Thread: Working with extra-super-shy kitten, advice? *Pics*

Working with extra-super-shy kitten, advice? *Pics*

Colonel Crumpet has arrived, and he is SCARED. The first day he was home, all he did was sit in a corner and shake. I've got him set up in a big dog crate with food, water, litter, and a cozy blanket. He eats, drinks, and uses the litterbox fime.

I've been taking him out to handle several times a day. At first, I would have called him semi-feral. He hissed and poofed up at me whenever I reached for him, and tried to slink away whenever an opportunity presented itself. Now, I'd simply call him shy. He wants to hide all the time, I can't get him to play with anything, and he's just...not the bouncy, outgoing kitten he should be at his age. He lets me handle him now, though he still does hiss occasionally, and he doesn't run away immediately, though he does try to slink off after a few minutes.

I'm not sure how hard I should be pushing him, so I've been handling him on short bursts and kind of....using his loneliness against him to try and tame him....I hope that doesn't sound mean because I don't mean it to be...he wants to meet Admiral Applesauce, but they're still in separate quarantine right now, so I'll take Applesauce out to eat, and when he hears the meowing Crumpet comes to the front of his crate and tries to climb out. Once Applesauce is fed, I'll take out Crumpet and play with him for awhile. I talk quietly or sing to him a lot too. Lather, rinse, repeat every 3-4 hours.

If anyone who has more experience with feral/super shy kittens wants to chime in, I'm all ears! I'm reading up on other people's experiences taming feral kittens right now hoping for some good nuggets of wisdom.

And of course, this thread would not be complete without pics!

I snapped this one during his nail trim, he was not thrilled but he kept snagging his claws on the blanket and getting stuck!!

So scared.

He likes Jasper though!!

Also, Admiral wanted a picture in here too.

Oh, he's darling! Poor baby, so scared. You are safe now, sweetie darling, safe and warm and fed and loved FURRREVER now.

Sounds to me like you are doing just the right things, Cathy. He needs the time to begin to learn the world is no longer the utterly terrifying place it had been for most of his short existence.

God bless, and LOVE.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

OMK! What a darling little tiny blue baby kitty! Sweet Colonel Crumpet, please don't be afraid. You are very safe now! What a cute picture of you with Jasper! Sooner or later you and Admiral Applesauce will both be off of quarantine, and you'll be able to have all sorts of kitten fun! Eventually, when you stop being scared, your foster meowmie is going to give you about elebenty zillion of these for me: *kiss*!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I would continue with what you are doing, and also introduce some "pouncing practice" type toys - feather on a pole, balls that roll or crinkle, things like that! It is good he likes Jasper, that will help!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    No real advice, but was wondering if Jasper can join him while he's in quarrantine.
    Looks like he'd have a real sweet snuggle buddy to show him the ropes. He can gain his confidence by watching Jasper chill out until he's ready to meet the rest of the herd.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Oh gosh, what a cutie!! I agree, I think you're doing all the right things. I just adjusted a pretty scared kitty in my own home and it just takes that constant perseverance. Bringing toys and treats and even just sitting in the room and reading to him so he gets used to your voice? I read two and a half novels to Freya before she ventured out. If he's comfortable with Jasper, I think introducing Jasper into the "quarantine room" might help as well. I did this too, since Freya seemed fine with our other cat Phinehas. You'll get there, I promise!

Sydney ChristinOfur is shy , but she is getting better. You have to let the Kitten make the first move.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    No real advice, but was wondering if Jasper can join him while he's in quarrantine.
    Looks like he'd have a real sweet snuggle buddy to show him the ropes. He can gain his confidence by watching Jasper chill out until he's ready to meet the rest of the herd.
    Jasper has definitely been spending lots of time with the little guy!! I can't leave them unattended because Jasper occasionally likes to roll on kittens and I'm concerned that he would squash Crumpet, but I try and keep them together as much as I can.

I've introduced him to Applesause too! (Broke quarantine a little early...) They are quite a happy pair, and thay are almos thte same weight even though Applesauce is ~3 weeks younger. Applesauce is a MOOSE of a kitten, he's enormous!!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Jasper has definitely been spending lots of time with the little guy!! I can't leave them unattended because Jasper occasionally likes to roll on kittens and I'm concerned that he would squash Crumpet, but I try and keep them together as much as I can.

I've introduced him to Applesause too! (Broke quarantine a little early...) They are quite a happy pair, and thay are almos thte same weight even though Applesauce is ~3 weeks younger. Applesauce is a MOOSE of a kitten, he's enormous!!
    I'm sure glad Applesauce and Crumpet are getting along. Once Crumpet gains some weight, I can imagine a lot of wrestling going on. Since Applesauce is almost Jasper-size, I imagine that it will be a while before Crumpet wins any of the matches.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post

Just checking for an update and this is a VERY HAPPY one! xo xo xo Col. Crumpet, Adm. Applesauce and General Jasper! xo xo xo
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have had success cuddling kittens to my chest so they can hear my heartbeat. Years ago I tamed a 3 month old kitten who was a holy terror. I wore my leather jacket and heavy gloves so she wouldn't have an effect if she scratched or bit. Within a month she was giving belly and I could trim all claws, fore and aft. (I wonder what ever happened to Mouse.)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb