Thread: Is this normal? *involves male genitals*

Is this normal? *involves male genitals*

OKAY, so please excuse this very awkward post, but I've never owned a male dog before this and have NEVER seen this before. So, of course I panicked. But apparently, this is normal. Well I'm not sure about it, so I figured I asked you guys. Mikey got really "excited" and his penis began to come out, which is obviously normal but then me and my friend saw a ball, I guess you could say, and his penis swelled and changed color? I PANICKED because my parents aren't home, and I've never seen that before. We didn't know what it was. We calmed him down and it went back in after awhile, I thought there was something way wrong, because so far when he gets "excited" all I've seen is his "red rocket" as we call it.

Here's a picture of what it exactly looked like *WARNING: Kinda gross*

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/un...g_Erection.jpg

It's apparently only a full on erection, it's just strange to me because

1) I've never seen the ball thingy on top before.
    2) it's never been that color
    3) it's never taken that LONG to go back in. I'd say it took about 5 minutes.
    4) Mikey himself was scared. His tail was between his legs, maybe he was embarrased?

Thanks for the input, it's just weird and NEW to me. I probably overreacted alot, but it scared me.

Hmmm... I looked it up in one of my textbooks, and found this:
    During an erection, the bulbourethral gland on a dog's penis can swell so much it is too wide to retract into the sheath.
    Bulbourethal gland: accessory sex gland in male dogs, this gland becomes swollen when the dog gets excited and appear like two round swellings beneath the skin. They are not testicles, but may look like them.

Hope this helped Alyssa...

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

when a male dog and female dog tie (make babies).. they get "stuck" because of this.. it might take a while for the blood to go back and the swealing to decrease.. donīt panic itīs normal.. I think Mr. Mikey just had a lil bit too much fun by himself.. lol
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    when a male dog and female dog tie (make babies).. they get "stuck" because of this.. it might take a while for the blood to go back and the swealing to decrease.. donīt panic itīs normal.. I think Mr. Mikey just had a lil bit too much fun by himself.. lol
    Like she said, perfectly normal... You just had a VERY excited doggie hehehe

As a warning, that swelling does get a fair bit larger, so if it looks bigger one day then the next, there is NO worries, its normal. Also the shaft tip might get suck inside as the dry erect penis starts to go back inside his body... LET him lick it to help it go back in easier. If the shaft is stuck inside just leave it alone, as he'll lick it to get it back out... you could fix it yourself, but I wouldn't as it's prob dry & tender & he might nip you in pain.

I don't know if he's fixed of not (don't know his age), but don't be surprised if you find sticky toys or pillows, as he was most likely humping them & well, ejaculated on it.

Digi is a fixed female, & masturbates almost everyday. Its really gross, but to each their own I suppose lol

Wow, so I flipped because my dog wanted to 'get it on' with something? Hehe, thank you guys. I had just never seen this before, it was needless to say awkward. He's fine now, and he's neutered. Mikey is about 2 1/2 years old now. Ah, the wonders of male dogs.

Is it normal though, for a male dog who is FIXED to be getting this excited. He humps something every day. I made another thread about that, and everyone said it was but I read somewhere it wasn't normal or good for a fixed dog to do that. -_-

Thanks for the input guys, sorry for a gross awkward post. I will try refrain him from getting that excited EVER again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Wow, so I flipped because my dog wanted to 'get it on' with something? Hehe, thank you guys. I had just never seen this before, it was needless to say awkward. He's fine now, and he's neutered. Mikey is about 2 1/2 years old now. Ah, the wonders of male dogs.

Is it normal though, for a male dog who is FIXED to be getting this excited. He humps something every day. I made another thread about that, and everyone said it was but I read somewhere it wasn't normal or good for a fixed dog to do that. -_-

Thanks for the input guys, sorry for a gross awkward post. I will try refrain him from getting that excited EVER again.
    Bah, leave him be if it doesn't bother you... Just make sure he doesn't become obsessed.. thats when its just unhealthy... Same with humans... I wouldn't worry about him doing it daily, but if he was doing it all day long.. THAT is an issue that will need tending too... IMO

I think it would be especially more normal if he was neutered at an older age. Maybe he had mated before neutering? So he would already know what to do.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    I think it would be especially more normal if he was neutered at an older age. Maybe he had mated before neutering? So he would already know what to do.
    Digi was spayed at 6 months & started masturbating (when I first caught her) at about 1.5-2yrs of age... Chances are the sexual nerves are more mature around that age, so while she was cleaning she all of a sudden felt good, really good.. The way she does it changes as she learns how to do it better...

I was just saying that if Mikey had been neutered later and had mated before, it would probably be MORE likely to happen. Not that it doesn't if they were neutered young and had never mated before.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Often when a dog is neutered at an older age, they will keep many of the tendencies of an uneutered dog. It's normal... no worries

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Hmmm... I looked it up in one of my textbooks, and found this:
    During an erection, the bulbourethral gland on a dog's penis can swell so much it is too wide to retract into the sheath.
    Bulbourethal gland: accessory sex gland in male dogs, this gland becomes swollen when the dog gets excited and appear like two round swellings beneath the skin. They are not testicles, but may look like them.

Hope this helped Alyssa...
    That is not the bulbourethral gland - dogs do not have those glands (only species which doesn't actually). What you are seeing is the bulbus glandis - a completely different structure. It is a common error due to the similarity in terminology.

As much as I hate wikipedia as a source of anything... here is a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbus_glandis

I am vet tech - & I teach & know the anatomy.

You better not let mikey around any female dogs, http://thedogbreedsbible.com/long-dogs-pregnant/ the process looks pretty awful!

Quote Originally Posted by DanHan View Post
    You better not let mikey around any female dogs, http://thedogbreedsbible.com/long-dogs-pregnant/ the process looks pretty awful!
    Thank Dan. This was a long time ago now, no worries!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Thank Dan. This was a long time ago now, no worries!
    Oh wow, I did not even notice the date. Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by DanHan View Post
    Oh wow, I did not even notice the date. Sorry about that!
    No problem. Are you a dog person? Go ahead and post yourself a thread down in Introductions, and tell us about you!
    I've Been Frosted