Thread: The joys of trying to pick up pet medications at a human pharmacy!

The joys of trying to pick up pet medications at a human pharmacy!

I just went and picked up Katie's Prozac at the drugstore by my house. It was soooo fun. (not) I know I'm overreacting because I've had a headache all day and it's 90 out and I had to drive my car with no AC to get there, but in hindsight the whole thing was kind of funny.

First, her name was put in as 'Kaite" rather than Katie, so they couldn't find her in the computer. When I couldn't give them her birthday to look her up that way, the pharmacy tech got very suspicious, until I said "She's a CAT, I don't know her birthday!" So she got to look through the medications by hand until she found the misspelled Rx.

THEN I tried to pass on the medication consult for new prescriptions, because I'm pretty sure that I know more about the side effects of Prozac in cats than a human pharmacist.(It's not mandatory, I've signed a waiver in the past) The tech didn't want to hand over the meds until I'd done the consult, so I stood there until the pharmacist got back from a break. The pharmacist took one look at it and said "OH! This is for a CAT!" Yes.... "What is it used for in cats?!" Anxiety... "Cool! Just like people! OK, here you go!" -_-;;;

I'm reminded of the time I was working as a vet tech and we had to keep calling a pharmacy for a client to let them know that the patient could NOT sign for the prescriptions himself because the patient was a parrot. I mean, he could probably have grasped the pen, but then he'd just have eaten it, and there would be ink all over.

LOL! That's funny. Not the headache part or the 90 degrees part.
    I've had to get one of my pets meds at a human pharmacy before and I think they asked me the birthdate too. But I think it was Zoee and I know her birthdate.
    I think that person at the counter didn't know what they were doing. You should ALWAYS be able to waive the consult. They can't force you to do it. I always waive them.
    They wanted to do a consult for my birth control that I've been taking for like 20 years. Yeah, I think I know what I'm doing and how to take it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Sorry about the headache and the a/c not working. Other than that . . . Thank you for the chuckle!

I often get pet meds at my local pharmacy, but I've never had an issue. As Dad lived with me so long, and had 17 scripts per month, I am on a first name basis with both the pharmacists who work there. They get our Christmas photo cards every year! Once they see: Sugar K9 S**** or Sparkle Feline S***** they know it is one of the pets.

Sorry to hear it wasn't the smoothest of experiences, but at least you have something to laugh about at the end of the day!
    I remember filling Floki's prescription at Walgreens and had the lady in line behind me comment on how "weird children's names are these days".
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

The heat and the hot temperature wasn't funny but the rest really made me laugh. If we pick up a prescription for a pet we never get asked to do a consult....that was news to me. Glad I don't have to go through that when I'm hot and tired.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----