Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito repellents?

Mosquito repellents?

I am pet-sitting a cat for a few days who likes to go out in his yard in his harness and leash. He has a long tie-out lead out there, so I hook him up and he enjoys himself in the yard for about 10 minutes, while I sit on the edge of the porch keeping an eye on him and reading. Well, turns out there are lots of mosquitos around, making a most pleasant outing ...much less pleasant.

So, may I ask for suggestions on good mosquito repellents. What can I put on myself that will keep them away?

And if they do succeed in nipping me, what is a good anti-itch ointment or cream or whatever?

Thanks VERY much!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The mosquitoes are terrible here this year - especially those little but very nasty tiger mosquitoes. They bite from morning til night - not just early a.m. or later in the afternoon. One got me a few days ago, and their intense itch lasts for days. About the only thing that relieves it is the Cortizone 10 creme, but only for a few hours at a time, then you have to reapply. Benadryl doesn't work well since it's not a steroid. I keep a bottle of witch hazel in the fridge too, and that is cooling on bites and works in a pinch if you don't have anything else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

*Supposedly* you can heat up a spoon (using hot water, not hot enough to burn you) and place it on the welt from the bite and it's supposed to stop the itching and shrink the welt considerably. I have personally not used this to attest to it... my sister heard about it from my mom and was very skeptical until she tried it and it worked. Nothing to lose by doing it, eh?

As far as repellants go, I'm not as versed in it. I usually get eaten up whether I use repellants or not.

facebook

Another thing that I have heard is a paste of baking soda and water applied will help ease the itching - my body overreacts to mosquito bites (huge half-inch welt for each bite) so I will try that the next time I am unfortunate enough to get bitten. That's one of the good parts about living in the city - relatively few mosquitos!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Another thing that I have heard is a paste of baking soda and water applied will help ease the itching - my body overreacts to mosquito bites (huge half-inch welt for each bite) so I will try that the next time I am unfortunate enough to get bitten. That's one of the good parts about living in the city - relatively few mosquitos!
    When I was little my grandmother used to make a paste of baking soda and vinegar for insect bites and stings. She would mix it in a big bowl because it would fizz when she poured the vinegar over the baking soda. THe chemical reaction was a good distraction, too. Karen, I get welts when I get insect bites. I've found that clobetasol ointment (available by Rx) works really well to stop the burning/itching/swelling reaction.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have a really bad reaction to mosquito bites and so use an aerosol repellant with 30 DEET that lasts for 8 hours. I wear long sleeved tops and long pants and only spray my clothes, not my skin, if I have to spend time in the garden. If I get careless and do get bitten occasionally, I use Benadryl cream and it does work but I have to apply every couple of hours.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I'll try these.

A friend suggested OFF! Deep Woods as a repellent.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Avon has a nice skin lotion, Skin So Soft. For some reason it also repels mosquitos.

Anything with DEET in it will work. Do NOT spray this on the cat!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Another itch reliever that I forgotten about and works well, is toothpaste - a good paste like Crest - not a gel variety. I got a wasp sting on my hand several years ago, and the itch and burning was maddening! I had heard about the toothpaste treatment and tried it - and it worked. This also works well to dry up cold sores/fever blisters in short order.

As far as repellants go - nothing works very well for me - so I just tend to stay in the house when the bugs are too bad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thanks, Sandie and Ellie. CVS had the OFF!, but I got the CVS knockoff version, $2 cheaper. I'll see how that works, if the mosquitoes aren't rained out for the dinnertime visit.

Don't worry, I wouldn't spray it on Turk (the cat).

Death thought about it.

I was once stung by a wasp while calling the lines at a tennis tournament. I used the only thing available - home made lemonade - and it worked! took out the sting and the itch.

Hmmmm, interesting.. Thanks.

I'm not about to make some lemonade, but I do have a half a lemon!
    Death thought about it.

Every time my kids went on camp, I bought yellow wristbands for them (rubber)
    Those wristbands are impregnated with mosquito repellent.
    They were wearing this the whole week, and all mosquitos stayed away from my kids!
    You can buy these bands over the country in pharmacys. Maybe this also exists in the USA ??

when I get bitten by mosquitos, I put on some white vinger on the woud; No more itching!!

Those wristbands sound interesting... I wonder if they are available here. Thanks, Lut.

I'm going to take the CVS repellent back.. it's only 15% DEET, and apparently the real OFF! is 20%.

Tonight it is supposed to rain, and if it's still wet outside tomorrow, Turk probably won't want to go out. His Mom will be back on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm thinking maybe it's not worth it to get more of the stuff. He went out this evening, but I stayed on the porch and wasn't bothered by the mosquitoes.
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Those wristbands sound interesting... I wonder if they are available here. Thanks, Lut.

I'm going to take the CVS repellent back.. it's only 15% DEET, and apparently the real OFF! is 20%.

Tonight it is supposed to rain, and if it's still wet outside tomorrow, Turk probably won't want to go out. His Mom will be back on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm thinking maybe it's not worth it to get more of the stuff. He went out this evening, but I stayed on the porch and wasn't bothered by the mosquitoes.
    I can send you one if you like! Take it your pharmacist (or drugstore) and show them saying "this is what I want!!"
    Just let me know ok!, They are not expensive at all

some pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	58345
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	58346