Thread: I am ashamed of the fellow countrymen/women who do this.

I am ashamed of the fellow countrymen/women who do this.

Oh my Chris, how sad! I am surprised that this is occuring BEFORE Christmas. I was just thinking to myself today as I read my local paper, and found myself looking at "pets for sale" (don't ask me why I always read this part of the paper ) that the ads have more than doubled. So many of the ads say "Ready for Christmas." This just makes me cringe. I have to wonder how many who buy A LIFE for Christmas will toss it aside come January. Too sad to even think about.

It's a very common event here, too. One day last winter while dropping off some Xmas gifts and treats for the doggies and kitties, I got into a conversation with one of the shelter workers. She told me that the "surrender" at shelters rate goes way up BEFORE Xmas. Seems many families, expecting holiday guests, just don't want to deal with the older dogs issues and decide to have a stress free Xmas by giving them up. My vets calls the week before Xmas the death week as many people don't want to be hassled with a sick/elderly dogs/cats during the holidays and bring in their doggies and kitties to be euthanized before their guests arrive. Well, they were going to do it soon anyway! Grrrrr

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

a very sad commentary on humankind.

This makes me so sad. I work at a pet store, and I see stuff like that all the time. Hamsters are one thing that everyone seems to want to get their kids for Christmas.

When my dog gets old, we will be grateful to have her still be a part of the holiday festivities. She is an irreplacable family member, as all pets should be.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Re: I am ashamed of the fellow countrymen/women who do this.

This is aweful.. but at least the dogs and cats can survive the cold and have plenty of shelters helping to find them homes.. most exotics who are thrown away.. freeze to death in the snow or are put down by shelters who can not take care of them... Our Savannah monitor.. was found right after christmas in the snow in NY.. the poor guy nearly froze.

Pets as gifts is a stupid idea!!!!!!!!!
    Titania

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
    --John Muir

Clockwise from top left: Alice, Myrtle, Moo Shu, Griz and Nando

This is indeed a sad commentary on humankind. What's next, "pulling the plug" on Grandma so you don't have to inconvenience yourself by buying her gifts? I can't believe people would worry more about temporary house guests for a one-day celebration, than they would about their own "allegedly" loved pets. How ironic, too, that Christmas is when you're supposed to feel even more compassionate. I'm not a member of any particular faith, (as discussed AT LENGTH on another thread ), but I sincerely hope there IS a Hell for people like this.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Oh Titania the poor thing! It was so good of you to take him in.

One of my old co-workers had a savannah monitor that was abandoned along with a car on his street. It was in a box in the backseat for over a month before the car was opened up and the poor monitor found.

Thank you Wolf_Q!