Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello to all

Hello to all

Yes it's me, Slick. This is a rather hard post to write but I feel it is necessary. I have been pretty healthy for the past 3 years or so and enjoying retirement. Still, being around animals brings me the most joy in my life. Since the passing of Yodee I have stuck to the decision not to get a another pet, at least for this year. Need to concentrate on getting my financial status stable enough to handle vet bills as well as target my own health.

Three months ago I started not to feel very well. My blood pressure started to climb and I developed cough and shortness of breath. My doc sent me for tests and in the meantime I went on an 8 day road trip to visit friends and family in Alberta. While there I got really ill and ER doc (a cutie pie too ) said I had bacterial pneumonia. When I got back to B.C. I went for a CT scan which revealed a new spot on my right lung and it is highly likely that the cancer is back again, however we are not 100% certain because the spot is in the exact location where the pneumonia was. I have another scan scheduled for August 19th and doctor's appointments after that to determine the next step. For those who don't know, I had a bout of cancer in 2006 with the same symptoms prior to being diagnosed. On my 5th year followup I was told I didn't need any more scans unless I developed a cough or shortness of breath. Let me just say though that I'm not going down without a fight.

In addition, a week ago I spent all night in my ER because all day I had such a racing heart I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. This ER doc said I have AFIB (arterial fibrillation) so now I have a whole slew of cardiac tests and appointments to keep regarding that. If my heart starts racing again, I have to stop everything and get myself to an ER to receive IV med to slow my heart down. My Mom has the same affliction and my brother had a heart attack a couple of years ago.

I've also recently learned that my neighbour down the hall who took care of me in 2006 has been diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer. She is 81 years old and one of my very best friends up here. I'm gutted about this.

I guess what I really want to say is "don't waste time". What I mean is, stop putting off all the things on your bucket list. Stop putting off expressing your love for someone. Hug someone everyday. Hug your pet everyday. Don't be afraid to communicate. Talk things out and find a solution. Life is precious.

There are only a few of you on Pet Talk whom I feel close to and you know who you are. My apologies for not keeping in touch more often via email. I've just been feeling so down. All this happening to me who is active, the correct weight and eats right. Ha!

On a brighter note though, I get to look after two sweet and adorable cats for a week this month. I'm stoked.

Take care all of you and remember the words to that old song
    "If you can't be with the one you love, honey"
    "Love the one you're with"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Awww, Slick, good to hear from you, sorry you have been dealing with such difficult news! Sending you prayers for you and your dear neighbor. Enjoy the kitty visitors! Hugs being sent as well.
    I've Been Frosted

Sorry to hear such bad news. I'll keep you in my prayers Slick.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Dear Slick, it's so good to hear from you. We have you, and your beloved neighbor too, in our prayers as you go through these tough times. Your kitty-in-law Sparkler sends all her love. Enjoy your kitty charges!

from your friends in Ann Arbor
    Sparkler, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, and Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Dear Slick,

I am glad you posted and shared this info with us. I firmly believe in the adage: Trouble shared is trouble halved; Joy shared is joy doubled.

You have many friends on here. We haven't met, but online friendships are powerful. I am adding my prayers from RI, for your continued fight back to good health. Your neighbor will also be in my prayers.

Slick, it's good to see you post here, although I had hoped for better news. I've been thinking of you a lot lately and will send you an e-mail tomorrow.

I have some computer issues to deal with and I'm also looking after a cat until August 15th.

Take care!

Love and big ((((hugs)))) from me.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Slick, please know you are in my thoughts. I've had the pleasure of speaking with you over the phone several years ago and we had a lovely conversation.
    I will send positive thoughts to you and your dear neighbor.

Enjoy your "therapy" with the kitties this month.

Lots of hugs!
    Cindy
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Hi slick. You beat this before, so I pray you beat it again - and that the spot is from the pneumonia and not cancer.

I have two friends with aterial fibrillation - they have a pacemaker type of thing that slows the heart down if it races.

And your dear neighbour...I am so sorry you are dealing with so much pain in your life right now.

You have worked so hard to attain great health and I hope this stands you in good stead as you move forward.

HUGS AND PRAYERS!

Glad you look after two kitty nurses this month - it will be great for you both.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi, my friend!!! So good to hear from you, just wish you were feeling better!!! Prayers are ramped up for you for sure from me!!! I am in a bit of a pickle myself right now but don't want to bore you with the details. I'll email you soon. Meantime, enjoy your kitty visitors and take care of yourself the best you can. I'm hoping the spot on your lung is caused by your pneumonia not cancer and can be treated easier. I'll be sure asking all our PT angels in heaven to pray for you too. I'm sure they already are but it won't hurt to remind them.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 08-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aw damn, I was hoping you'd be posting about a new kitty. Well, we'll just have to ramp up the prayers again, for both you and your neighbour. Enjoy your kitty visitors, they'll be good medicine for you. Cali and Diego send purrrrs and love, they're not really into cuddles. I send you good, healing energies and will keep you in my nightly prayers.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Slick - I admit that I know next to nothing about you, even tho I guess I can be considered somewhat of an oldie here, based on the years I have been a member. It seems we just traveled in different circles with different folks - me with mostly dog people - and you with cat people. But we are all part of this one, big, pet-loving community, and it matters not which road we walk on since they all merge together at the end.

So you have my most sincere wishes that this new bump in the road, will prove to be nothing more than a nuisance and annoyance, and that you will go on and thrive, and take on the roll of kitty mom again soon.

Best wishes to your friend, too.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Will be saying prayers for you, Slick. I agree with everything that everyone else has already said.

and (((HUGS)))-- elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I do not know you but I am so sorry you are having health problems. You will be in my prayers for better health.... Kay

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hey, Slick, good to hear from you. Sorry about the circumstances - never thought I'd say this, but prayers for pneumonia???
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!