Thread: Is Ice Water Bad for Dogs?

Is Ice Water Bad for Dogs?

Is Ice Water Bad for Dogs?

Now that summer is here there’s a rumor making the rounds that giving your dog ice water on a hot day can kill her. Is ice water bad for dogs? Let’s find out.
    After a long walk on a hot day, do you look forward to a tall glass of ice water? Me too! It’s only natural to think that your dog might like a nice, cool drink after a summer walk or run. But is ice water bad for dogs? The answer seems to be a qualified no.

The ice water dogs rumor seems to stem from a 2010 blog post where a dog owner describes a very scary medical situation with her dog. She tossed a few ice cubes into her dog’s water bowl on a warm day. She also gave her dog a bowl of food. Shortly afterward she noticed that her dog was coughing, drooling, and spluttering. She says that her vet told her that the ice water had caused what’s called “bloat” or gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV). GDV is a dangerous condition where the dog’s stomach spasms and bloats. This can kill a dog. But is ice water the culprit?
    Ice Water and Bloat

There is still some question in the veterinary world as to what causes bloat. The consensus right now seems to be that eating or drinking too fast is the main cause.
    The ice water wasn’t likely what caused the dog in question to go into shock. It was that the dog drank the water and ate his food too fast. Experts say that giving your dog a small amount of water – with or without ice – is the key to avoiding GDV.
    When dogs eat or drink too fast, they inhale too much air along with the food and water. The air fills their stomach, putting them at risk for GDV. Bloat is no joke – it’s an emergency situation, and it can kill your dog.
    The video at the top of this page shows a dog experiencing bloat. Don’t worry! The dog was fine, and the voiceover you’re hearing was added later, so that other dog owners could learn from this person’s experience. The person filming this dog had no idea that he had bloat but did realize that something was wrong and rushed him to the vet, saving his life.
    So, is ice water bad for dogs? Not really. The problem comes in when your dog is so jazzed about a big, icy bowl of water on a hot day that she laps up the whole thing too quickly. This can happen with room temperature water or with food, as well.
    Recommended Reading for Dog Lovers

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That is junk science, that ice water would be bad for dogs, and it is only because of Facebook memes that people pass on without thought or research. Sure, some dogs will rack a tooth, but most won't and you can always break up the ice cubes if you dogs likes to crunch them.
    I've Been Frosted

Facebook is a blessing and a curse in that stuff spreads like wildfire... but bad information also spreads like wildfire, and a lot of people are so naive that they'll believe anything if it appears to come from a "trusted source", and sometimes a "trusted source" is their family and friends.

Sadly, anyone can put anything on the internet and look like a professional that knows what they're talking about.

Always, always, always do a little research before blindly believing something you read on the internet/facebook

So glad to see the rebuttal to this also making its rounds, though... as many people realized how silly it was.

I've seen many things cause bloat, giving ice or ice water was *never* one of them. Think of it this way... does *your* stomach start to spasm when you drink ice water or eat ice?

facebook

Yep it is a hoax, totally off base.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Some people will believe just about anything. Do your research before you push the panic button. If you have taken the time to read about it on your computer, then put the computer to good use and investigate the bogus claim. Gee - wasn't that one of the original ideas behind making computers available to all - to check out facts, etc??? Social media/drama was not something that was even in existence on computers, way back when. Too bad it didn't stay that way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Some people will believe just about anything. Do your research before you push the panic button. If you have taken the time to read about it on your computer, then put the computer to good use and investigate the bogus claim. Gee - wasn't that one of the original ideas behind making computers available to all - to check out facts, etc??? Social media/drama was not something that was even in existence on computers, way back when. Too bad it didn't stay that way.
    Oh, drama and "social media" existed on the internet even back in the very beginnings... in the form of message boards, chatrooms, and IRC... hehehe. Even back in the days of MSDOS when you have to type in command prompts to connect to chat rooms.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Oh, drama and "social media" existed on the internet even back in the very beginnings... in the form of message boards, chatrooms, and IRC... hehehe. Even back in the days of MSDOS when you have to type in command prompts to connect to chat rooms.
    Yeah, we were the weird uncle no one liked to talk about.

BTW, MS-DOS? Try CPM and HEXMON
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Just goes to show ya' - I really have been living in the dark ages. Boards and chatrooms could never hold a candle to FB tho............ JMHO, since I am not a huge fan of FB, and don't really "get it" when people rave about it. Must be an age thing.................
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Even I'm too young for those, lol. I'm technically even too young for MSDOS, but that was our first computer when I was ~10? for a short while so I got used to having to work my way around it while everyone else was using their windows based OS.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Just goes to show ya' - I really have been living in the dark ages. Boards and chatrooms could never hold a candle to FB tho............ JMHO, since I am not a huge fan of FB, and don't really "get it" when people rave about it. Must be an age thing.................
    Oh... the drama was the same then as it is now! Just a lot more "nerd" drama... now you get more "regular" people drama.

facebook