Thread: Siberian forest cats

Siberian forest cats

I was wondering after reading posts on main coons and "weegies" greasy fur problems...if anyone has help as to solving the water resistance Siberian 3 layer coat! My boy on top of everything is hyper thyroid. I saw someone mention a mechanic degreaser thing...is that safe? I brush constantly, but Merlin needs help, blew out his knee, his hips are bad and HIGH as Siberians are jumpers ergo this causes a sway back and now his back hurts. He is on prednisolone, carbimazole and emergency buprenorphine (only when he cant move,) I put him through PT every day so his muscles stay toned. But his good days are great..his bad ..awful. he just has a trouble grooming and is soooo greasy!!!

Have you tried sprinkling cornstarch in his fur as you comb him? That's not toxic if he ingests it/ Poor kitty, I am glad he has a loving human in you!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Meg! View Post
    I was wondering after reading posts on main coons and "weegies" greasy fur problems...if anyone has help as to solving the water resistance Siberian 3 layer coat! My boy on top of everything is hyper thyroid. I saw someone mention a mechanic degreaser thing...is that safe? I brush constantly, but Merlin needs help, blew out his knee, his hips are bad and HIGH as Siberians are jumpers ergo this causes a sway back and now his back hurts. He is on prednisolone, carbimazole and emergency buprenorphine (only when he cant move,) I put him through PT every day so his muscles stay toned. But his good days are great..his bad ..awful. he just has a trouble grooming and is soooo greasy!!!
    I'm sorry to hear about Merlin's health issues. How old is he, and how long ago was he diagnosed with hyperthyroidism? Why is he on prednisolone?
    As you know, his poor coat condition is a result of all those health problems. Brushing and combing is good start, at least once daily. I use a steel flea comb to get the undercoat of my cats combed out. Also make sure that he is at a healthy weight.
    There are safe pain medications for cats that can be used on a regular basis, one being gabapentin (Neurontin). Also start him on a glucosamine supplement for his joints, if he's not already on it.
    You can support his skin and coat health with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (also good for his joints).
    Merlin is lucky to have you to care for him!
    Please keep us updated how everything is going.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Dear Meg, welcome to Pet Talk! I don't have any specific advice for you, but my two kitties and I are sending along our best wishes and hopes to Merlin and you with this. Please keep us posted.

How wonderful that Merlin has you looking after him and taking such good, loving care of him!

Hugs for you and pets for Merlin, from Pat

~~~PURRRRRS~~~ from Sparkler and Galaxy
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery