Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Soccer World Cup 2014 in Brazil: Anyone planning to watch?

Funny, even the Google doodle today is dedicated to the referees and their new "free kick spray".

I didn't understand the doodle until I read about it. Shows how much soccer I've been watching. Good tournament, though!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I'm really beginning to get a little nervous about the semifinale tonight. I'm sure it's going to be a tough match; Brazil is very unpredictable without Neymar. And I sure hope they won't play as roughly as they did vs. Columbia! 54 fouls in one match, and the referee did nothing about it!
    No worries Kirsten! i wrote I was sure that Germany would win, and hey my prediction is correct: only 28 minutes in first half, and it's already O - 5 for Germany

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I didn't understand the doodle until I read about it. Shows how much soccer I've been watching. Good tournament, though!
    This spray is a new thing, never saw anyone use it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    No worries Kirsten! i wrote I was sure that Germany would win, and hey my prediction is correct: only 28 minutes in first half, and it's already O - 5 for Germany
    Lut, isn't it just unbelievable??? It's only half time, and Germany scored five times already!! I could hardly believe my eyes, never saw something like this before. After all, this is the SEMIFINAL of the WORLD CUP!!

Brazil 0 - Germany 5 (!!!)

This spray is a new thing, never saw anyone use it before.

Lut, isn't it just unbelievable??? It's only half time, and Germany scored five times already!! I could hardly believe my eyes, never saw something like this before. After all, this is the SEMIFINAL of the WORLD CUP!!

Brazil 0 - Germany 5 (!!!)
    Yeah - that's like a baseball game score, not what we expect from World Cup games!
    I've Been Frosted

Yay, yay, yay!!

7:1 We've reached the final!!

Manuel Neuer is a world class goalkeeper! And Miro Klose has the World Cup goalscoring record - congrats!

Yay, yay, yay!!

Manuel Neuer is a world class goalkeeper! And Miro Klose has the World Cup goalscoring record - congrats!
    Congrats to the German team! I am sure your whole city will be celebrating tonight!
    I've Been Frosted

Yay, yay, yay!!

I agree with Karen -- 7 to 1 sounds to me more like a score from a baseball game! I heard about it on news radio and then changed to the all-sports station to hear more about it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

That was sooo awesome! I still can't believe what I saw last night, something like that never happened before in a semifinal of a World Cup tournament! This was the most stunning, the most exciting, the craziest and most unsual soccer match I have ever seen!!

That was pure MAGIC!!

That was sooo awesome! I still can't believe what I saw last night, something like that never happened before in a semifinal of a World Cup tournament! This was the most stunning, the most exciting, the craziest and most unsual soccer match I have ever seen!!

That was pure MAGIC!!
    It really was! What a match!!!!! Congrats to the German team and to all German people!!! I am very much looking forward to what will happen tonight in the other semi-final between The Netherlands and Argentina, and of course to the finals coming Sunday!!

I feel a bit sorry though for the Brazilian team and all Brazilian people....... ! It must have felt like a humiliation for them......
    After all, they were the organising country....

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    It really was! What a match!!!!! Congrats to the German team and to all German people!!! I am very much looking forward to what will happen tonight in the other semi-final between The Netherlands and Argentina, and of course to the finals coming Sunday!!

I feel a bit sorry though for the Brazilian team and all Brazilian people....... ! It must have felt like a humiliation for them......
    After all, they were the organising country....
    Yes, I felt sorry for them, too, at least for the Brazilian fans; many of them were crying. On the other hand, the Brazilian team itself showed so much arrogance prior to the World Cup (and then they won their first match only with the help of the referee), that I can't help but feeling a little bit gleeful now. This entire Neymar hype was somewhat annoying, and now look what they are without him - nothing! I guess that occurred to them after the 2:0 because for the next minutes, they looked paralized and did nothing. 4 goals within 6 minutes, against Brazil! If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I would have thought someone must be joking. lol

Impressions from Berlin last night (Celebration on the streets starts at 4:55; I guess this is what happened in all German towns last night)
    Last edited by Kirsten; 07-09-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Today there is The Netherlands - Argentina !!!
    I will cheer for The Netherlands, because after all that country is only a 20 km away from where we live!

I'm rooting for the Netherlands since Oranje was not expected to advance very far, until they put that whuppin' on Spain in the first round!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Watching the video you posted, Kirsten, I was surprised the crowd didn't just self-combust by the time it was 5-0!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Watching the video you posted, Kirsten, I was surprised the crowd didn't just self-combust by the time it was 5-0!
    LOL, yes. Must have been an awesome experience to be there.

As for the second semifinal, Argentina vs. the Netherlands ... it's somewhat tiresome so far. Still 0:0, now: 30 minutes extra time.