Thread: Male chihuahua bleeding from genitals..?

Male chihuahua bleeding from genitals..?

I have a 5 yr old male Chihuahua named Pupito, earlier today he was excited by something and his penis came out, it got very swollen and turned a purple-ish color. When he stood up from where he was I noticed that he was also bleeding...not profusely (a few drops), but enough to worry me. I don't know if that's normal when they get excited or if there's a medical problem that causes this. Please help?

Hi, Autumn! Is he neutered? In any case, he should see a vet as soon as possible, as this can be an indicator of anything from a urinary tract infection, to an injury to the penis, to prostate cancer, so it is best to get him examined.
    I've Been Frosted

Yes he has been neutered

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    Yes he has been neutered
    That's good. If it is still dripping blood, a vet visit is definitely in order.
    I've Been Frosted

Males can suffer from something called paraphimosis, where the penis comes out and does not retract back in. Depending on how long it is stuck out, the tissue of the penis can become dry and, in worst cases, can become necrotic from loss of blood supply to the tissue from being stuck out.

Since you're seeing blood, this may indicate that the tissue became too dry and went back in, causing irritation, or the tissue was out for too long and is starting to cause irritation or issues.

In either case, PLEASE consider a vet visit, ESPECIALLY if the penis is still stuck out.

facebook