Thread: Did not wake up anticipating this end to my day...

Did not wake up anticipating this end to my day...

First off, yes, everyone is alive and well.

Let's just say that this week has been the worst worst worst week for me and continues to get worse. First, the rail fell off our front porch. The next day our AC fan stopped working. The following day we come home to find our patio table mysteriously shattered, and later that night Nova (our 7 month old pup) started coughing which got progressively worse throughout the night (and kept me up all night), which leads me to my Wednesday... Nova was diagnosed with Kennel Cough. Ok... manageable, get her started on meds and cough meds for bed time and she'll be fine.

Then today I almost make it to the end of my shift at work when I get an "emergency" phone call from my boyfriend, who is frantic on the phone. Somehow my bad dog Jamie opened up a tupperware container (the ones with the 4 locking sides that even I have trouble popping open sometimes) and ate somewhere between 10-15oz of dark chocolate. So... I tell him to run her right up, thinking we'll just induce vomiting and be done with it.

Nope.

She shows up and is displaying clinical signs of toxicity. Tachycardic, VERY hyperactive (she could NOT sit still!!), and shaking. We attempted to induce vomiting SEVERAL times but that girl is so stubborn it took her nearly 40 minutes before she gave in.

After some injectable meds, IV catheter, and activated charcoal the dr shipped us off to the emergency clinic for overnight monitoring and IV fluids to flush her out. Which is where she is currently.

I swear. I need a break.

PS enjoy this picture that my BF took of us giving her the activated charcoal. As you can see, she didn't make it easy on us, LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamie-sigh.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	58125

facebook

Oh, goodness, I hope she will be okay! Sending you all hugs!

My friend's Pointer once ate most of a bag of dark chocolate covered Espresso beans someone had given her for a gift, Carrie (the dog) was hyper and shaking and felt awful, but she did pull through, thank goodness.
    I've Been Frosted

Makes you want to stay in bed with the covers over your head, doesn't it?! WHAT a week!

I start off with this only because you made it clear everyone is live.

Sending healing prayers for both pups, Nova with kennel cough, and Jaime with dark chocolate cravings. I think by now the meds will have calmed Nova's cough, though it takes the full course of meds to get it completely out of the system. As for Jaime, please keep us advised of her progress!

And do find some calm relaxing activity for yourself. May a nice bubble bath is in order!

Jasper has a knack for getting into well-sealed chocolate too - most recently he tore open my lunchbox and ate a 3oz dark bar.

I'm so glad everyone is okay, and I hope your week improves!

Oh My Goodness....that picture is heartbreaking! Hope they are both doing much better!!!

Yes, the picture brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry you are having the week from "you know where". I do hope Nova gets better with the cough and Jamie is fine after the chocolate incident. Whew! I also hope you can have an "uneventful" and relaxing weekend.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Hope by now that everyone is doing a lot better. That is a week you want to forget-- wouldn't want to go through something as scary as that.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Not a good week, for sure! I hope Nova and Jamie are doing ok. Please keep us posted.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thank you, everyone! I picked Jamie up this morning and she is completely back to her normal self, albeit some black stool (from the charcoal)... We are monitoring her for signs of pancreatitis over the weekend, but for now she has no restrictions, no meds (unless she gets bad diarrhea, but so far so good).

Nova's cough is getting better but still there; granted, not once has she slowed down at all!

I am so fortunate to be a tech and get the discount that I do... these vet bills surely would have killed me otherwise! The overnight e-clinic even REFUNDED us $50 from our deposit last night! Was not expecting that.

facebook

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Glad to hear that everything is moving in the right direction. Our pets sure can cause us tons of worry at times. Been there - done that...........a lot !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Wow! That does sound stressful! So glad everybody is okay!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

I think she is happy to be home

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140509_113344.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	58140

facebook

No more chocolates Jamie! Good to hear she's home.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla