Thread: Bad day today for Jasper

Bad day today for Jasper

I got bad news about one of my foster kittens this morning (see Admiral Applesauce in Cat General) and when I got home I found that Jasper had had diarrhea in the house.

I cleaned it up, got some kaopectate into him, and took him outside....where he had more very liquid diarrhea. Once we got inside, I got him settled in his bed by my desk and he vomited a HUGE puddle onto the carpet. I tied him in the living room to clean up and he vomited again while I was cleaning the original puddle.

Now he's flopped out on a blanket...he looks like he feels awful, and he didn't even get up to follow me into the kitchen. We have a vet appt in 45 minutes...had to call a vet I don't know because my regular vet doesn't have any openings until next week!

Please send some good vibes for my little buddy, I hate seeing him like this!! He had a day like this last week, but he eventually threw up a big furball (when he was licking the cat, I have no idea, but it was white fur....) and I assumed that was the cause of the stomach upset and it was all over.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I got bad news about one of my foster kittens this morning (see Admiral Applesauce in Cat General) and when I got home I found that Jasper had had diarrhea in the house.

I cleaned it up, got some kaopectate into him, and took him outside....where he had more very liquid diarrhea. Once we got inside, I got him settled in his bed by my desk and he vomited a HUGE puddle onto the carpet. I tied him in the living room to clean up and he vomited again while I was cleaning the original puddle.

Now he's flopped out on a blanket...he looks like he feels awful, and he didn't even get up to follow me into the kitchen. We have a vet appt in 45 minutes...had to call a vet I don't know because my regular vet doesn't have any openings until next week!

Please send some good vibes for my little buddy, I hate seeing him like this!! He had a day like this last week, but he eventually threw up a big furball (when he was licking the cat, I have no idea, but it was white fur....) and I assumed that was the cause of the stomach upset and it was all over.
    Aww, hope it is nothing serious! Most dogs do not need hairball medicine!
    I've Been Frosted

Hope it is nothing serious.

Update us soon!

I'm sorry to hear this. It doesn't sound good at all. I hope the Vet can get the diarrhea stopped. Prayers for a quick recovery for Jasper.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sweet Jasper, I hope the Kaopectate works and you feel much better soon! You are such a good big brother to foster kittens! xo xo xo
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The vet took a sample of Jasper's stool, made a slide, and came back to tell me that it was "interesting", which is never good news.

There is yeast present, which itself is not making him sick but it is a sign of something wrong in his gut. She thought she saw some giardia, though she wasn't certain.

Basically, he has raging colitis and we don't know why. We sent a stool sample off to the lab, and I should know the results tomorrow. He seems to be *feeling* better, though he still has diarrhea. He's starting some Metronidazole and probiotics, and we'll see what happens in the next week or so and what the lab says.

Prayers that the meds help settle his tummy, that will help him feel better overall. Let us know how things develop.

How is Jasper Feeling??

He seems 100% better, though he hasn't pooped since th episode....which I'm assuming is good, but I keep hoping for a nice solid poop...notling like pets or kids to make that statement eh? He hates his meds, but I can trick him with a bit of bread.

7-13-14
    I'm relieved to hear he is better. I totally understand about wanting to see a "normal poop" from a pet. At first my George kitten had diarrhea & it concerned me very much. He would eat like he was starving and maybe he was with his diarrhea as food didn't stay in his system very long. We went to vet & got some of the same medicine you mentioned. I hope your kitten continues to get better.

FYI: While George was on his medicine we slowly went to Evo cat/kitten wet (agreed with him) but time passed & then I couldn't find Evo any more so I slowly switched him to Innova cat/kitten wet which he's been on some time now and it agrees with his digestive system.

He seems 100% better, though he hasn't pooped since th episode....which I'm assuming is good, but I keep hoping for a nice solid poop...notling like pets or kids to make that statement eh?

That's what I wanted to hear. I hope he keeps on getting back to normal now.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

tried to reply but my computer was saying something about the cloud offline or something???
    Anyway glad to hear Jasper is feeling better