Thread: Meet five furry heroes inducted into Purina Animal Hall of Fame

Meet five furry heroes inducted into Purina Animal Hall of Fame

Yesterday, Purina honoured the brave acts of five loyal pets — Jake, Kyra, Meskie, Rocky and Quanto — at the 46th Annual Purina Hall of Fame. "Every year, these stories not only capture our hearts, but the hearts of the entire country," said Susan Molenda, vice president of Nestlι Purina PetCare, in a statement. "This year's Inductees overcame incredible obstacles such as a vicious black bear attack, a partially frozen river, a house fire and a dangerous criminal — literally putting their lives in harm's way to keep humans safe."
    Watch the animals' incredible stories below.
    Jake and Kyra

German Shepherds Jake and Kyra were on a walk with their owner, Lynn O'Connor, in the Peterborough, ON, area when they crossed paths with a black bear. When the animal attacked O'Connor, the dogs intervened, biting and barking at the bear until it gave up on the woman. Two months after the attack, Jake passed away from old age. Both dogs were honoured by Purina.

Rocky

Rocky, a 105-pound Husky-Labrador mix, rescued nine-year-old Samara Wagner-Sunshine from frigid waters in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta.
    "Rocky never hesitated to jump in and work with me to pull Samara from an ice-cold river. He was driven to help me save those little girls that day," said Adam Shaw, Rocky's owner. "He is an incredible, courageous animal and is not just a pet to us. He is a huge part of our family and we can't thank Purina enough for honouring him in this way."
    "I'm as grateful as any mother would be and beyond," Samara's mother, Miranda Wagner, told the crowd in a pre-recorded video at the induction. "To me he's our angel."

Meskie

Meskie, a 17-year-old Calico-Angora mixed cat alerted her sleeping owner to a house fire last August. Meskie pounced on Chyrl Field's stomach, then led her sleepy owner to the kitchen where she could see the front of her New Brunswick home was on fire.
    By the time Field and Meskie were safe in the car, driving away from the home, the paint on the vehicle was already blistering from the heat. Had Meskie not woken Field, both would have likely died in the home.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quanto

Police service dog Quanto was killed in the line of duty last October. He successfully apprehended a knife-wielding suspect in Edmonton, Alberta, but succumbed to stab wounds endured in the scuffle.
    In the last 46 years, 164 inductees have been recognized by Purina, including 136 dogs, 27 cats — and a horse.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Congratulations to all these precious animals! Wonderful!!!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

What a lovely story, Congrats to those gorgeous heroes.
    ZACK MY BIG BEAR.

Great stories. Thanks for sharing!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla