Thread: 9-Year-Old Opens His Own Animal Shelter

9-Year-Old Opens His Own Animal Shelter

Even a child can see that animals in need could use some compassion… in fact, children might be more in tune to the obligation to care for defenseless animals than adults. Take Ken, a nine-year-old child from the Philippines, as an example. Ken’s love for helping dogs motivated him to operate an animal shelter out of his own garage.
    A few months ago, after routinely encountering neglected dogs and cats on the streets, Ken asked his father if he could open up an animal shelter to take care of them. While Ken’s father didn’t discourage him entirely, he told his son that he would need to be much older and have a lot of money to pull off an endeavor like that.

Ken was not the type to take “no” for an answer, however, so he did his part to feed stray dogs on a limited budget. When a photo of Ken giving food to some puppies on the street went semi-viral, Ken started receiving donations from around the world to allow him to care for the animals on a permanent basis.
    Naming the dogs after their respective colors (“Blackie,” “Brownie,” and “White Puppy”), Ken housed his first three dogs in his garage and provided them with healthy dog food and trips to the vet. Over time, the dogs’ sores went away, fur grew back and weight increased to a normal level. Ken called his burgeoning shelter the “Happy Animals Club.”

Now that his first shelter residents have been nursed back to health, Ken plans to put them up for adoption in another month and start looking after new animals. His goal is to reach out to local pounds and take in the un-adopted animals that are about to be euthanized to spare their lives.
    Already, however, neighbors have approached him with animals that are in need of care. On Tuesday, Ken received Dipper, a sickly puppy battling ticks, infections and worms. Although Dipper is not from the pound, Ken couldn’t turn his back on a dog in need.

Most likely, Dipper will stay in the 10,000 square feet lot that Ken has recently leased for $1,500 a year. Ken was able to pay for the area with donations, but he will still need to collect more money in order to have the resources to care for as many dogs as the space will fit. Given how far he’s come already, though, it’s hard not to see this plan working out successfully.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/9-year-o...#ixzz32eOKTs57

Last edited by Catty1; 05-24-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

God bless that child, and all the animals he is helping.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    God bless that child, and all the animals he is helping.

Amen to that, Pat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Bless him, and the animals!
    I've Been Frosted

5. Thats the sweetest thing ive heard of in a long while.
    i wish him an the animals the best of luck

This is awesome. Maybe someone can start a Kickstarter or Ingiegogo campaign to raise a bunch of money for him.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

There are donation links on his website - the link for the site is at the bottom of the first post. What is great is that a little money seems to go such a long way!

aaawww
    Mommy To Rebel

Aww, isn't that sweet! That boy is wonderful!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Aw! God bless this angel, yes! Would love to meet him in real life!

I think he has an email address, sana, though I couldn't see it on his website. You could have a look though.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I think he has an email address, sana, though I couldn't see it on his website. You could have a look though.
    Oh okay! thanks!