Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice!

I need advice!

My sweet Cami kitty got spayed today.. They called me at 11:42 am to let me know there was a little blood in her urine when they expressed her bladder and wanted to know if it was ok to give her an antibiotic injection. Of course I told them yes.. So that's the approximate time she was spayed.. I picked her up around 4:30 pm and she was completely out of it. Didn't even know I was there or respond to my voice.. It's now 10:32 pm and she is still whacked out of her mind. She can't stand without falling over, doesn't respond to me, seems to be having trouble controlling her bladder, her breathing seems shallow, and her pupils are huge! She looks horrid. My 3 year old son cries every time he sees her because he's afraid she's dead. That's how bad she looks. I have had cats spayed before and never seen the affects of anesthesia last this long.. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I keep going to check on her because I'm afraid she's not going to be breathing anymore.. She needs prayers, good thoughts, healing vibes or whatever else your beliefs may be. I am very concerned.

Praying she comes out of this. Can you take her back to the clinic?

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Prayers on the way to Cami.

Every critter reacts differently to anesthesia. Keep watch on her, set her on a bed of towels you do not care about. If you need to, you can call an emergency vet and they can advise you. I just know the one in Boston, but know they have people there to answer questions, 24/7 - Angell Memorial Emergency: 617-522-7282 (press 1) They can advise you what to look for, and whether or not she needs medical attention now.
    I've Been Frosted

There is no way she should have been discharged in that state. Karen is right - some animals do take longer than others to recover from the effects of the anaesthetic, but regardless the vets/nurses should have kept her in and monitored her until she seemed truly recovered. I'm also a little concerned the vets reached straight for the antibiotics when they saw some blood in her urine, assuming she's a young kitty a UTI is not necessarily in the top list of differentials, plus they are not entering the urinary tract to spay her so effectively no risk of contamination there...

Do you know whether they used gas to get her under? The recovery tends to be more fractious in animals that are gassed down (rather than induced intravenously before being put on the gas), and behave as you have described, although I have never seen symptoms persist that long before. It would certainly be worth finding out everything that was used on her, just in case she has experienced an adverse reaction that could be avoided in the future. I hope she managed to make a full recovery - please update us when you can?

Zimbabwe 07/13

How is she this morning?

When my RB Vita was spayed, she slept around the clock, didn't eat, drink, pee, nothing. A few years later she had a dental, and same reaction to the anesthesia. So while unusual, some react this way to the anesthetic in their system.

Prayers from RI.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    That does sound pretty scary. I can't imagine the vet releasing her in that condition - she probably should have been held longer for observation. My little Princess Leia was spayed last Friday, and even tho she was still rather loopy, she knew me and her surroundings when I brought her home, and she could walk, even tho like a drunk. She tumbled off of her feet a few times, but was able to get right back up.

Sending prayers and positive vibes to little Cami, and hoping that she is doing better this morning.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I attached a picture of what all she had done and what medications were used. She is a little more alert this morning, and she actually meowed at me. But her pupils are still dilated, and she's barely able to walk without stumbling.. I got up every 2 hours to rotate out warm towels for her... I do agree she shouldn't have been sent home in the shape she was in..

Cami is 7 months old, so I found it odd that they jumped to a UTI also.. Thank you all for your good thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by molucass View Post
    My sweet Cami kitty got spayed today.. They called me at 11:42 am to let me know there was a little blood in her urine when they expressed her bladder and wanted to know if it was ok to give her an antibiotic injection. Of course I told them yes.. So that's the approximate time she was spayed.. I picked her up around 4:30 pm and she was completely out of it. Didn't even know I was there or respond to my voice.. It's now 10:32 pm and she is still whacked out of her mind. She can't stand without falling over, doesn't respond to me, seems to be having trouble controlling her bladder, her breathing seems shallow, and her pupils are huge! She looks horrid. My 3 year old son cries every time he sees her because he's afraid she's dead. That's how bad she looks. I have had cats spayed before and never seen the affects of anesthesia last this long.. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I keep going to check on her because I'm afraid she's not going to be breathing anymore.. She needs prayers, good thoughts, healing vibes or whatever else your beliefs may be. I am very concerned.
    Call your vet today and tell him/her what's going on!

Prayers and good wishes and healing energies for dearest Cami that she is doing better and will soon be back in fine shape.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I would take (and would have taken her last night) back to the clinic. I worry about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (sic).

I would take her to the vet ASAP.

I have had similar reactions in my cats that have CH, but generally they are fine the next day. Because she is still having problems, you should contact the vet's office. If they tell you to "just wait and see" I would suggest you find another vet office to take her to.

Good luck and I hope she is okay.

Thanks for updating. Glad to hear she's doing a little better today, although it does sound as if she's still suffering some unexpected effects. Ketamine is a bit of a nasty drug for small animals in my limited experience, although combined with the xylazine it should have been OK. One thing I can't see on there is the reversal drug? I would have expected atipamezole or yohimbine to be on there as well, unless they don't include that in their pricing...? It could be that she came round post-operatively on her own and so they didn't use it, it just struck me as a little odd as in my experience using xylazine, we've always reversed it.

Has she passed any more urine since last night? Another vet trip is definitely in order when you can, hope you can get to the bottom of it!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Glad to hear that Cami is doing somewhat better - but I would call the clinic
    anyway - in hopes they would be more observant next time.

Definitely agree with all posters above. Please call the clinic and have them do a follow-up.

Definitely call the clinic and have her checked out. Being loopy for over 12 hours after being under could be a sign of a serious problem. Glad to hear that she's doing a bit better today but I'd still have her checked out just to be sure.

Sending good thoughts and *hugs*!