Thread: Friskie - id this breed?

Friskie - id this breed?

I have been contacted by a shelter -- the one where I got Willy. They have this small white dog named Friskie, photo attached. He has not been adopted because he is blind. He is age 11 years. They want to know if I will take him. I am trying to sort out what breed / mix he is, what do you think?

Here is what I know so far: male, neutered, UTD, non-shedding, 90% blind (I've asked for more info, if this is cataracts, glaucoma etc). Gets along well with dogs and cats. Belonged to a couple, wife did, husband had to move in with relatives, can't care for dog or self.

I will see a dog with a Halo at the pawty later today, so that will give me more information to make a decision. For those not familiar, here is a link to the Halo for blind pets:
    http://www.muffinshalo.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Freedom; 06-28-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Friskie is part sweetheart and part adorable!

Definitely looks like there's Westie in there, and maybe Yorkie!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know what breed the dog is but he looks cute to me. Poor fella--he needs someone like you to take him. I'm sure you would give him a good home and know or find out what exactly to do to give him the best kind of life he can have. Good Luck!

Another reason I mentioned Yorkie is, besides his smaller than Westie build, Yorkshire Terriers are also prone to a blindness that can come about almost overnight, and though it doesn't seem to bother THEM much, a friend had to rehome theirs when this happened as they lived in a house with a couple flights of stairs and he fell down them twice accidentally, but would howl if they put up a gate so he couldn't get to them.
    I've Been Frosted

That's interesting, thanks Karen. And thanks everyone for the breed info.

Not sure I can take this on at this time. Waiting to hear more about what they know re his blindness.

i'll go with the obvious -- fluffy, white and cute! After looking at the photos from the Pawty I understand more about the halo. Fingers crossed that more information will get to you fast!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I drove down to see Friskie this afternoon, took my 3 along for the ride (an hour one way).

Friskie is a sweet boy, and very friendly. He is not, however, age 11 he is age 13 years. He has several age related issues, skin issues, and some other vetting. Just not something I can take on at this point in time. I highly recommended that they contact Maltese rescue; this boy has been in the sheltr for 8 weeks and at his age, that is a long time. They said the small dogs usually get adopted within 48 hours. I explained about the issues I saw, without even touching him, and then on physical exam explained a few more. Shelter volunteers are worth their weight in gold for what they do for the animals, but they have no training.

I would just say "westie mix" and leave the rest up to interpretation.

facebook

The owner turned in his paperwork with him, says he is Maltese.

So the volunteer did contact a Maltese rescue after I left, yesterday. By the time I got home I had an email on that.

Then this morning, she sent me another message, Maltese rescue has a foster mom who dotes on the older ones, that person is going to go see Friskie and see about getting him in to the program and her home. HOORAY!

Aww, that's good!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Maltese rescue has a foster mom who dotes on the older ones, that person is going to go see Friskie and see about getting him in to the program and her home. HOORAY!
    Yay, I hope it works out! Bless you, Sandie and Fluffs, for making the trip to meet Friskie! I am sure he will have a better quality of life going forward because of what you noticed about him and shared with the volunteer.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678