Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - ideas needed

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

HELP - ideas needed

My granddaughter is graduating from Monmouth Univ in NJ on 5/21, and I am at a total loss as to what would be a good/appropriate graduation gift. She is going from living in north Jersey, back to living at home, as she has been accepted into the Masters program at Wilmington (DE) Univ, for mental health counseling, and will be going straight from graduation to more school, so there won't be any post graduation vacation/trip that she could use money for. She's not really big into jewelry, and I already gave her a diamond pendant that I had custom made with the diamonds from my mothers engagement ring, for her high school graduation, and she never wears watches either. I'm stumped, and really need some good ideas. Any and all are welcome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    My granddaughter is graduating from Monmouth Univ in NJ on 5/21, and I am at a total loss as to what would be a good/appropriate graduation gift. She is going from living in north Jersey, back to living at home, as she has been accepted into the Masters program at Wilmington (DE) Univ, for mental health counseling, and will be going straight from graduation to more school, so there won't be any post graduation vacation/trip that she could use money for. She's not really big into jewelry, and I already gave her a diamond pendant that I had custom made with the diamonds from my mothers engagement ring, for her high school graduation, and she never wears watches either. I'm stumped, and really need some good ideas. Any and all are welcome.
    A custom-made gift certificate for a fancy dinner/tea with her favorite grandmother?

A "Spa day" certificate if she'd enjoy that?

A framed photo of the two of you together?

A "weekend getaway" certificate for some place she'd like to go?

A new scrapbook that starts with an early picture you have of her, then a current, then the rest of the pages to be filled as she progresses?
    I've Been Frosted

A gift certificate from her fave store?

If she has particular hobby gift certificate for supplies?

A Cross pen was the traditional college graduation gift way back when.

I still use both of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

LOL - I remember that very traditional gift. That is what my son suggested, too, since she is eventually going to be a counselor and would be taking a lot of notes on her "patients".
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    LOL - I remember that very traditional gift. That is what my son suggested, too, since she is eventually going to be a counselor and would be taking a lot of notes on her "patients".
    Yes! I got one of these when I graduated as well! Is she paying her way through the program or taking out loans? Money is still always a good gift, particularly for poor college students who have loans to pay off or simply to put away in savings. I don't know if this would apply, but does she have a 529 account? Any money put into a 529 account can be used for educational expenses. These are typically created to build up savings for a college fund when babies are young, but if she has a few more years of schooling - every bit counts!

I like the weekend getaway or spa day idea too if she's not going to have much gap between finishing one program and starting another. Sounds tiring! A spa day or weekend getaway would be a nice reprieve! Good luck and congrats to her!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I received one, too and still use it. That's a great idea. My brother and sister-in-law gave me a framed color pencil drawing of a cat, which I treasure. I received a carry-on bag as a high school graduation gift that has traveled a lot of miles with me over the years. Since she's starting graduate school, a briefcase? (Do people even carry briefcases anymore?) A Vera Bradley or Scout bag? Congratulations to her and best wishes for graduate school!

p.s., I'm reading these suggestions with double interest because my niece is graduating from college this weekend. I have no idea what her future plans are. She has two majors and I'm not sure which one she wants to pursue.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Ellie, thought of your thread when I saw this, GMA steal and deal online only offer, good today and tomorrow.

For $10 plus shipping and handling, you can order a tote with a photo you have. Tote is a good size, and holds up to 50 pounds. Maybe you have a good photo you could use for the gift - something of both of you, or one of her as a child, etc.

http://gma.yahoo.com/gma-deals-and-s...5836.html?Vp=1

I think there is a pillow too, see myrume.com Be sure to click the GMA link for the discount.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - a lot of good ones. I'm still undecided.

And Sandie - I see you moved to GMA. Much better than your previous morning show - right???
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Sorry-- a bit late with my answer. I guess we all own a Cross pen , I still have mine, seems like they lasted forever.
    If not a cross pen maybe you could get her a Smart Pen-- she will be taking lots of notes down so that would be so handy. Less paperwork.You could also get her a real nice leather briefcase if she doesn't already have one--- in her chosen line of work she'll make good use of one .

Or one of those small tape recorders to take down all notes and stuff so she can save on the writing.....comes in real handy and they're so small now, not much bigger than the one for a Holter

The only other thing I could think of was a gift card for her favourite clothes store----they never have enough clothes
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Problem solved - hooray.

She already has the nice pen set that Steve (her dad) gave her when she was in high school - even he didn't remember - but luckily Tammi (her mom) reminded us. So I had to ask her what Tia would like, and she said that she really loves the Alex and Ani bracelets,, and only has one and was looking for more. I never heard of them - so Google to the rescue. They had so many to choose from, so I ordered 2 for her - the "granddaughter" and the "tree of life". Figured I couldn't go wrong with either of those themes.

Steve was going crazy trying to figure out what to get her too, so he asked her if she would like to have her diploma matted and framed, and she was very enthusiastic about that. He's going to let her pick out what she wants, then he'll have it done at a shop in Dover that specializes in this - they do awesome work.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Aww, sounds perfect! I bet she will love them!
    I've Been Frosted

A puppy!! (JK JK JK of course)

I'm glad you were abe to find something for her, sounds like a great gift!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    A puppy!! (JK JK JK of course)
    Oh yeah - she would definitely love that - and/or a kitty. She lost her little dog Lily last year, and her Mom is still working on Joe (her husband), to get another. They will eventually. But Joe is allergic to cats, so until Tia has her own place,, then that's out. She gets her puppy and kitty fix when she comes here.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Looks like you found the perfect gift POM--I'm sure your granddaughter will treasure the bracelets and she can add to them whenever... maybe when she gets her little dog
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----