Cuddles went in for her annual vet check last Thursday. Time for her rabies shot. For some reason, I'd not had her in to the vet in the 3 years since her last rabies shot. Her mouth was a mess, she had to have a dental and at least 2 teeth extracted, due to infection. So that was done today.

Turns out she had 7 extractions. One canine tooth had a . . . fistula (not sure if that is the term). A hole right through the gum and the root coming out of the hole. This is very painful for a cat. I feel awful she was like this. She had also lost 4 teeth. The vet said her gums are just mush. She is on pain meds for the next 5 days, and goes back for a recheck at that time to see if the hole is closed / closing / improving. Cuddles also had a Convenia shot - 2 week slow release antibiotic - and she will have another one at the end of the 2 weeks so a full month of antibiotics.

When I went in to pick her up, the vet had already left for the day. I asked if the gums will recover, the vet techs did not know. I'll find out, probably wait till the next post surgery recheck.

I am so sad that my poor girl got in to this condition and I had no clue.