Thread: How to convince my parents to get me a dog?

How to convince my parents to get me a dog?

First off, if your going to be rude, please don't comment.
    X There is this shelter that is closing after my birthday, (meaning all the dogs will be moved farther into another state), and i've had my eye on this one dog. I've visted her 4 times before, and she's such a sweet heart. (Shiba inu mix)

X My aunt's dog is also giving birth in a few months. (Yorkshire terrier)

How can I convince my dad to get me a dog?
    My mom, sister and I want one (3>1).

I'm a female whom has been trying my complete hardest for over 6 years to convince my dad to get me a dog. My uncles,aunts,cousins, both grandmothers/grandfathers, mom, and sister wants to get one. My family members have even volunteered to get us one. We think he has the fear of getting the dog, when it passes. He does not want to deal with the grief do to past experiences with his two Yorkshire Terriers. Please note when he was younger, HE owned dogs and cats that he actually CARED for, and LOOKED after. He had three dogs and a cat during his childhood, and supposedly he took in another stray cat (however that's according to him about the stray cat that 'he took in', as my grandmother does not recall of it, nor has pictures of this mysterious cat.)
    It was purely HIS idea to put me in this dog training group, he found it and everything. I've been in this club for 3 years, and it's my first week by taking in my aunt's dog. She's still a puppy, and he does not seem to show much interest in her, but he'll glance at her every once in awhile.

I live with my mom,sister, and dad by the way. I was only listing family members whom volunteered.) We currently own two birds and had fish. He did not want anything to do with neither of the animals, but he got immune to them and now he will talk to the birds, and mess around with them by making high pitched voices, and having them copy. He seems to like them - and will actually look after them, for intence, when one of the birds was regurgitating food, for the female bird. Which worried him.

Any ideas?

What are your parents objections to getting a dog? How old are you, will you be planning on leaving for college?
    I've Been Frosted

I think showing that you are serious about getting a dog and are prepared to share responsibility in caring for it.

My dad was opposed to many pets that we had... mainly because he was right -- we'd get it home, love and help take care of it for the first few weeks, but after the honeymoon phase was over everything ultimately laid on HIS shoulders to care for it. And he *always* got stuck cleaning up in the yard after it.

Ultimately though, your dad's house, your dad's rules.

This may sound kind of lame, but put together a presentation.... a breakdown of finances, things you will do to help raise money to care for the dog, cost for training and how you will help out with it, etc; get together with your sisters and put together a schedule of responsibilities, ie, you will clean the yard on Wednesdays, your sisters clean the yard on Saturdays, a schedule on who will be walking the dog, who will be feeding the dog, etc.

Have a fundraiser or offer to do extra chores to help raise money to put into a vet fund to cover the cost of puppy vaccines, training, etc.

If you go to your dad with a game plan that already covers everything, he may take you a little more seriously and may consider it.

If he is still insistent against getting a dog, the most important thing is DO NOT BEG. Be mature, say, ok dad, is there anything we can do to sway your opinion? And if he says no -- DROP IT and revisit it at a later time.

But the absolute most important thing is do not go behind his back (my mom would ALWAYS do this to my dad, which created resentment of my dad toward the pet, not to mention getting into arguments about it) and do NOT beg or whine if he says 'no'. Respect his decision and be mature and he will be more likely to take you more seriously next time you present the idea.

facebook

Welcome to Pet Talk,

You have shown commitment by being in the training club for three years, but I'm confused. (Don't worry, normal state for me.) Whose dog have you been training? I saw some comments referencing your Aunt's dog that's only a puppy going with you your first week, and after that I wasn't sure. It's probably the late hour for me.

I second what the other's said. Many children go off to college or leave town for work in another city and the parents assume responsibility for the pet. Often the child is gone so long that the pet now identifies with the parent. That's why this has to be a family adventure.

Do you ever pet sit or dog walk for neighbor's or friends?

As far as funds, you need to consider yearly exams, saving for illness, etc.

Good luck.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I think showing that you are serious about getting a dog and are prepared to share responsibility in caring for it.

My dad was opposed to many pets that we had... mainly because he was right -- we'd get it home, love and help take care of it for the first few weeks, but after the honeymoon phase was over everything ultimately laid on HIS shoulders to care for it. And he *always* got stuck cleaning up in the yard after it.

Ultimately though, your dad's house, your dad's rules.

This may sound kind of lame, but put together a presentation.... a breakdown of finances, things you will do to help raise money to care for the dog, cost for training and how you will help out with it, etc; get together with your sisters and put together a schedule of responsibilities, ie, you will clean the yard on Wednesdays, your sisters clean the yard on Saturdays, a schedule on who will be walking the dog, who will be feeding the dog, etc.

Have a fundraiser or offer to do extra chores to help raise money to put into a vet fund to cover the cost of puppy vaccines, training, etc.

If you go to your dad with a game plan that already covers everything, he may take you a little more seriously and may consider it.

If he is still insistent against getting a dog, the most important thing is DO NOT BEG. Be mature, say, ok dad, is there anything we can do to sway your opinion? And if he says no -- DROP IT and revisit it at a later time.

But the absolute most important thing is do not go behind his back (my mom would ALWAYS do this to my dad, which created resentment of my dad toward the pet, not to mention getting into arguments about it) and do NOT beg or whine if he says 'no'. Respect his decision and be mature and he will be more likely to take you more seriously next time you present the idea.

Totally second this! Especially the end. You do not want a dog your dad resents, and you do not want to have to be afraid he will drop it at a shelter sometime when you are away (although he doesn't sound like a meanie). The Shiba is not the only dog who will catch your eye.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

I wanted a dog when I was 15, but my mom has a strict NO DOGS IN THE HOUSE rule. I wanted my new puppy to be comfortable in the house, because someday when I have my own house, I want her to be a house dog. So I let it go when she said no, prayed about it, and approached her again later about it. We reached a compromise...the dog must stay off the carpet. It worked great, Lolli was house-trained and is totally comfortable indoors, even though we've moved since then and the new landlord does not allow her inside. We visit a local nursing home regularly, and it doesn't bother her at all.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers