Thread: Scary Dog Moments ...

Scary Dog Moments ...

What has you dog done that scared you the most?

I was thinking the other day, and Gracie, our beloved Great Dane mix once decided to try to drink from the pond near where my friend and I were chatting. But 2 feet away was the lip of a huge waterfall that landed on giant granite builders below - the pond was a mill pond built for a factory that used water power, but went out when the hurricane destroyed it in 1938. Gracie was on the leash when she fell in, and panicked, and my friend and I was so scared we weren't going to be able to get her up on the banking without her - or me - being swept over the waterfall! We managed it, but were shaking afterwards - and Gracie, who was terrified of water (including rain) even before that, was trembling too!

I drove past that spot the other day and remembered that.

What has your dog done that scared you?
    I've Been Frosted

Run away!!! Multiple times! In 2012 I had the hardest time keeping Lolli and Buddy home. They knew the minute I forgot to put their Invisible Fence collars on them, and they ran as soon as my back was turned. They were gone overnight twice!
    And Lolli occasionally gives me mini heart attacks by not moving when I talk to her in the morning. I don't know if she is sleeping really deep, or ignoring me, but sometimes she doesn't move and scares the crap out of me for a few seconds.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Has to be when a bunch of dogs were playing in the bush beside a lake in the park. All the dogs except one came out of the bushes - the one of course was Louie who had gone through the ice! There he was swimming round in little circles and whimpering. One of the other dog people went to get him and also fell through the ice. In the end no-one was the worse for wear except me. I was traumatized for days.

Blog Entries
    Bob Barker years ago jumped into the creek when I threw a stick in. He was an Australian Shepherd with a thick coat of hair. He got the stick but his thick coat was pulling him down in the water as he was paddling along then he tried to get up the steppe bank. I ended up sliding down the bank into the water to pull him out of the water & push him up the bank. The poor old boy was exhausted from his ordeal.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

That must have been so scary! A family I know had a Sheltie (again, very thick coat) who decided to take a running leap off the dock one day, but it was a "stream" that actually emptied into the ocean, and was sternly affected by currents, and so they had a heck of a time rescuing her!
    I've Been Frosted

Definitely the time Jasper flew out of the window of my car while I was driving around a curve. Scariest moment of my LIFE! He is now securely seat-belted in every time we go anywhere.

Sala, my mom's Lhasa, is the master of scaring us humans to death. It all relates to her exceptional ability to escape. Thankfully she has not gotten hurt, but there have been some close calls! Another thing she used to do was bring in cicadas from outside at night and release them in the house. It probably doesn't sounds too bad to most of you guys, but cicadas scare the daylights out of me. No clue why, because all other bugs/insects/etc are fine.... but oh my gosh... I think that dog was nearly the death of me.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

When pearl was little she went running up to a pond and jumped right in. now i can't swim and french bulldogs don't swim well. luckily she got right back out and does not run into water anymore.

Dixie somehow got out of our fenced yard and we spent a sleeplesd week before we found that little pug about 5 Miles away. we still think someone stole her and she somehow got away from them cause she stayed in the area we found her for the whole week.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The very worst was the night Myndi vanished! She was only about 4 at the time, and absolutely HATED a friend (adult) of my son's. Have no idea why, since Sparky loved him! Said friend was visiting one afternoon, and my son let Myndi outside - I was still at work. I got home and went looking for her, and she had vanished. Practically tore the house apart looking for her, also the very cluttered old shed outside, the woods surrounding the house, all up and down the road.....searched till well after dark, but she was gone. Son made posters to put up the next day, and I finally went to bed and cried myself to sleep. The next morning there was a knock on my bedroom door, and there was my son - holding Myndi. I laughed, I cried, I screamed................"where did you find her" I said. He heard a noise at the back door and went to see what it was, and there was Myndi leaping up at the door handle and trying to open the door. We came to the conclusion that she had hidden way in the back corner of the shed, and it was so cluttered and dark, that we hadn't seen her little black self in there. There was a hole at the very bottom of the door - just big enough for her to squeeze thru, and that's what she must have done when she was certain that the much hated Tom had left. The 2nd scariest was the day she fainted because her blood count got so low from the yet undetected gastro bleed. I thought she had fallen over dead!

Sparky's scariest was the first time he fainted and fell off the bed - this was when his CHF was nearing it's peak. He had more after that first one, but at least then I knew what was causing it.

Wolfy hasn't given me any scary moments - YET!!!! Hoping that there won't be any, since I'm getting way too old to cope with these scary events!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Wolfy hasn't given me any scary moments - YET!!!! Hoping that there won't be any, since I'm getting way too old to cope with these scary events!!!!!
    Aww, he knows you love him, and dogs are good at knowing when their person needs them, so hopefully he won't have any escapades like Myndi's!
    I've Been Frosted

My scary dog moment was the first time I met my former co-worker's Great Dane, Max. She worked from home and I was sent to her home to train with her. She opened the door to let me in, and out came Max, running, wagging his tail and barking. He was a big guy; my supervisor had explained that he was very happy and gentle, but I was still uneasy. But by the third day I learned that he was a Huge Love Muffin! So when she opened the door and out came Max, I was ready! My co-worker asked me to wait just a few minutes with him while he bounced around and said his first hello, and see if he would also go potty while I was outside with him. No problem by me! Then we both went in the house, he would go get a drink of water and expect more petting while his mom and I got settled. I miss him very much!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

12. I always took Kirby up stairs with me since hed whine if i left him downstairs an id block the stairway off with a baby gate. well one time i went downstairs to go the bathroom an few moments later heard a super loud crash an when i stepped out into the living room i seen my dog who was supposed to be upstairs now downstairs looking as confused as i was to what just happened.

somehow he had managed to get up on shelf we have in front of our stove pipe an fell through stove pipes cutout thing to the room below which is a good 7to 8' drop.
    got so lucky that it didnt hurt him but needles to say after that i always took him downstairs with me if i had to leave for any reasons

Many years ago I had a mini doxie named Sally--such a sweet girl. She's in heaven now. Anyway one day I gave her some cooked cubed steak and left the room. A few minutes later I came back & she was lying on her side, choking. OMG, I grabbed her, started shaking her & ran two fingers down her throat and got the meat dislodged. Ever since then, I do not give any cubed steak to my dogs. It like everything else has gotten so expensive that I rarely buy it for me

These are all scary, I can only imagine some of these situations.

My scariest moment I wasn't even there for! Mikey escaped from the kennel we had him at when my mom went to pick him up. The chase was on a main back road and Mr. stupid chases cars. The chase was probably about 20-30 minutes and involved 6/7 people.

I had a scary dog moment yesterday at the filling station. I was at the pump and I heard a lady yelling, "Ma'am, ma'am!" I looked up and over at the vacuum, the people were at the back of their mini-van. Their small dog had gotten out through the open driver's window but his leash had gotten caught on the rear view mirror. It was just long enough for his back paws to barely reach the ground and he was struggling. The lady who was yelling ran over to him, and the people ran around the mini-van to pick him up. The whole thing took less than 15 seconds but it scared the daylights out of me. The driver took off his leash and got in the mini-van with him while her passenger finished the vacuuming. I was almost glad the dog had a leash on, though; because if he hadn't, I think he'd have taken off running across the filling station, which was busy with people and other cars. Wowzers.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678