Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuddles is recovering, I hope.

Cuddles is recovering, I hope.

Cuddles went in for her annual vet check last Thursday. Time for her rabies shot. For some reason, I'd not had her in to the vet in the 3 years since her last rabies shot. Her mouth was a mess, she had to have a dental and at least 2 teeth extracted, due to infection. So that was done today.

Turns out she had 7 extractions. One canine tooth had a . . . fistula (not sure if that is the term). A hole right through the gum and the root coming out of the hole. This is very painful for a cat. I feel awful she was like this. She had also lost 4 teeth. The vet said her gums are just mush. She is on pain meds for the next 5 days, and goes back for a recheck at that time to see if the hole is closed / closing / improving. Cuddles also had a Convenia shot - 2 week slow release antibiotic - and she will have another one at the end of the 2 weeks so a full month of antibiotics.

When I went in to pick her up, the vet had already left for the day. I asked if the gums will recover, the vet techs did not know. I'll find out, probably wait till the next post surgery recheck.

I am so sad that my poor girl got in to this condition and I had no clue.

Aww, poor Cuddles, I'm glad she's recovering.

Please don't beat yourself up about her! Kitties are so masterful at hiding discomfort, especially in their mouths!

I honestly didn't know, from looking into Annie and Emma's mouths, that there was ANYTHING going on, but their jaws were trying to reabsorb their teeth! They both lots a LOT of teeth and were much happier after their recovery!

Aww, poor Cuddles! That must have been so painful, it is too bad they hide their pain so well!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, poor Cuddles. At least she has been treated now and is hopefully pain free and will recover. It is so difficult to know when cats are in pain, since they hide it so well, and often they won't let you look in their mouths.

When I had to give Fister medicine, I found out how un-cooperative he was, so I practised how to hold him, stroked his gums every day and learned how to check if something was wrong - but it took a long time and patience before he would cooperate.

Sending lots of positive thoughts to sweet Cuddles.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks for the support. I was really feeling terrible about this yesterday. It helps to hear others enforce the message that cats are masters at hiding pain.

We are all sending along our love and prayers and healing energies for Cuddles and for you too, Sandie. Agree.. cats are indeed masterful at hiding pain.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My RB Taz had a canine tooth pulled a LONG time ago. I can't remember what triggered the vet visit. I think I noticed him eating funny and his appetite decreased too.

But yes, kitties do not like to show their illness. Taz also had the pseudo cysts around his kidneys and I only knew because his sides had sunk in horribly. He acted just fine.
    In fact, he was acting just fine the day I took him in to make the trip to the bridge. But he was very sick.

I hope Cuddles feels all better once her mouth is healed up. Hugs to you and Cuddles!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Sandie, I too felt terrible when Oscar had FORL a few years ago. He had 7 teeth removed, and 4 had already been dissolved by this disease. I can't begin to imagine the pain he was in! I felt horrid.

My vet assured me that cats are very good at hiding pain - Oscar would have just been chewing on the side that didn't hurt.

After he came home I swear he slept for 24 hours straight just because the pain was gone.

Prayers for Cuddles that he recovers well, and prayers for you.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Just read the thread. How's Cuddles? We know you would have gotten care for Cuddles earlier had you known; you're an excellent mom to your babies.

Cuddles seems to be doing well. She is taking her pain meds - syringe of liquid, I squirt in inside her cheek for it to be absorbed. She is eating and using the litter box.

Oh,good! Keep on keeping on, dearest Cuddles! You and Meowmie are doing just great.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sorry to hear this happened but glad to hear that she's recovering well. Yes, cats are excellent at hiding pain from us so please don't beat yourself up about it.

I hope dear Cuddles makes a complete recovery. Many times we don't know something's wrong until they go to the vet for a checkup. Cats are very, very, good at faking health when they are really sick.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Cuddles is eating and using the box. Yay! I am sure her gums will heal just fine. I wish her all the best at her next checkup.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for all the support, really needed it this time around.

So last night, between the 2 of them -- Cuddles and Mandy -- they ate TWO of the large 5.5 ounces cans of food in gravy! The first can was gone in 20 minutes, so I decided to put a second one. That was gone when I checked an hour later. They don't have any kibble in their room just now, the vet said to let her heal for 10 to 14 days before even offering it as a back up / second choice. We need the healing, and we need her to take in plenty of fluids. Cuddles has never been one to use a water bowl much, so soft food in gravy is the only menu item for the short term.

I think that is a LOT of food even for 2 cats, so I'm confident it was not all eaten by Mandy. So Cuddles is eating well!