Thread: Home & on the mend

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Home & on the mend

Just an FYI. I came home from the hospital yesterday after my back surgery on Wednesday. All went well as expected, and the pain in my hip and leg is gone. I had a first time bad reaction to anesthesia tho - something I never had previously - a wicked migraine and severe nausea. It took from Wednesday afternoon until Thursday evening for them to find a combo of meds to relieve both. I was soooooo sick! Once that was remedied, I felt fine, or as fine as could be expected. I'm tired and feel like I was run over by a bus, but that's to be expected. I ain't no kid no more! I can't do much of anything - including driving until after my first post-op appointment in a couple of weeks. Everything's cool - right???? - not so fast. I was getting dressed to come home, and I ruptured the tendon in my left shoulder. Of course I said nothing to them at the hospital, since there was no way I was staying any longer - I'll just deal with it later. I've been keeping heat on it when possible, and I have the muscle relaxers and pain meds for my back, and that's about the only thing they would do for it anyway. I tore the one in my right shoulder 7 years ago, so now I have matching "popeye arms". Never a dull moment here!

It's good to be home!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hey Ellie, welcome home! Good to "see" you again.

Now take it easy, and do as they tell you!

Cats and I are all sending along loads of healing energies.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Great to hear from you Ellie!

Sorry about the tendon - geez, you can't catch a break, huh? Glad you have the meds for it and everything else.

I am so glad for you that the pain is gone. I hope everything stays that way as you ease off the pain meds.

Try to relax...two weeks isn't long considering all the time you spent waiting for surgery.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Glad you are hem, hope the shoulder heals quickly, too! Yowch!
    I've Been Frosted

Glad you're home and it went mostly well. Enjoy the downtime. Soon enough you'll be run off your feet again.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Happy to hear you're home - sorry about the shoulder though

Are the critters treating you carefully? What kind of restrictions do you have - as far as moving?
    I can't bend over for 3 months - which means Douglas has to feed the cats. At least I can shower.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Happy to hear you're home - sorry about the shoulder though

Are the critters treating you carefully? What kind of restrictions do you have - as far as moving?
    I can't bend over for 3 months - which means Douglas has to feed the cats. At least I can shower.
    OMG - the greeting I got from Wolfy was incredible - I thought he was going to eat me alive - that's the way Sparky always was too. You would think I had been gone for months, instead of just a few days. And the kitties??? - well I guess cats will be cats. They looked at me when I first came in the house, and then went about their merry way of ripping and tearing thru here and sounding like a herd of elephants - just life as usual for them! And I have 3 able bodied people here to help with what I can't do (or not supposed to do) I wrote a little more on FB about restrictions, if you're so inclined to read it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hubby had neck surgery last thursday so i feel for you. mend quickly...

Glad to hear that you are doing better.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Glad to learn you are home and the surgery went fine. Being pain free is great!

Sorry to read about the anesthesia issue, nice to have THAT behind you.

The shoulder, oh no! I wondr, if you reported it while THERE, weren't they supposed to have someone helping you get dressed? Would they have had to pay for the mending -- even if it IS just meds? Too late now, but something to consider.

The welcome home - PERFECT!

Heal well, Ellie. I'm sure Wolfy will watch over you during the recovery.

Hope you will feel a bit better every day! Check in when you can!
    I've Been Frosted

So glad to see your post and to know your surgery went well and you're no longer in pain except for your shoulder. Mercy! The things we do to ourselves!! I smiled when I read that your Wolfy was very glad to see you and the cats were cats . I have a newish post about George kitten with pics; he's turning into a cat, still cute though. I really am glad you got through the surgery and now you're on the mend.

Just wanted to welcome you home POM-- glad everything went without a hitch (except for the shoulder) . Been trying to keep in touch on here but having a bit of an emergency so be back a bit later in the week if I can. Happy for Wolfie...take care, looks like he really needs you home
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear your surgery is over & you are feeling lots better. Now take it easy & heal well.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Good to see your feeling a little better after surgery. I am also looking for an orthopedic for my spine stenosis, it's making my legs very weak. Hopefully I won't need surgery tho. Feel better.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."