Thread: Urinary SO

Urinary SO

My cat was recently diagnosed with Chrystals which we cleared up. He is now on the royal canin urinary SO diet and he is CONSTANTLY vomiting it up by the whole. I thought he was eating too fast so I gave him smaller portions at a time (a tablespoon every 5-10 minutes) I then tried to wet it down and nothing. He is on both wet and dry so I cut one back at a time thinking it was too much SO for him and he was still sick. I tried the science diet urinary one they have and he absolutely would not eat it (no complaints, I hate SD) He starved himself until I put the SO down. Any ideas what else I can do? He checks out fine physically, he just isnt working right with the SO :-(. I also feed him the required amount according to his weight so hes not over fed or under fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicat2516 View Post
    My cat was recently diagnosed with Chrystals which we cleared up. He is now on the royal canin urinary SO diet and he is CONSTANTLY vomiting it up by the whole. I thought he was eating too fast so I gave him smaller portions at a time (a tablespoon every 5-10 minutes) I then tried to wet it down and nothing. He is on both wet and dry so I cut one back at a time thinking it was too much SO for him and he was still sick. I tried the science diet urinary one they have and he absolutely would not eat it (no complaints, I hate SD) He starved himself until I put the SO down. Any ideas what else I can do? He checks out fine physically, he just isnt working right with the SO :-(. I also feed him the required amount according to his weight so hes not over fed or under fed.
    Look at the ingredient list, and compare it to another food that he can tolerate without vomiting - he may have a food intolerance or allergy to something in that particular food.
    I've Been Frosted

There are many prescription diets that are appropriate for urinary crystals besides just the SO. Talk with your vet about other options FIRST, BEFORE changing diets.

You could take Karen's suggestion and compare ingredients to other OTC diets, but make sure to talk it over with your vet first, understanding that while some OTC brands may claim to be for "urinary" issues, none of the OTC foods have gone through clinical trials to be able to make legitimate claims like that. The prescription foods have.

facebook

Purina has a prescription diet for urinary crystals that I've had great luck with - it's Purina UR, and it comes in canned or dry.

My RB Ming had urinary problems for years, off and on. What my vet championed was Blue Buffalo Wilderness foods, wet and dry. They have no grain or fish in them, which can aggrevate urinary systems and cause crystal formation. If you cat has food allergies, this is the stuff to feed them! Ming either vomited the SD foods or refused to eat them. He loved these foods, no vomiting or refusals.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

One of my guys is also on the Science Diet SO wet food (no dry food). I have tried both the pate and the chunks. Joseph LOVES the chunks and likes the pate. So maybe you can try a can or two of the chunk form to see if he can keep it down?