Thread: Possible Beagle Cross?

Possible Beagle Cross?

We just adopted a dog from the Humane Society in our town, and all her paperwork says beagle. However, I had beagles growing up, and while she is definitely a hound or hound mix of some sort, I'm not so sure on the straight beagle. She's about 35-40 pounds and a good 15 or so inches at the shoulders. We're just curious to see if anyone else felt like taking a guess that might have hound breed knowledge. She's a sweetheart, though, and always has her nose to the ground trying to sniff something out.

Do you know how old she is? She looks very Beagle to me, and 15 inches is a good height, but I do think there may be some other kind of hound in there, particularly if she's still growing! She is a cutie, that's 100% for sure, and constant nose to the ground is typical beagle. There's a saying amongst beagle owners - you do not walk a Beagle. The nose walks the Beagle, and the Beagle walks you!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Do you know how old she is? She looks very Beagle to me, and 15 inches is a good height, but I do think there may be some other kind of hound in there, particularly if she's still growing! She is a cutie, that's 100% for sure, and constant nose to the ground is typical beagle. There's a saying amongst beagle owners - you do not walk a Beagle. The nose walks the Beagle, and the Beagle walks you!

That's a very good quote! I've been having a fun time trying to explain that to my husband, I think I'll share that with him.

The shelter and vet estimated her at anywhere between 10 months to a year old, as she has her adult canines but one is still in the process of coming in completely. It's almost there though. She's also very bouncy and awkward still, which is just adorable. She's had a heat cycle - we had to wait for her to come out of heat and get spayed before we could take her home. We love her to pieces, no matter what she is.

I have seen quite a few dogs that are supposedly beagles that look like her. She's pretty
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Like lolli94 stated, I've seen a lot of supposedly purebred beagles where I live that resemble her. Of course there is a possibility that she might have another hound that could account for some of the facial features... or she might still be filling in? Still, the coloring, the eyes, the ears, the personality are all beagle!

Either way, she is so stinking adorable! Thanks for adopting!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

We took her to our own vet today, and he says she's more like 8 months old, and he expects her to do some filling out over the next few months. He doesn't think she's going to get any taller, and said he thought she was probably all beagle. So, all of you and the people at the Humane Society are probably right, and I just got thrown by the fact her muzzle isn't shorter like I'm used to. LOL

Thanks for all the replies, though!

You have a beautiful heart and you give this dog a chance to feel a love from the owner. I admire your dog because she is looks so awesome.