Thread: 4 week old kitten grinding teeth

4 week old kitten grinding teeth

I had an epiphany today while trying to coax General Grape (who my friend tells me is now renamed to General Grapenut) to eat more. He hasn't been gaining weight, and he still looks thin and dehydrated, whereas the other two are gaining rapidly and look fantastic.

I was watching him eat and I realized that he goes for the food, takes three or four bites, and then walks away. I was trying to figure out what made him lose interest, and I noticed that he chews only on one side of his mouth, jerks his head sometimes, and grinds his teeth occasionally when eating.

Naturally, it's a holiday weekend and the only clinic that's open right now is the emergency clinic. HIS vet isn't open until Tuesday. I've been syringe-feeding him a little bit of water and making sure the soft food is mushed up into a slurry. I also bought a box of Forti-Flora today (WHAT A HASSLE!! I had two places LIE and tell me it's prescription-only before I found somewhere that would sell it to me!! Prescription probiotics, what nonsense...) which has increased his interest in the food.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why he might be grinding at four weeks old or what I can do to keep his weight up until he can see the vet? He is still playing with toys, still RUNS out the door of the bathroom every time I open it, he just looks like a little skeleton. Of course we will go to emergency immediately if he starts looking unhappy, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

I'm offering four dishes of food; crunchy kibble, soaked kibble, wet food, and a bowl of KMR. I've seen him eat at all of them, though he loses interest after a few bites still.

Maybe call my beloved Angell Memorial - Boston's MSPCA 24/7 animal hospital, and ask for ideas? They are always open, and have good folks on staff to handle phone calls ...

Angell Memorial Emergency: 617-522-7282 (press 1)
    I've Been Frosted

Love your names.

Is General Grapenut a foster? The shelter/rescue could help?

Is his mouth sore? Or his throat is sore? Red or inflamed? I'm thinking stomatitis.

After you've ruled physical injuries or distress, I would consider diet. Some cats do not handle grains or any fillers in their diet.

I researched this and found some interesting pages. Dehydration seems to be a major symptom or cause listed on these pages. Perhaps some sub-Q fluids?

2. Difficulty eating (dysphagia) or loss of appetite. This can present as avoidance of dry food, chewing on only one side of the mouth, dropping food from the mouth while eating (called quidding), or vomiting unchewed food.

source: http://www.catchannel.com/magazines/...oral-pain.aspx

Teeth Grinding
    Cats who grind their teeth may have excess stomach acid. Dental problems are another possible cause. It may also be a sign of dehydration. Very occasionally, this might be a sign of "rubber jaw", caused by a condition related to the CKD called secondary hyperparathyroidism.

Animal Dental Center of Milwaukee and Oshkosh discusses the various causes of teeth grinding in cats.
    Youtube has a video of a cat grinding his/her teeth.

See the source for links.

source: http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_re...e_products.htm

I hope this helps.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Karen, I called a 24hr hospital and was told pretty much to keep doing what I'm doing and watch his hydration closely.

General Grapenut is a foster...the shelter's vet clinic is closed until Tuesday. He does have an appointment Wednesday, I just hate to wait so long.

*Something* appears to have changed overnight. I don't know if he was grinding because he was dehydrated and my syringe-feeding him water helped, or if he had a loose tooth that has fallen out, or if it's something totally different, but the grinding seems to be gone now. He dove into the fresh food this morning with more enthusiasm than he had last night, though he still jerks and shakes his head while he's eating.

They are eating Royal Canin Babycat formula kibble and wet food, which is, frankly, amazing for kittens, despite what the ingredient label says. I DO have a can of Wellness Core that I'll try on them tonight.

He also feels a little heavier, though I loaned out my scale yesterday so I won't be able to confirm that until tonight. Paws crossed that he is gaining now!

I hope the Good General keeps improving and that you get all your questions aswered on Tuesday.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Karen, I called a 24hr hospital and was told pretty much to keep doing what I'm doing and watch his hydration closely.
    He also feels a little heavier, though I loaned out my scale yesterday so I won't be able to confirm that until tonight. Paws crossed that he is gaining now!
    That's good, isn't it nice to have your intentions confirmed as correct?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    That's good, isn't it nice to have your intentions confirmed as correct?
    Oooh yes, my anxiety level went down several notches, LoL!

Woot! The General is gaining weight! Not as quickly as his siblings, but then he is both growing AND trying to make up for being so thin that he could have been called emaciated. Happy dance!

I did hear a little more grinding tonight, hopefully I can get some answers soon!

Hooray!!! HALLELUJAH!!! You keep on keeping on, dear little General!

We are praying for you, and all of you, and sending our love.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Well...the good news is, the vet didn't find anything wrong with Grapenut. The bad news is, the vet didn't find anything wrong with Grapenut. He is doing better now, I've stopped syringe feeding him because he is steadily gaining weight without it. He gained almost 2oz yesterday!!

Well...the good news is, the vet didn't find anything wrong with Grapenut. The bad news is, the vet didn't find anything wrong with Grapenut. He is doing better now, I've stopped syringe feeding him because he is steadily gaining weight without it. He gained almost 2oz yesterday!!
    Is he still grinding his teeth, or is that completely done with?
    I've Been Frosted

I'm not sure...I haven't heard it in a day or so, but every time I think it's gone I hear it again. Silly boy.

I'm not sure...I haven't heard it in a day or so, but every time I think it's gone I hear it again. Silly boy.
    As long as he isn;t doing it constantly and damaging his teeth, I suppose it's just a quirk of his!
    I've Been Frosted