Thread: Happy Victoria Day!

Happy Victoria Day!

... to our Canadian friends (and everyone else too)!

Cheers!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Happy Victoria Day!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Thank you for the wishes... hope everyone has a great weekend .
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Port Huron, Michigan (across the St. Clair River from Sarnia, Ontario) is celebrating the occasion with Canadian Appreciation Weekend! -

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2014305180098
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Happy Victoria Day!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thanks from a proud Canadian, and the same to fellow PT'rs who are celebrating, also peeps in UK, Oz and NZ. Plus that's really cool re Canadian Appreciation Weekend, Pat!

Happy Victoria Day indeed! My great-grandmother and her sister were ladies in waiting and seamstresses to Victoria herself!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Litterati View Post
    Thanks from a proud Canadian, and the same to fellow PT'rs who are celebrating, also peeps in UK, Oz and NZ. Plus that's really cool re Canadian Appreciation Weekend, Pat!
    I was wondering, do they have this also in other countries with the British influence in their history.

I think that's kind of neat, the Canadian Appreciation Weekend.. "We love you all, Canadian friends and neighbors! Now come on over and spend some money!"

If Port Huron was closer than 102.8 miles (via I-94), I might be tempted to pop over and pick up a couple of Maple Leaf cookies in celebration.. Or just cross the bridge to Sarnia and spend the money there!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Happy Victoria Day indeed! My great-grandmother and her sister were ladies in waiting and seamstresses to Victoria herself!
    Wow! So this is a true personal holiday for you, Karen!
    Death thought about it.

Wow Karen! I'm totally in awe of your royal connections (seriously). Wondering if your family was told any interesting tidbits from behind the scenes in Victoria's court.

Interesting thought Pat. Don't know if other countries honour peeps celebrating, but holiday is celebrated by all countries ruled by Britannia. In my own province, Quebec, holiday has been renamed as Patriots Day as francophone majority is not happy with connection to English ruler. Re the shopping, yeah, for sure borders had major line-ups today as Canadians went on shopping trips to US. My closest border crossing would be en route to Plattsburgh NY.

Oh, that's funny, Canadians celebrating the big national holiday by heading for the U.S. to shop! Are most stores in Canada closed on Victoria/Patriots Day, and since people are off work they celebrate with running over for a shopping trip? I imagine Port Huron cashed in big time!

Windsor, Ontario is much closer to me, about 45 miles. But I didn't hear about any Canadian Appreciation Weekend events or sales going on around Detroit.

Patriots Day is a holiday in Massachusetts and Maine here, in April. I don't know what patriots it's in celebration of. In Massachusetts it's the date for the Boston Marathon.

Pat
    Death thought about it.

Hi Pat,
    The stores were open today, but banks/post office closed and statutory holiday so most peeps had the day off. Heading to the US is a custom as the dollar is at times good and the deals better. Haven't been to the US in eons as not having car/driving places me at a disadvantage. Shopping-wise I do pretty well here LOL. I had friends who lived in Windsor and they used to cross border to Detroit like every wknd for a "fun time" as their own city was considered dull and boring. Re Patriots Day, no idea who we're supposed to be honouring, perhaps Quebec's founders of French origin, holiday name was changed as a construct to avoid honouring Queen Victoria. Political situation here is well, interesting.

Happy "me" day. Yes, my given name is Victoria. My Mom called to leave a message that she really did name me after Queen Victoria to give me a name if dignity. Now excuse me while I scratch my armpits.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Well, happy Slick Day, then!!!
    Death thought about it.

Happy Victoria Day to all you Canadians out there.
    ZACK MY BIG BEAR.