Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times does your dog go out?

How many times does your dog go out?

Hi all,

Just wondering how many times a day you take your dog outside. Our Murphy (two-year-old basenji mix) goes out 4 times, sometimes 5 on the weekend: first thing in the morning, midday, after dinner, and before bed. Except for the before-bed time, he gets a 20-30 minute walk each time. (We live in the city and don't have a yard.)

When we first adopted him, we were taking him out 6-7 times a day...but now we've settled on 4, and this seems to work well for him. Just wondering how it compares with other folks!

My dogs go out 4-5 times a day too.

I'm pettsitting a lot over the holidays and most of the dogs I'm watching seem to go out 3-4 times a day (I'm doing a lot of running back and forth between houses letting dogs in and out).
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Ricky & Lucy Tu go 4 times a day, more if I am in the walking mood. Every once in a while one of them will give me the signal that they have to go between usual times but mostly they are on schedule.

mickey is still a 2 month old pup, so we take him out whenever we see him sniffing around. but we always take him out in the morning and before bed. we also make sure to take him out 5 minutes after he's drank.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

About 4 or 5 times too. They're both a little over a year, and this works well for them. They get about a 20-30 minute walk (we live in an apartment) each time. First thing in the morning, before work, after work, evening, and before bed--sometimes the after work and evening one are combined, but that's pretty much their schedule. Kito was sick over the weekend, and barking at 4 am to go out, but he's back to his regular schedule now.

Sadie and Cincy always go out first thing in the morning (6am), right after I get home from work (4:30 pm) and before bed (11pm). Other then that they are in and out all evening, usually just to play or check things out, depending on their moods and the weather.

We go out with our dog about 4-5 times a day.
    Usually 30minute walks, but our daywalk is 1-2 hours, he does need a lot of exercise, and so do I

I take my dogs out to potty at least 4 times a day. Then we go out twice a day for excesize!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

If I had a dollar for every time Bella goes out each day I could pay off my mortgage in no time. Since we have a fenced in yard it is no problem really. She asks to go out mainly to scope out the smells in the yard (has to see who or what has been around) or to chase off the threatening squirrels. Sometimes she will ask to go out within ten minutes of her last 'outing.' These are obviously not all potty breaks because when we are away at work she 'holds it' quite well. She is just an outdoorsy type gal I guess.

I'm with Pam! I'd be rich! They are in & out all day long (we also have a fenced yard), sometimes too much

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I let Juneau out in the AM when I get up, he can stay out there until i leave if he wishes but he never wants to . then i get home around 5 and let him out
    then he gets let out whenever he wants after that. and always gets let out before bedtime.
    Owned by a demanding cat. Lol

Smokey goes out in the morning (4:45am)
    In the afternoon when I get home (2:15pm)
    During our walk/run in the early evening
    If I have plans then he goes out before I leave and then
    When I get home / Before bed

And maybe another time in between... sometimes he's in the yard for a while so he may go then.
    But I "make" him go 4 or 5 times a day.

How much do I love the "Go Potty" command? So much.
    Too bad I won't have the luxury of just opening the back door and telling him to go for much longer. Dang.

owens got a doggie door

when i'm home he comes and goes to HIS back yard as much as he wishes. i put up a little fence (he's a scottie) between the main back yard and his backyard. mine has grass, flowers etc. and french doors. his has dirt. lots of it. and a dog door in the screen door. he can dig to his hearts content. and i can close it for security. its a great compromise. fortunately. his has the driveway (behind a fence) so theres some concrete to clean his feet and trim his nails. and its an area i wasnt going to do anything with, so he can do whatever he wants. i cant believe how well its worked out. when im at work, he;s inside. he has a big head, and gets it stuck in things sometimes. plus, once in a while something strange finds its way into the yard. im just not comfy leaving him out all day alone (big city). he's fine though, he has the house, and toys to play with. the cat uses the dog door too. the only conflict comes when dog wants to go out when i come home and cat wants to come in (he was a stray). (insert clint eastwood whistling music here). owen is the alpha so he always wins, but its interesting to watch the starefest before the cat backs down and lets the dog out before he goes in.

when i want owen in i knock on a window. he comes running. when i want clive the cat in i kick the dog door and he comes running. lord i'm spoiled.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

my dogs go out 5-6 times a day. 1-2 more times oing to the park and playing.
    i have lots of friends that are breeders. if you are in need of a puppy let me know.

if you have a dog in need of a home let me know. i may take it.

I have no idea how many times they go out because I can't count them all. They love it outside. Sometimes they drive us nuts going in and out. When we work, they get to go out in the morning, at lunch, and after work. However, when we're home, they like to go in and out more to just play but we don't mind because we've got kind of a small house for them to play in. They only problem is when they are digging! But, we've got more and more toys out there to try to keep them busy while out there. Plus, we've had a pretty warm winter here so it's only during the rainy times that we really try to discourage them from going out so often. It's so cute to see them playing together though!