Thread: I also want to tell you about my Ghost Wolf!

I also want to tell you about my Ghost Wolf!

He was 6 weeks old and weighed 5.3 lbs. when he came to live with me; just a little ball of white fur with stick em up ears. He was 12 years 10 months and was 120 lbs of White German Shepherd when he left me on 1/7/14.

Ghost was a Mama's dog; he was usually right at my side. If I cried I always tried to be very quiet because he would come over and help me cry by howling. I could ask him to sing and he would howl.......if I ask him to hit a high note he would take it up a notch. I called him my 'Big Puppy' because even at almost 13 years old he would stand at the door barking, asking me to go outside when he did to throw sticks, spray him down with the water hose, do tugs, etc.

Ghost had hip problems and I had started him on adequan injections. He had received three shots and I could already see a difference. He slipped on my tile floor on a Saturday and hurt his front leg. With his hips being weak, he wasn't able to go on three legs like most dogs would. I kept him off his feet over the weekend per the vet's instructions. On Monday the vet said I could try to get him up if I felt safe. Ghost had been sitting up on his haunches and front legs so I thought I would put a towel under him and try. When I got home, he stood up by himself and I said "No, No, lay down" so he did. I got a towel to hold him with in case he fell and told him to get up. Before I could get the towel under him, his leg gave way, he fell against the wall and broke his leg above the elbow. My vet sent me straight to the Animal Emergency Hospital. They said they were going to sedate him lightly, take ex rays, give him something for pain and the surgeons would decide on what procedure to take the next morning. I tried to get them to let me stay with him because he had never been separated from me but they wouldn't. They said none of their patients were used to being away from their owners, that he would be fine and that I could see him around 9:00 the next morning. He didn't seem upset when they wheeled him out.........he just lay there with those ears up and watched me. I had explained to him that I would be back in the morning and that they were going to fix his leg. I called to check on him at 11:00 pm and they said he was resting good. The phone rang at about 6:30 the next morning while I was getting ready to go to work and thinking about seeing my baby at 9:00. Ghost had gone into cardiac arrest and was not responding to CPR. He was gone by the time I got there, I was shocked and devastated. The vet said that a lot of times when big dogs have a bad break it causes blood clots. I think, however, it was a combination of the morphine they gave him and the stress of being away from me. If they had let me stay he may have been OK. I had prayed that night though that if the surgery wasn't going to work, if he was going to suffer or if I was going to have to put him down for God to just please take him on so I feel like my prayer was answered. It doesn't ease the pain any though and I was so hurt because I didn't get to be with him at the end. The vet said he was sleeping so hopefully he went peacefully. I miss him so much. This is the second baby I've lost in a year; Kodi in April of 2013 (13 years old) and now Ghost. Thank God I still have my Dak (11 years old)

Rest in Peace Ghost, you are loved and missed. I know tho that you are with all your brothers and sisters, running and playing without pain. I came across this poem and it really touched me, in fact it brought tears.. Just wanted to share it with those of you who have lost loved fur babies. Sorry to have taken so much room.

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
    I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
    You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
    I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
    I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
    I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
    I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
    It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
    To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
    You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
    In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
    and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
    And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
    I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

Author ~ unknown

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    Anatole France

Rest in peace, dear one! You left deep paw prints on your mom's heart for certain!
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry about your beloved boy! RIP dear sweet one!!!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Run free Precious Ghost. You are free of your tired, aching body so run as fast as the wind -- but stop by every now and then to let your Mom feel your spirit.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Blog Entries
    That was very touching, I wept. Some of us have lost so very many, they are so beautiful.

Oh My! I am crying from reading your tribute to Ghost and the poem was very touching also. I am so sorry you lost your beloved friend and pet. He sounds as if he was a very loving intelligent smart dog and a big part of your life. If it helps any, I do believe that you will see him again one day. Try to think of Ghost as being healthy right now running and not in pain and having fun at RB. My condolences to you. ((Hugs)).... Kay