Thread: Changes, and more changes....

Changes, and more changes....

Since I really haven't been on here in a long time, I thought I would update everyone on what has been going on. As of this April 28th, I had to "resign" from my job. Last August I fell down my neighbor's front cement steps and landed sitting on my knees. I ended up shattering my tib/fib and ankle as well as both feet in doing so. When I stuck out my right leg, my foot literally was facing right. Not front like it should have been, and of course me, the idiot, tried to stand up. So, I ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks, then was out of work from the end of August until Jan. 8th. I'm still not 100%, not even close. I have rods, pins, screws, plates and all that good stuff holding my leg together. Good news, I can now forecast weather, lol. But during the recovery time, because I was favoring that leg (I wasn't supposed to put weight on it for 2 1/2 months), I ended up tearing my medial and lateral meniscus in my OTHER leg. Yay!! Went to the ER, they said "Oh it's a sprain, go home." Went to my ankle doc, he said, "Oh, it's arthritis, go home." Took me going to another much reputable place for them to do an MRI to find the tears, which were significant. When I told my school I needed to take more time off for surgery, they told me I could resign or get fired because "We need our teachers here! You've missed too much work!" Um.... broken leg and ankle?? No accommodations for wheelchairs, no extra help for during the day. If and when I came back, it would have to be me and my doc stating I was at 100%. So, since I was getting a whole $300 a week on disability from school and couldn't pay my bills, i went back to work. Then I tore the meniscus more, twice, and literally fell over and couldn't get up. My knee buckled and just gave out on me. So, off to surgery, goodbye to work (my union did NOTHING to help in the matter. My union president seemed to agree with the HR manager and was on his side not mine. I didn't like that). So now I'm at home, collecting unemployment, going bat crazy cause I am not really doing anything but cleaning (yuck) and taking care of the house. I'm very actively looking for a new job/career. Whether it be as a librarian in the college/university scene (I'm burned out on the K-12 scene), or as something entirely new in the tech field (my master's degree is in technology), I'm giving it my all.

Meanwhile, I've met a new man in my life. He's normal. He's not a jerk like the ones I dated before. He treats me well, is polite, thoughtful, and just overall a genuinely nice guy. His name is Paul, and I'm really loving the relationship we have.

Also have two new kitties that I added to the brood while I was working. Both are FIV+, because if you remember, I love my special needs cats. Both had been in the shelter about 7 years, and I just thought that was unbelievable that no one would take them because they were special needs. They were not hostile, or battle cats. Very laid back and just lap cats and snugglers. The first one is Bobbysoxs. He's my black and white tuxie. Absolutely a lover. He snuggles between Paul and myself if Paul stays over. Not sure if that's to say "Stay away from my mom", or if it's just "Ahhhhhh.... this is the life!!!" LOL! The second cat is also FIV+. His name is Frankie and had been at the shelter for 7 years. Partly my fault. I took him in from this horrible place he was at, but he was so fearful, you couldn't get near him, and no matter what you did, he peed all over the floor, the blankets, everything everywhere. I was working, and I didn't have enough time to spend with him to work on his issues, so I took him into our shelter. I just never thought he'd still be there. Well, what strides he has made!! He no longer does the pee thing, he is a love bug, always wanting pets and attention. He is white and technically a gray tabby. He's just gorgeous and so sweet looking. He and Bobby sleep with me every night, and I adore it. Some of the others are a bit put out by it, but mostly they all get along really well. No fights, no clashes, just Boris being her crabby self.

Anyway, that's what has been going on here. I'll add some pics of me, the kitties, and the guy I'm dating, just to catch all of you up to speed, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobby and paul.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	58164 Paul and Bobbysox

Name:	Bobbysox.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	58165 Bobbysox

Name:	frankie and kickstick.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	58166 Frankie

Name:	frankie hugging his pillow.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	58167 Frankie

Name:	me newest.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	58168 Me!!
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 05-16-2014 at 01:27 PM.

more pics that didn't fit, lol

Name:	milo recent.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	58169 Milo.... look how big he is!!

Name:	the love of my life.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	58170 Paul

The white kitty is MILO!! He's gotten so big!!
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 05-16-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Wow, lots of changes! So sorry you've had such a bad time medically! Ouch ouch and double ouch! But at least you remember us well enough to know kitty pictures are important!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wow Jen - you have been run thru the mill with all of the medical and work issues. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better tho, and hope that you'll soon be able to find a new job and get back on your feet more. Oops - no pun intended.

So it was resign or get fired???? Lovely. I would have let them fire me, and then take their sorry asses to court, as I don't believe you can be fired for a legit medical reason. At least that has been my experience with some folks that I know that have been in a similar situation. What a horrible position they put you in.

Wishing you a lot of happiness with your new love interest - you need a good break (sorry again ) in that department. Your kitties are adorable too!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 05-16-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

First off, welcome back, even if under rather inauspicious conditions.

Second, as to your employment situation, I'd be calling the labor board and filing charges against your Union for failure to provide proper representation, failure of your employer to provide reasonable accommodation under FMLA, and talking through everything with a nice, scummy ambulance chaser.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    First off, welcome back, even if under rather inauspicious conditions.

Second, as to your employment situation, I'd be calling the labor board and filing charges against your Union for failure to provide proper representation, failure of your employer to provide reasonable accommodation under FMLA, and talking through everything with a nice, scummy ambulance chaser.
    I wasn't really eligible for FMLA.... well, I didn't want it cause it's unpaid. I took IPI, which has a little something. AND my union PRESIDENT was by my side the whole time saying "They really are being very tolerant with you, you've missed a lot of work." ?????? I broke my freaking leg, ankle and both feet!!! Then tore my meniscus in 2 places. How understanding of her. I have such hatred for the school district right now, I"m just relieved I'm out of there. I know the money was really good, but I was also burned out teaching K-5, after they eliminated my middle school position, and then when I was healing, they reinstated the positions (we lost 2), and they gave my position to another librarian, even though I requested it back because it was mine to begin with. UGH! I've applied at 2 local universities where they have librarian openings, and hopefully I'll hear something back from one of them. They are both top notch universities, and I'd rather work where there are no screaming children anymore anyway.

As for the union president, she wants to be in Administration. So, she rubs elbows with them all the time. Even when our Uniserv rep came to speak to me (he's from PSEA, the state organization), he said if I went before the school board, and everything played out the way he thought it would, and I would lose, I'd lose my teaching certificate. My only other choice was to resign. So that is what I did, and I kept my certificate.

Right now I'm going to Career Fairs, filling out job openings on line, but no bites at all. I know they look at my past salary and just say "Oh my, we can't offer anything close to that." and pass me by. I have to make at least $15 to $18 an hour to get more than unemployment, and I have my taxes taken out of there before I get it, to cover my butt come next January. I don't want to owe. But I also don't want to lose my house. It's just a crappy situation right now. My parents are being terrific and helping with my bills, but they are in their 70's and I don't want to rob them of their savings either.

I spend most of the day and half the night online job hunting. I even solicited my one old employer to see if they needed any help and explained the situation, just a bit, and said I needed something lighter duty rather than being on my feet all day because of the fall and the surgery on my knee. I still remember medical billing like it was yesterday. The coding is much like the dewey decimal system, lol.

Hi Jenn!

Great to see you back here but under such dire circumstances! {{{{hugs}}}}

It is wonderful you found a new guy, and that you had the time for Frankie! How wonderful that he is a love bug! I can't recall if he is the one with the white mustache - I would have called that one Sanders after the Colonel!

I hope you find something wonderful soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Hi Jenn!

Great to see you back here but under such dire circumstances! {{{{hugs}}}}

It is wonderful you found a new guy, and that you had the time for Frankie! How wonderful that he is a love bug! I can't recall if he is the one with the white mustache - I would have called that one Sanders after the Colonel!

I hope you find something wonderful soon!
    Yeah, the circumstances suck, but work was so much worse. I had such anxiety, was so depressed. And I knew they wanted me gone. Who can work in an environment like that??

I felt bad that Frankie was still in the shelter. So guilty. He's such a wonderful cat. Very loving and sweet. Total velcro kitty, lol. He is skittish, but that's to be expected. I remember the lady who initially took him in rescued him from a burning house. The original owners left him there with birdseed to eat, then kids set the house on fire. He was just traumatized. Our shelter ladies did wonders with him, whereas I did not have the time needed to devote to him, but I thought with his sweet face he would have been adopted by this point. When I saw he was still there, I just said to myself, he's coming home. I originally went for Bobbysox, who I called Moonpie at times, lol, because he has this big round face, and big round eyes, lol. He even comes to me when I call him that, it's so silly.

I hope a job comes along soon as well. The house is expensive, as are the utilities, and I can't rely on mom and dad for much longer.

Thanks for the welcome back! It's good to hear from you!!

Hello Jenn! I've been thinking about you recently, was wondering if you had heard on either of the University jobs. Sounds like the answer is: not yet.

So very sorry about the fall, injuries, owies! Oh my! I just can't believe this cost you your job and they threatened you with losing your certificate. Prayers for healing and a good new job!

Love meeting the 2 newbies: Bobbysoxs and Frankie. They are lucky to live in your home and have you to care for them.

And best wishes w/ the new man in your life! I did chuckle as the first pic is actually our first view of him - asleep with a cat on his face! Ha ha haaaa. Good one, Jenn, maybe you best not let him know that! Te hee.

Hello Jenn, what an awful story there! So glad you are at least out of that awful job there, and we are hoping and praying that one of those University jobs comes along soon. And we're so glad to see you at least have some good new things going on in your life, that is to say, new good people in your life, Bobbysox and Frankie and Paul.

Loads of love and good wishes from us all!

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery