I just went and picked up Katie's Prozac at the drugstore by my house. It was soooo fun. (not) I know I'm overreacting because I've had a headache all day and it's 90 out and I had to drive my car with no AC to get there, but in hindsight the whole thing was kind of funny.

First, her name was put in as 'Kaite" rather than Katie, so they couldn't find her in the computer. When I couldn't give them her birthday to look her up that way, the pharmacy tech got very suspicious, until I said "She's a CAT, I don't know her birthday!" So she got to look through the medications by hand until she found the misspelled Rx.

THEN I tried to pass on the medication consult for new prescriptions, because I'm pretty sure that I know more about the side effects of Prozac in cats than a human pharmacist.(It's not mandatory, I've signed a waiver in the past) The tech didn't want to hand over the meds until I'd done the consult, so I stood there until the pharmacist got back from a break. The pharmacist took one look at it and said "OH! This is for a CAT!" Yes.... "What is it used for in cats?!" Anxiety... "Cool! Just like people! OK, here you go!" -_-;;;

I'm reminded of the time I was working as a vet tech and we had to keep calling a pharmacy for a client to let them know that the patient could NOT sign for the prescriptions himself because the patient was a parrot. I mean, he could probably have grasped the pen, but then he'd just have eaten it, and there would be ink all over.