Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m Not Gonna Lie. When I Just Learned The Truth About Dogs, It Made Me Sick.

I’m Not Gonna Lie. When I Just Learned The Truth About Dogs, It Made Me Sick.

Some dog breeds have been around for hundreds of years… but they weren’t exactly how we know them today. Those “purebred” dogs were bred for certain characteristics and over time, breeders hoped to perfect these dogs. They wanted to make them more beautiful, more athletic and fit their “breed standards” better. But, the only thing they did was make those dogs mere shadows of their former selves thanks to gene mutations and manipulation. The dogs are inbred mutants, prone to genetic defects and disorders that sometimes lead to a lifetime of pain or even death.
    The older images you see below are from a 1915 book called “Breeds of All Nations.” Those images were placed side-by-side with the modern versions of the dogs. This will surprise and disgust you.
    1. The Bull Terrier used to be an athletic, attractive dog. Over the years, its snout was mutated to be oversized leading to respiratory issues, plus many Bull Terriers now have supernumerary teeth and are compulsive tail-chasers.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

2. The Basset Hound never used to sit so low. The dog has suffered changes to its rear leg structure, has excessive skin, vertebra problems, droopy eyes prone to entropion and ectropion and excessively large ears.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

3. The Boxer now has a much shorter face with an extremely short snout. The hindquarters are also lower. Like all bracecyphalic dogs, the Boxer has difficulty controlling its temperature in hot weather, the inability to shed heat places limits on physical performance. The Boxer has also one of the highest cancer rates and many Boxers suffer from seizures.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

4. The English bulldog has evolved into a creature that suffers from almost every known disease. A 2004 survey by the Kennel Club found that they die at the median age of 6.25 years. They cannot mate without medical intervention. There’s no such thing as a healthy bulldog.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

5. The Dachshund, at one time, used to have functional legs and necks for their size. Their backs and necks have gotten longer, chest jutted forward and legs have shrunk to such proportions that there is barely any clearance between the chest and floor. Their risk for intervertebral disc disease which can result in paralysis is incredibly high. They are also prone to achondroplastic related pathologies, PRA and problems with their legs.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

6. The German Shepherd Dog has been mutated into a dog that can barely walk, compared to its predecessor. The German Shepherd used to be a large, muscular dog that could jump and run without any issue. Now, it is an angulated, barrel-chested, sloping back, ataxic breed. The breed changes serve no purpose and only hurt the dog.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

7. The St. Bernard has always been a large dog, but now the modern breed has been oversized, had it’s faced squished in, and bred for abundant skin. The dog quickly overheats and cannot work like the breed was meant to. Their common diseases include entropion, ectropion, Stockard’s paralysis, hemophilia, osteosarcoma, aphakia and fibrinogen deficiency.

wordpress.com

wordpress.com

7. The Pug is another dog that was bred to be extremely brachycephalic breed (with its nose squashed in) and it has all the problems associated with that trait; high blood pressure, heart problems, low oxygenation, difficulty breathing, tendency to overheat, dentition problems, and skin fold dermatitis. Even the double-curl tail is actually a genetic defect, in more serious forms it leads to paralysis.

wordpress.com

And if new puppies don’t fit these ridiculous (and often harmful) breed standards? They are culled by breeders, which means completely healthy puppies are euthanized, just because they don’t look perfect.
    This is sick.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It makes me sick too to see what they're doing to some of the breeds.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

It's disgusting that breeders are allowed to do this. In the future, many won't be recognizeable.(can't spell that)

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Anything humans do can be taken too far. I do put the fault on dog shows, and the artificial standards they invent and purport to uphold.
    I've Been Frosted

OMG do I *ever* agree with the statement "there is no healthy bulldog". I think the fact that these dogs can no longer reproduce naturally without human/medical intervention speaks for itself.

I think the most alarming changes to me are the bull terrier (they have seriously messed this breed up mentally) and German Shepherd.

facebook

Blog Entries
    Simply reading about this makes me very uncomforatable, It's obcene and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    OMG do I *ever* agree with the statement "there is no healthy bulldog". I think the fact that these dogs can no longer reproduce naturally without human/medical intervention speaks for itself.

I think the most alarming changes to me are the bull terrier (they have seriously messed this breed up mentally) and German Shepherd.
    Yes, I see the German Shepherds in show, and their hips just look painful to me! Give me a good, healthy dog any day, those artificially low back ends just cause trouble! And that they have distorted the Bulldog and even some other of the "push-face" dogs so C-section are required SHOULD be a hint that the breed standard need to be modified for healthier dogs!

And while we are at it, stop cropping ears and tails when it serves no other purpose than looks!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Anything humans do can be taken too far. I do put the fault on dog shows, and the artificial standards they invent and purport to uphold.

I agree with Karen on this.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

The destruction of the German Shepherds as a breed is sad, but my father told me years ago that they "Bred the brains out of them". There's a reason my uncle Fred got his shepherds from Germany instead of getting them from a "reputable" breeder in the states.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The destruction of the German Shepherds as a breed is sad, but my father told me years ago that they "Bred the brains out of them". There's a reason my uncle Fred got his shepherds from Germany instead of getting them from a "reputable" breeder in the states.
    Ayup - even if his Trooper ended up with "ears so big his brains fell out" (as Uncle Fred used to joke), at least his hips were fine, and he was a gorgeous, healthy dog!
    I've Been Frosted

Or his last Shepherd, (Kaiser?) who was a big goofball.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Or his last Shepherd, (Kaiser?) who was a big goofball.
    Kaiser was his dog when I was little, Ki for short always was put in the basement when I was visiting, as he was not fond of little kids*. Then was Sergeant (Sarge), then was Trooper.

*Especially ones who insisted on hugging dogs as soon as one encountered them!
    I've Been Frosted

He had one after Trooper he was really proud of, that's the one I'm drawing a blank on the name.

The same can be said of some cat breeds. The Persian face is not naturally pushed in. It was bred to be that way. The squished face causes so many problems.

Don't get me started on munchkins.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)