what frightens them so much. Poor little girl - I hope she will make a good transition and go on to live a long and happy and fearless life with you and her new sibs. It will take time, but with patience and understanding, I'm sure she will do it.

Welcome pretty little Belle. You've landed in the best possible home with the best possible Mom any doggie could hope for. You'll see - the fun has just begun!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Aww, welcome to the good life, Belle! It's okay, Sandie is a good momma, you can trust her, I promise!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow! You have your work cut out for you but I have confidence in your fluff abilities. What a pretty little dog she is--just precious. Little Belle doesn't know YET that she has ended up in a wonderful home. Good Luck!

Awww, Belle! I cried when I read about how afraid you have been. You won't have to be afraid any more, sweety. You are in the best Fluff home ever! Your new mum, Willy, Riley and Tasha will show you everything you need to know. I am glad you tried sleeping on the bed for awhile. Maybe later in the year you will be ready to go for fall walkies at the farm. If not, that's okay too. I will say big prayers and go light a candle right now. I am sending you a gentle (((HUG))) of welcome!

Your admiring fan,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you, all! Belle is already coming around, in terms of being less nervous with me. She ate all her lunch, which is nice. And we are now back home in RI -- and Belle has decided that she must return to the car. She did this last night as well, sat near the door to the car, so now I know she just needs time to get used to new places. Which I was told, yes, but still it is nice to see for myself.

I did take her for a short walk with the other 3, in the end. She started out by pulling and as she has a collar, gasping. By the end she was doing better. I will dig out the harness for her in a bit and that will make things easier on her till she learns to leash walk.

Aww----such a cutie but the first pictures show the uncertainty she is feeling. So sad that she's been tossed around like an old slipper. But I also am sure she's where she belongs, I just know you'll work through her issues, already she's eaten for you, tomorrow she will show more signs of settling in. She can sense the others are happy and content so it won't take her long to figure out she finally can relax and enjoy her new (permanent) home. Just a feeling I get that you will work things out with her...
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Sweet Belle , give Sandie a chance, and you won't regret it. You're in a PT home and that's a good thing. Welcome to Pet Talk.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Belle is so cute! I know, in time, you'll get her to be comfortable and happy in your home.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Late yesterday afternoon, I dug out Tasha's Walkeez harness. I stopped using it as Tasha backed out of it twice. I put it on Belle, attached a short leash, left her collar on with a longer leash. Then we all went for the long 2 mile walk. I did this to get her tired, burned off some of her nervous energy, as she didn't sleep well the first night. It worked, we all slept the night through! And the harness worked fine, she wasn't gasping and choking. I noticed he kept in the middle of the group, did not want to be on the outside. Tasha was like this initially as well.

Belle spent most of the night in the living room, finally came in my bedroom about 3 AM, but remained on the floor. Small steps, very similar to how Tasha progressed. She ignores the cats, and is fascinated with the fish.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this wee girl has been quite abused in her past. She squeals like a stuck pig if I so much as touch her. She isn't sore, it is fear. So putting the harness on her was a noisy episode. She did calm down, and I think she will learn quickly that means walkies!

She initially panicked each time my 'noisy boy' barked. Well, in time she will adjust to Willy, as all of us in this house have done!

Blog Entries
    What a sweet looking little girl. She will have a good forever home with you & the fluffs.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    She's coming around - great news! Baby steps - baby steps

In regard to a harness. I had to use a harness on Sparky since he was a "puller" - big time - and Wolfy is the same. Neither got the message when I tried to break them of it. Anyway - I never had either slip out of the one I'll enclose a pic of, but the so called "easy step in" one, Wolfy has gotten out of with no problem. Plus I don't like the webbing they use in them - too stiff and scratchy. The one I use is made by Yuppie Puppy, but I've seen other brands on line too, it's easy on and off and simple to adjust, and the strips that go under his front legs are sherpa padded, so it's nice and comfy. They are kinda hard to find in stores, but readily available on line.

Just a little info for you if you might be interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Wow, two miles! Good girl, Belle! I am glad you were able to walk on a harness with the others! You visited mum's bedroom in the night, but stayed on the floor. Sounds like that was okay with mum. I won't ask her to pet you for me today, since you don't like to be touched. I am grateful for this happy update! Yay! Mum and the others will help you to not be afraid and all will be fine in time.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678