Thread: Boris, 12yrs old,has passed away today, June 16, 2014

Threaded View

Boris, 12yrs old,has passed away today, June 16, 2014

I know I haven't been on here in ages, but life has been busy. I shattered my leg, ankle and foot, then tore the meniscus (medial and lateral) in my good leg and had to have that operated on as well. Then lost my job. Gotta love the challenges in life.

Anyway... I thought Boris looked bloated for about 1-2 weeks, wasn't sure. So, made a vet appointment and here her blood glucose level was 535. I almost fell over. Even the vet was shocked. Said she did not present like a normal "diabetic" cat would look at all. She has a nice coat, is not skinny or fat, just lethargic, and she started sleeping in the bathroom sink and getting water on her all the time, and peeing everywhere!! So, we started her on 2 units of insulin day and night.

About 3-4 days ago, she started vomiting about 3-4 times a day. She hadn't done this since I switched their food to grain free. So, this alarmed me. Back to the vet yesterday. I was hesitant to give her insulin yesterday AM thinking maybe it was an overdosage of that, even that small of an amount. Again, her glucose was above 530. So, x-rays were ordered and all we could tell was that there is still a lot of water in her belly (hence the peeing all over the place still), her large colon is full of air/gas, and other than that, all he could see was feces. Lots of them. He thinks she has a hair ball blocking her. Boris has NEVER in her life had a hairball, why would she suddenly get one?? I'm not sure about this. She's still lethargic, although very loving. Still a witch to the other cats in the house (so more normal). I just am not buying the hairball deal. He gave me a laxative for her, that nasty stuff you put on their paws or nose and they are supposed to want to lick it off.... yeah, right. I just think there is more going on than a hairball.

Being out of work and on unemployment is not helping. I gave every last cent I had yesterday and I still owe 54.00 (I gave $160). I was not thinking it would be that high. My mom said to put her in a shelter because I can't afford to keep her at my state right now with no job, but I could never do that. She'd just die in a shelter. I always put my kids before me. I am going to my mom to get the balance of the vet bill, and to get some food money because I used my food and gas allowance on the vet bill. I'm just beside myself.

I'm applying to jobs everywhere. Found a librarian job at a local prestigious university. It would be nice to get that one. Right now, anything more than 506.00 weekly would be preferable. i just don't know what to think about Boris and all this crap going on with her. I feel so bad. I want to do more for her, but of course she can't tell me what is wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Or experience with this??
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 06-16-2014 at 06:36 PM.