Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your cat hang out in the bathroom?

Does your cat hang out in the bathroom?

After searching the house the other day I found George in the bathtub. He seems to love to lie on the bathmat in the tub. I missed getting that photo but I got one of him on the tub. He really likes the bathroom. When I'm brushing my teeth or what not, there's George to "help".

So I was wondering, does your cat like the bathroom?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now this is interesting. Mostly a cat will want to be near the human - the feeding machine!

Is George worried about the dogs? Does he have to be in the bathroom to escape and feel safe? If so, then you need to develop a safe place for him - use baby gates etc. A cat will typically hang out on a comfy chair, sofa or bed, and near the litter box, food and water bowls.

Is the house too hot for him? Bathrooms tend to be cooler, especially if you are in contact with the tile work.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of just now.

Cassie looooooved the bathroom. We had a rule, cat and person may not be on opposite sides of a closed bathroom door. That applied not only to me but to anyone who visited, and she would be a little confused when guests would use the bathroom without her supervision She would supervise my showering, grooming, putting on make-up and everything else that you use a bathroom for!

My sister's RB meezer Poco also loved the bathroom. He had the same rule about the door. I think he also liked it because in winter, the bathroom was one of the warmest spots in the house because of where the heat vents were.

George, you are such an utterly adorable orange kitten! Gentle little *kiss* to you
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Last year with traveled with Der Katz and his (and the dog's) food and water were put into the bathrooms of the hotels we stayed in.

Ed got into the habit of climbing into the tun and ONLY drinking water from the faucet. I had to wake up, go into the bathroom, open the tap up so it would drip, allow the cat to drink and then turn the tap off when he was done....He doesn't do this at home....thank god!!!

All of my cats have loved the bathroom.

Chessie used to sit on the lid of the toilet seat and watch me shower. Then as I would be drying off and getting out, he would be easing into the wet tub to roll around in the little puddles and then get out and groom himself.

Casey loves to get on the lid of the toilet seat as well and either watch me shower or watch me at the sink when I'm washing up and brushing my teeth before bed. He likes to stand on his back legs with his front feet up on the counter to watch me as closely as he can, sometimes hooking a paw around my free arm to pull me closer and rub his face on my arm. If I'm seated and taking care of business, he likes to sit on top of the tank of the toilet and headbutt me in the back of the head.

Smokey, if I'm seated and taking care of business, thinks he always has to get inside of and curl up in my jeans, PJ pants, or sweatpants when they're down around my ankles. He is also obsessed with the drain plug in the bathroom sink upstairs, having ripped it loose from the little lever on the back of the faucet and taking it and the plastic arm as far as under the fridge in the kitchen at times.

When the tub is dry, both Casey and Smokey like to jump in and stretch out.

Sandie: Mercy No, George is not in the bathroom because he's afraid of ANYTHING including the little dogs. George is boss of the house; sometimes we have to calm him down or put him in a timeout because he gets too rough with dogs. Also he's not in bathroom because house is hot. He doesn't stay in bathroom all the time but often. I think he just likes it for a change from his cat stand or whatever..

cassies mom, Richard, chatanuga: I think George is similar to the cats you mentioned. I smiled as I read your comments about your cats in bathroom. A lot of it sounds very much like George.

George loves to be in bathroom with me and/or by himself. He just finds so many interesting things in bathroom and tub. He is big enough now to get on the counter one way or another & help me brush my teeth (just shaking my head). It seems as if he knows every time I go to the bathroom & in a few minutes I hear his little bell on collar & know he's coming. He's so cute when he walks slowly toward me as if he is stalking me while I'm on commode and he tries to grab my legs which sometimes hurts. Anyway he's still cute and sweet and purring.

Kay, find / buy one of those high bounce rubber balls - we used to call the super balls when I was a kid. I think you can buy a package of them at the dollar stores. They are often in with the party favors, as small gifts / prizes for children. I'm talking about small ones, about an inch diameter. Large enough it can't be swallowed, small enough for the following:

Leave one in the tub. Sparkle LOVED to go in and have a hockey game! Of course, she enjoyed doing this at 2 AM as much as at 10 AM.

George is the right age, you may have to swat it around once or twice to give him the idea, then he will have his own game going! I used to just leave it, it settles on the drain, so I didn't worry about me stepping on it and falling. Thus it was available whenever she wanted to play with it!

Veera loves the bathroom also. if she hears water running she will come to check it out. she likes to play in water and will be present during anything done in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Kay, find / buy one of those high bounce rubber balls - we used to call the super balls when I was a kid. I think you can buy a package of them at the dollar stores.
    Ping pong balls also work for this, I recommend this all the time!
    I've Been Frosted

Ping pong balls don't "ricochet" like a super ball *giggle*

Well Malcolm hangs out in the sink, and Precious Angel, Miquelito and Tubster Panther sleep on the old blankets and towels in the linen closet!!!
    And I have great tile floors so Mickey Fluffy Tail and Moose Angel snooze together with Princess Angel.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My cats are always hanging out in the bathroom. Paizly's favorite window to sit in is in the bathroom. Not sure why since you can't really see anything past the shrub that covers the window, but she loves it.
    Jax always jumps on the counter when I go to get ready to shower at night. He usually wants a massage then I have to turn the water on for him to get a drink. And he has discovered the tub too. I'll find him just sitting in there watching us go by. Silly boy!

I've found both of them just hanging out on the toilet lid, or for a while (I think it was rats/mice under the house) Jax would hang out behind the toilet. He doesn't do that much anymore since we've set traps under the house.

I have gotten out of the shower several times to find all four "kids" in the bathroom with me. They have the entire house to be in, but they must be in the tiny bathroom with me.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Blog Entries
    I've had so many cats over the years I really can't recall one who didn't enjoy the bathroom I think George just wants to follow you! God is that kitten ever darling!

Thank you all. I am really enjoying all these comments about your cat/s in the bathroom. I'm either smiling or laughing as I read them. They (cats) sure like to watch us in all our routines, don't they? I laughed when I read that all 4 "kids" were in the bathroom with TazZoee when she got out of shower.

Sandie, Great idea-- I definitely will get some super balls and put 1 or more in the tub. I know George will like that because even now he knocks around an alum foil ball on the kitchen floor. Bad part is that eventually Sissy dog finds it and tears into many many tiny pieces. I don't think Sissy dog will get a ball in tub.

Mac will sometimes hang out in the bathroom, but only if he wants to use the litterbox in there or bug you for some food. Kimba, on the other hand, takes great offense if you dare to go in there without him. Will darn near scratch all the paint off of the door until you let him in. Cats!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!