Thread: Scary Dog Moments ...

Hybrid View

Scary Dog Moments ...

What has you dog done that scared you the most?

I was thinking the other day, and Gracie, our beloved Great Dane mix once decided to try to drink from the pond near where my friend and I were chatting. But 2 feet away was the lip of a huge waterfall that landed on giant granite builders below - the pond was a mill pond built for a factory that used water power, but went out when the hurricane destroyed it in 1938. Gracie was on the leash when she fell in, and panicked, and my friend and I was so scared we weren't going to be able to get her up on the banking without her - or me - being swept over the waterfall! We managed it, but were shaking afterwards - and Gracie, who was terrified of water (including rain) even before that, was trembling too!

I drove past that spot the other day and remembered that.

What has your dog done that scared you?
    I've Been Frosted

Run away!!! Multiple times! In 2012 I had the hardest time keeping Lolli and Buddy home. They knew the minute I forgot to put their Invisible Fence collars on them, and they ran as soon as my back was turned. They were gone overnight twice!
    And Lolli occasionally gives me mini heart attacks by not moving when I talk to her in the morning. I don't know if she is sleeping really deep, or ignoring me, but sometimes she doesn't move and scares the crap out of me for a few seconds.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Has to be when a bunch of dogs were playing in the bush beside a lake in the park. All the dogs except one came out of the bushes - the one of course was Louie who had gone through the ice! There he was swimming round in little circles and whimpering. One of the other dog people went to get him and also fell through the ice. In the end no-one was the worse for wear except me. I was traumatized for days.

Blog Entries
    Bob Barker years ago jumped into the creek when I threw a stick in. He was an Australian Shepherd with a thick coat of hair. He got the stick but his thick coat was pulling him down in the water as he was paddling along then he tried to get up the steppe bank. I ended up sliding down the bank into the water to pull him out of the water & push him up the bank. The poor old boy was exhausted from his ordeal.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

That must have been so scary! A family I know had a Sheltie (again, very thick coat) who decided to take a running leap off the dock one day, but it was a "stream" that actually emptied into the ocean, and was sternly affected by currents, and so they had a heck of a time rescuing her!
    I've Been Frosted

Definitely the time Jasper flew out of the window of my car while I was driving around a curve. Scariest moment of my LIFE! He is now securely seat-belted in every time we go anywhere.