Thread: Question for someone older ...

Question for someone older ...

I sent a FB message to CyberSibes, but I know she's away right now. This is something maybe only someone older than me, and with an artistic bent, would know:

When I was a kid, I basically had just two "colors" of ink available beside black and indigo blue for my calligraphy pens. One was Allizaron Crimson, and the other was a "Lord SomethingorOther" Gray that had was an almost black with a blue tint when used thinly. Have you any idea what it was called, way back in the dark ages? Hoping this rings a bell for someone, at least!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, do you know if that is a color that was used/called the same in England? If so, my graphic designer friend may know what you are referring to. He's old school.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Karen, do you know if that is a color that was used/called the same in England? If so, my graphic designer friend may know what you are referring to. He's old school.
    Yes, it probably was! Thanks for asking!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm not finding a Lord anything. Maybe you mean Logwood?

http://www.paintmaking.com/historic_pigments.htm

And :

Logwood Inks write a purplish black and dry black, and are in general use in schools and for other purposes where absolute permanency is not required.

From this site: http://www.evanlindquist.com/otherme...dinknotes.html

The sample looks more blue than black on this page: http://www.evanlindquist.com/otherme...dinknotes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I'm not finding a Lord anything. Maybe you mean Logwood?

http://www.paintmaking.com/historic_pigments.htm
    It was not Logwood, that's for sure. And the one I am thinking of specifically was not purplish when thinner, more on the teal side of blue than the purple side like Indigo ink is.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Well I certainly qualify as "older", , but there are no bells ringing here in DE.

Asiel might know - she does a lot of art work, but hasn't been around much lately either, due to some illness in her family. I'll be emailing her later today or tomorrow, so I'll have her take a look at this thread. She's even "older" than I am!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Go look up the company, if you know it? Look up ink manufacturers and look at their inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Go look up the company, if you know it? Look up ink manufacturers and look at their inventory.
    I do not remember what the name of the company was, and it may have been a bottle I inherited from my grandmother. I could draw you the bottle shape, but ink manufacturing has changed a whole lot in the last 50-100 years, and a lot of old colors have been abandoned for being unstable, not light-resistant, etc.
    I've Been Frosted

I got the answer from cybersibes! Payne's Grey - my bottle said "Lord Payne's Grey" but he was not a lord, so I do not know why it was labeled as such!

Some history:

"The color Payne's Grey is named after a British watercolorist and art lecturer, William Payne (1760--1830), who recommended the mixture to students as a more subtle alternative to a gray mixed from black and white. In Artist's Pigments: c.1600-1835 Payne's grey is stipulated to originally have been "a mixture of lake, raw sienna and indigo."

from http://painting.about.com/od/artglos...PaynesGrey.htm
    I've Been Frosted

I came back hoping you had the answer, and yup, you do! Great news!

Glad you found the answer. Because of your question I looked for colors and found this:

http://colorsstartingwitha.facts.co/...startwitha.php

I have a cotton blouse/jacket that I really like the shape of, but not the color. It's pink, but not the right pink! I bought some "Rit" dye in USA, it's called "Scarlet." I wanted a dark "Crimson," that they didn't have, so I'll have a go with this one. Have you ever dyed clothes?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Glad you found the answer. Because of your question I looked for colors and found this:

http://colorsstartingwitha.facts.co/...startwitha.php

I have a cotton blouse/jacket that I really like the shape of, but not the color. It's pink, but not the right pink! I bought some "Rit" dye in USA, it's called "Scarlet." I wanted a dark "Crimson," that they didn't have, so I'll have a go with this one. Have you ever dyed clothes?
    Not in a long time - but what you could do is add a little blue to the "scarlet" to darken it to a more Crimson shade.
    I've Been Frosted

That sounds like a good idea. I had the choice of a Navy Blue, a bit of that might have done it. We'll see! In any case, the color will be better than what it is now.

So here is why I was wracking my brains for that name! In case you were wondering.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I got the answer from cybersibes! Payne's Grey - my bottle said "Lord Payne's Grey" but he was not a lord, so I do not know why it was labeled as such!

Some history:

"The color Payne's Grey is named after a British watercolorist and art lecturer, William Payne (1760--1830), who recommended the mixture to students as a more subtle alternative to a gray mixed from black and white. In Artist's Pigments: c.1600-1835 Payne's grey is stipulated to originally have been "a mixture of lake, raw sienna and indigo."

from http://painting.about.com/od/artglos...PaynesGrey.htm
    Glad I could help - that's an interesting bit of history, Karen!