Thread: Decadent definition

Decadent definition

I recently saw a post on FB by a friend asking people not to use the word "decadent" when describing desserts. Curious, I looked it up, and the definition of decadent when used as an adjective is "characterized by or reflecting a state of moral or cultural decline."

She's right, I do not think any dessert, no matter how indulgent, will lead to moral or cultural decline.

Opinions, anyone?
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, I didn't know that! I wonder how it came to be used in reference to desserts.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I was doing a crossword puzzle, the clue was "stroke of luck", and the word was fluke. So I looked it up and sure enough, it has a positive connotation. Didn't know that either.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

That's one definition and one only; another definition is luxuriously pleasing.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that! I wonder how it came to be used in reference to desserts.
    Full definitions:

adjective:
    1. characterized by or reflecting a state of moral or cultural decline.
    synonyms: dissolute, dissipated, degenerate, corrupt, depraved, sinful, unprincipled, immoral;

luxuriously self-indulgent "a decadent soak in a scented bath"

noun
    noun: decadent; plural noun: decadents
    1. a person who is luxuriously self-indulgent.

a member of a group of late-19th-century French and English poets associated with the Aesthetic Movement.

But I never see it used as a noun!

cassiesmom: I always have known the positive connotation of fluke, but I also think of the parasitic flatworm that is called a fluke ...! Yes, I have an odd brain!
    I've Been Frosted

Two meanings - interesting but not uncommon. "State of moral decline", perhaps if one steals said dessert by breaking into high-end pastry shop in the dead of night LOL. And why was Aesthetic Movement necessarily a bad thing? It brought us Verlaine, Baudelaire, absinthe, and most importantly Wilde, whose famous character my kitty Dorian Gray, Esq. is named for!

Most interesting,must say I use the word all the time ,verbally and written to describe a rich yummy dessert.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

The meanings of words, and their connotations, do change over time. Some words have opposite meanings, depending on the context! I think they're called oxynyms or something like that. (Saw it on Jeopardy! once.)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I thought it was the point where a teen age driver finally gets that 10th bump in the body work..

Deca = ten
    Dent = You have to tell your parents/insurance company.

---------------

Why do people deem it their job to correct spelling/usage/punctuation on the interwebz?

I really miss the days when people weren't so 'incapacitated' over the use of a word/phrase/spelling.

People that point out someone's error usually are way too blind to see their own shortcomings.