Thread: A question about eggs

A question about eggs

I wanted scrambled eggs. Broke the first one into the bowl, fine. Broke the second one and . . . it was as if the yolk had been hard boiled? I've never seen this before.

In all, 4 of them, all right together in the dozen egg carton, had this hard yolk. I put them all down the garbage disposal. Checked the date on the carton, June 9, so they 'should' be ok. The 5th one was OK and I had my eggs.

Anyone ever seen this? What's it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I wanted scrambled eggs. Broke the first one into the bowl, fine. Broke the second one and . . . it was as if the yolk had been hard boiled? I've never seen this before.

In all, 4 of them, all right together in the dozen egg carton, had this hard yolk. I put them all down the garbage disposal. Checked the date on the carton, June 9, so they 'should' be ok. The 5th one was OK and I had my eggs.

Anyone ever seen this? What's it mean?
    I have never seen this, nor heard of it! I will check with my chicken show folks, but that one is a new one on me! I would have returned them to the store, with a sample in a ziplock for them to investigate.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    My guess is they were stored improperly before they were put in the carton, got overheated and the yolk cooked. Oh, but the whites would cook to then eh? Never mind

I took a bunch of eggs out of the carton and placed then into a container I had. Some of the eggs ended up against the side of the bowl that was in contact with the wall of the fridge.

They ended up solidifying (yolk) because the got too cold. I cracked one open and thought it was strange, I pulled out another and held it in my hand and it was colder than the other that were on the other side of the bowl.

They were OK after I left them out

Did someone mention eggs? I was reminded of one of my favorite PT posts ever...

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...=how+boil+eggs
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Finally, my day is slowing down, and I got back to this.

Seems like Richard has it correct, the eggs got too cold. Since the 4 I had were 2 in each row of the carton, I don't think that happened in my fridge, but before I bought them. And, from what I could find, they would have been OK to eat, but obviously not ok for scrambled eggs, lol. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes - I've had that happen when they get too cold, too. I always keep something behind the carton or container of eggs to prevent them from getting too close to the back wall of the fridge, as it seems this is the only time it happens. They are perfectly good to use - such as in baking or cake or whatever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It makes sense when you think about it - all the fat content of the egg is in the yolk, and that hardens at a higher temperature than water - just think how hard a stick of butter gets in the fridge, but water is still pourable!
    I've Been Frosted

9. I haven encountered this yet either.

an yeah.. now im getting something to eat. bye guys LOL