Thread: ne1 that has raised a baby tiel bfor plz answer me somthin is rong wif my baby bird!

ne1 that has raised a baby tiel bfor plz answer me somthin is rong wif my baby bird!

is started swallowing air and now halve it's food sack is full of air!
    and it isn't chirping right since it happened!! i put it to my ear to hear it's breathing and it sounds like it is gasping or choking!!!!
    plz what can i do what is happeneing plz someone help!!!
    can i save my lil birdie i will do anything plz just help!!!!!

You need to contact an Avian Vet and quickly. Someone needs to witness this in person and give you advice. I do hope your little Cockatiel will be ok.

Hand fed Cockatiels usually do not have problems like that when being hand fed. If you are syringe feeding, it is normal for her to swallow some air. If she isn't chirping she isn't hungry any more. There is a chance you could have over fed her. Let her rest for about an hour. Since birds store food in their crops, it fills up pretty fast. After it is digested it moves down to the stomach. I have never heard of a tiel or any bird suffer from bloat.

Baby birds make sort of hissing or gasping sounds. This is normal. How do you know it is air and not food? Baby birds crops can't hold much food. You need to let her rest. How are you feeding her? If the crop is large, she has had enough to eat. If you are concerned contact your vet and ask them to show you how to properly feed your baby. may I ask why you are feeding her? Where is her mother and father? Baby birds shouldn't be hand fed until they are at least two weeks, and then you can start hand feeding and taming. You should really contact your vet.

I hope she is ok and let me know what happens.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

i contaced about 8 people and nun had an idea what to do they had never seen it before.
    i was gonna pop and it was definatly going to die!
    so we didn't want it to suffer so we gave it a needle.
    it was real quick.
    at least it is in a better place
    i didn't stop crying the whole night
    mum and dad even said i was crying in my sleep.
    i wish the little tyke could have servived.

i think it was a boy it was going to look like dad a grey it's eyes were opening and it's fethers were coming thu
    it used to wake me up 4 in the morning for feeding sometimes it would fall asleep on my chestwhen i was lying down hehe.
    it was my little baby.
    poor thing even if i did get another bird in it'd place it still wouldn't be the same. :'(

thanx for trying to help.
    it just shows how much peple care about animals
    and i apresheate it
    i hope ur day was better

I would love to assist you..but I can't make out half of the post.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Poor baby!!! I was hoping she would survive. I didn't post a reply because I don't know how to handfeed baby birds, so I wouldn't have been any help. You should've taken her to the vet. Poor baby. At least she's in a better place now.

What do you mean by "gave it the needle"? Did you poke its crop with a needle?? If so, OMG!!! Poor baby! Please explain more clearly what happened and what you did. We don't understand.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 12-18-2002 at 01:33 AM.

Me either.

Why were you taking care of him in the first place? Did you ready my first post?

A needle? Did you take him to the vet? How did you euthanize him with a needle?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by popcornbird
    Poor baby!!! I was hoping she would survive. I didn't post a reply because I don't know how to handfeed baby birds, so I wouldn't have been any help. You should've taken her to the vet. Poor baby. At least she's in a better place now.

What do you mean by "gave it the needle"? Did you poke its crop with a needle?? If so, OMG!!! Poor baby! Please explain more clearly what happened and what you did. We don't understand.
    i meant i took it to the vet and gave it the needle that makes it die very peacefuly.
    it sounds mean but it was the best thing u could do for it when it was gasping for air and dhoking and about to pop all at the same time

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Me either.

Why were you taking care of him in the first place? Did you ready my first post?

A needle? Did you take him to the vet? How did you euthanize him with a needle?
    his parents had him and were taking care of him then there was a real hot day and he was dying so it was either take it tout or let it die!
    so i took it out then the parents didn't want it any more!
    so that is when i stepped in and took care of it for a week.

and yes i took it to the vet so it could get a needle and die peacefuly not sufering

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I would love to assist you..but I can't make out half of the post.
    sorry that i was cutting halve the words down (or should i say all)
    but i was in a really big hurry to save it and didn't have much of a choice!
    sorry again.

So sorry about your bird. I have never had birds so I could have been no help. The birdie no longer has any pain or suffering. Again I am sorry.

thanx for ur symapthy
    we are going to try again next spring.
    the vet said it was a once off thing
    o it had to be my little birdie
    poor thing
    but thanx agin for ur sympathy

Awww....I am so sorry to hear about your little dear. You did the best you could.

p.s. I didn't see your post above my last one, we were posting at the same time, so I had no idea it passed away.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

ya i tryed. it's just one of those things hay.
    o well
    it's probly better up there than down here,
    lol
    thanx everyone