Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boris, 12yrs old,has passed away today, June 16, 2014

Boris, 12yrs old,has passed away today, June 16, 2014

I know I haven't been on here in ages, but life has been busy. I shattered my leg, ankle and foot, then tore the meniscus (medial and lateral) in my good leg and had to have that operated on as well. Then lost my job. Gotta love the challenges in life.

Anyway... I thought Boris looked bloated for about 1-2 weeks, wasn't sure. So, made a vet appointment and here her blood glucose level was 535. I almost fell over. Even the vet was shocked. Said she did not present like a normal "diabetic" cat would look at all. She has a nice coat, is not skinny or fat, just lethargic, and she started sleeping in the bathroom sink and getting water on her all the time, and peeing everywhere!! So, we started her on 2 units of insulin day and night.

About 3-4 days ago, she started vomiting about 3-4 times a day. She hadn't done this since I switched their food to grain free. So, this alarmed me. Back to the vet yesterday. I was hesitant to give her insulin yesterday AM thinking maybe it was an overdosage of that, even that small of an amount. Again, her glucose was above 530. So, x-rays were ordered and all we could tell was that there is still a lot of water in her belly (hence the peeing all over the place still), her large colon is full of air/gas, and other than that, all he could see was feces. Lots of them. He thinks she has a hair ball blocking her. Boris has NEVER in her life had a hairball, why would she suddenly get one?? I'm not sure about this. She's still lethargic, although very loving. Still a witch to the other cats in the house (so more normal). I just am not buying the hairball deal. He gave me a laxative for her, that nasty stuff you put on their paws or nose and they are supposed to want to lick it off.... yeah, right. I just think there is more going on than a hairball.

Being out of work and on unemployment is not helping. I gave every last cent I had yesterday and I still owe 54.00 (I gave $160). I was not thinking it would be that high. My mom said to put her in a shelter because I can't afford to keep her at my state right now with no job, but I could never do that. She'd just die in a shelter. I always put my kids before me. I am going to my mom to get the balance of the vet bill, and to get some food money because I used my food and gas allowance on the vet bill. I'm just beside myself.

I'm applying to jobs everywhere. Found a librarian job at a local prestigious university. It would be nice to get that one. Right now, anything more than 506.00 weekly would be preferable. i just don't know what to think about Boris and all this crap going on with her. I feel so bad. I want to do more for her, but of course she can't tell me what is wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Or experience with this??
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 06-16-2014 at 06:36 PM.

My only suggestion is for the constipation. One of our cats, Charley, has mega colon. We give him 1/4 teaspoon Mira Lax mixed in with some canned food every day.

It has no taste, so no problem with him rejecting it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I never had a cat that had to be on insulin, tho one of my Meezers from many years ago was diabetic. Unfortunately he was diagnosed too late to save him.. I just can't imagine how one is able to regulate insulin in a cat tho, since it's probably next to impossible to get a urine sample every day. Two of my three Lhasa Apsos from many years ago, were diabetic also, and it was no problem getting samples from them a couple of times each day, and I could adjust their insulin as needed. Both of them lived for approximately 5 years past the time they were diagnosed - one passed at 14 and the other at 16.

Wish I had some idea as to what's going on with Boris, but it's always so much more of a challenge to diagnose and treat a cat, than it is a dog - at least that has been my experience over the years. I'm no doctor of course, but my gut instinct tells me that Boris' problem is diabetes related.

Sending out good wishes - that you get a good diagnosis and it's treatable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

You can do blood testing on a cat. The ear is typical. Felinediabetes.com has a video showing how to do it.

Good luck with Boris and your job search.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I know many diabetic kitties go on to live a long time once things get sorted out. But her diabetes may have affected her digestive tract, and so maybe she does have a hairball even though she never did before ...
    I've Been Frosted

I don't have any advice to give you on diabetic cats, Jenn, but we are all sending along our prayers and good wishes and warm healing energies to Boris, and you too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

No info to share. Prayers from RI for Boris, and for you Jenn. Hope you get that job, sounds like a nice one for you.

I don't have any advice, but lots of good vibes coming your way, for a job and for Boris' health.

My sister's cat was diagnosed as diabetic last summer, was put on insulin, then about a week later, was taken off, as he was now normal. It's been a rollercoaster ride since. He puts weight back on, then loses it again. He was treated for a urinary tract infection, but that only helped for a short time. My sister had also tried different foods. After several trips back and forth to the vets, it was finally determined that one of his kidney's was three times the normal size. After tests to determine if the other one was healthy, it was found that both kidneys were cancerous.

I hope that Boris adjusts to all this and that there is no other underlining problem causing her diabetes.

Boris is still REALLY lethargic. I've taken her back, because I thought maybe too much insulin, but her glucose levels were in the 500's again! The vet didn't suggest anything, just keep on giving her the insulin. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take her to my OTHER vet, who I feel is a better diagnostician. I can feel a really large lump where her one kidney should be. That worries me a lot. Also just found a new food that is grain free, cause she's my only cat that can't have grain, and it has a low glycemic index. Anyone ever heard of NULO?? I'm trying it, mixing it in with their regular food (all cats are free fed, and all are on grain free food, and they are doing fabulously on it). I owe my other vet money, so I have to wait for unemployment to pay me next week, and I was supposed to pay my mortgage, so I'm really in quandary. I am expecting money back from my home owner's insurance, as we re-evaluated my policy because they put new values in without even telling me and it went up $800.00!!!! I'm trying to change homeowner's insurance companies, but with my credit rating, having filed a claim 2 years ago, no one wants to touch me. This really sucks.

Anyway... that's the news from here.

Boris passed away today

I feel like I failed her. She was still young. She started to not walk about 4 days ago, leaning her little head on the water bowl. I thought she had too much insulin, so I stopped that and gave her some corn syrup like the vet said to do. Nothing worked. She wouldn't eat. She was breathing really heavy today when I got back from school, and I rushed her to the vet. Dr. Fanelli said that, by the time I got her there, she was throwing clots into her lungs, and then she stopped moving. She passed so quickly. He did give her an injection so she'd go peacefully. I just feel terrible, what she must have been going through and I had no idea.

Rest in peace my Bor-Bors.... I loved you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I feel like I failed her. She was still young. She started to not walk about 4 days ago, leaning her little head on the water bowl. I thought she had too much insulin, so I stopped that and gave her some corn syrup like the vet said to do. Nothing worked. She wouldn't eat. She was breathing really heavy today when I got back from school, and I rushed her to the vet. Dr. Fanelli said that, by the time I got her there, she was throwing clots into her lungs, and then she stopped moving. She passed so quickly. He did give her an injection so she'd go peacefully. I just feel terrible, what she must have been going through and I had no idea.

Rest in peace my Bor-Bors.... I loved you so much.
    Rest in peace, pretty girl. Jenn, don't feel badly - you loved her and did the very beast you could for her. Her suffering is over, and she'll greet you with purrs some day at the Rainbow Bridge.
    I've Been Frosted

You did your absolute best, Jen, and you loved her so much. Out furbabies are never with us long enough, and some sweeties like Boris don't get to live a normal lifespan so their time with us is even shorter.

Gentle {{{hugs}}} and prayers for you and Boris.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm so sorry to hear about Boris's passing. If only they could tell us when they don't feel well and why. You did the best you could. Hugs to you and Boris is now playing at the Bridge.

Sorry about the typo.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 06-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Rest in Peace Boris