Thread: Need Advice Regarding Neighbors' outdoor cats...

Need Advice Regarding Neighbors' outdoor cats...

Need advice regarding neighbors' outdoor cats coming onto our property and using our mulch and plants as their own personal litterbox...

It is very frustrating when you pay hundreds of dollars for trees, shrubs, landscaping, etc... work very hard to maintain it and keep the plants healthy... only to have one of your neighbor's many cats come over, dig up all the mulch, and lay a big huge fat pile of poop in it. And I mean... mulch was *everywhere*. Not only am I frustrated by their use of our mulch as their litterbox, I am also concerned about the potential to spread disease and parasites.

I know there are natural deterrents I can use but am not familiar with what is and isn't safe and what is and isn't effective, so suggestions on this would be great.

County ordinance says leash laws applies to cats (owners must have pets under control at all times when not on their own property). We ARE planning on calling AC to complain... and will keep calling and keep complaining until this stops. Apparently other neighbors have called AC to complain about them in the past, but nothing has ever really come of it if they drive out here but don't see the cats.

But in the mean time... any suggestions to help keep them OFF our property and a potential solution to this problem?! We are at our WITS END... I even caught one hanging around in my garage the other day trying to get inside after my own cats!!!!

facebook

Apparently cedar chips are a good repellent. Try a few in one of the areas and see how it works. You can always get more chips if you need them.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I just used Google and found these 2 sites helpful:

Read on the far right side, on this one:
    http://www.ask.com/web?am=broad&q=ca...4423&l=dir&af=

http://landscaping.about.com/od/pest...repellents.htm

I wouldn't use the mothballs in the above, due to the comment of them being toxic.

I'm sure there are more on Google.

Let us know what works for you!

I have that problem with My Cats as Ebony Beau Two and Scrapster Joseph want out all the time
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I've read about using coleus canina as a natural repellant... smells like a skunk to us when the plant is disturbed, but when it is not it still smells horrible to cats and other animals. Problem is... I can't find it anywhere nearby

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Need advice . . . .

County ordinance says leash laws applies to cats (owners must have pets under control at all times when not on their own property). We ARE planning on calling AC to complain... and will keep calling and keep complaining until this stops. Apparently other neighbors have called AC to complain about them in the past, but nothing has ever really come of it if they drive out here but don't see the cats.

. . . . !
    Is animal Control calling the family before they come out? If so, then the family retrieves the cats and hides them. I'd poof the cats or make a civil complaint against them. Sue them for money in small claims court. AS a last resort, of course.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Good point. I am not sure if they call ahead of time, or not.

I hate to trap them and drop them off at the shelter... if they just stopped using my mulch as their litter box, it wouldn't be as big of a concern to me at all. But... I've almost hit them running in front of me in the street countless times as well. It's hard for me to believe that this family loves, cares about and takes proper care of these cats when they are *always* outside.

But... I am going off of other neighbors' stories. I have not spoken with the family myself. However... if a bunch of neighbors are all saying the same thing...

facebook

The only thing that will work for sure is a fence. Hey - maybe plant some catnip in their own yard!
    I've Been Frosted

I can't put up a fence around the entire perimeter of my front and back yard high enough without looking tacky... lol!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I can't put up a fence around the entire perimeter of my front and back yard high enough without looking tacky... lol!
    Some fences are prettier than others!
    I've Been Frosted

If I can *find* coleus canina anywhere (some have said they've found it at their Home Depot... I've not has such luck at any Home Depots, Lowes, etc... granted, I haven't tried nurseries yet) I'd like to give it a try as it is quite pretty and those that use it say it's pretty effective... I'd rather do that in lieu of trapping and dumping at the humane society, using chemicals on/around my plants, etc.

facebook