Thread: Keeping beagles in the dog lot

Keeping beagles in the dog lot

I've had beagle dogs all my life and i got a couple of girl dogs that are like magicians about getting out of their lot and hunting rabbits. They usually come back after a couple of hours when they get tired and i fix their latest escape hole. I have a young boy dog that is learning their bad habits and he gets out with them as i speak. They're not city dogs and don't like being in the house to mess up ther natural born instincts to want to chase rabbits.
    We take them out every so often to keep the young boy dog trained if the weather not too hot.
    Any good suggestions to keep them from getting out? I could build a barn with all the tin and cement blocks i've used to keep them in the dog lot.. Will cayenne pepper sprinkled around outside fence weak places help deter these escape artists??

Cayenne will not deter a beagle on a scent - probably won't even slow it down! Are they all "fixed?" They are notorious diggers, I am afraid no ordinary fence will be sufficient for long! Being in the house will in no way mess up their natural instincts to chase bunnies, trust me! Even city beagles who have never met a wild rabbit in their lives will take off after one, given the first opportunity!
    I've Been Frosted

Beagle escape artist solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    cayenne will not deter a beagle on a scent - probably won't even slow it down! Are they all "fixed?" they are notorious diggers, i am afraid no ordinary fence will be sufficient for long! Being in the house will in no way mess up their natural instincts to chase bunnies, trust me! Even city beagles who have never met a wild rabbit in their lives will take off after one, given the first opportunity!
    my two older dogs came in about daylight, but my younger boy beagle is still missing.. No i don't believe they're fixed when i got them from another man 3 years ago, but tried mating them a few times and no pups. They just love rabbit hunting bad and like to go when they're ready. Hope i can find my young boy dog today and if i do i will put him in another pen so he won't be learning their bad habits..

Quote Originally Posted by roundbaby View Post
    my two older dogs came in about daylight, but my younger boy beagle is still missing.. No i don't believe they're fixed when i got them from another man 3 years ago, but tried mating them a few times and no pups. They just love rabbit hunting bad and like to go when they're ready. Hope i can find my young boy dog today and if i do i will put him in another pen so he won't be learning their bad habits..
    Okay - an intact male will tend to wander more, so when you get him back, definitely get him fixed, just in case!
    I've Been Frosted

Dog still missing

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    okay - an intact male will tend to wander more, so when you get him back, definitely get him fixed, just in case!
    i got him exactly for having pups in the future. The problem is after i got him at about 3 months old and took him to the vet, she asked if had been fixed, because his testicles hadn't dropped down after 6 month's which would be rare if he did after that she said.
    He's registered akc and one of his testicles dropped down about a month ago soo waalaa a miracle. Veternarian said if you get just one to drop down you could have pups by him. When hunting with him and the two twin girl dogs, he would hunt more by himself, and hasn't been off far from my house and he knowed the way back when training him.
    This time was different--the older girl dogs stayed gone till daylight and came in after escaping, but the boy dog, scout, is still missing after 3 days. He's real loud when he barks and we,ve alerted all the neighbors and local animal shelter. It's possible coyotes could have got him or somebody wanted to keep him too. He's got dog tags on him too. I'm going to widen my search and listen for that loud squalling bark thats only one of a kind. The bad thing is if he's put up in a pen or house he never barks is the bad thing to hearing him--

Quote Originally Posted by roundbaby View Post
    i got him exactly for having pups in the future. The problem is after i got him at about 3 months old and took him to the vet, she asked if had been fixed, because his testicles hadn't dropped down after 6 month's which would be rare if he did after that she said.
    He's registered akc and one of his testicles dropped down about a month ago soo waalaa a miracle. Veternarian said if you get just one to drop down you could have pups by him. When hunting with him and the two twin girl dogs, he would hunt more by himself, and hasn't been off far from my house and he knowed the way back when training him.
    This time was different--the older girl dogs stayed gone till daylight and came in after escaping, but the boy dog, scout, is still missing after 3 days. He's real loud when he barks and we,ve alerted all the neighbors and local animal shelter. It's possible coyotes could have got him or somebody wanted to keep him too. He's got dog tags on him too. I'm going to widen my search and listen for that loud squalling bark thats only one of a kind. The bad thing is if he's put up in a pen or house he never barks is the bad thing to hearing him--
    Aww, I hope he is safe somewhere!
    I've Been Frosted