Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall? Short? What do you think .... regarding humans

Tall? Short? What do you think .... regarding humans

I ran across story online about ""celebrities who are surprisingly short," and while it had the expected Michael J. Fox at 5' 4 1/2" and Snooki at 4' 8" - both of which I would consider "short," it also included several male celebrities that are 5' 8" and labelled them as "short." I looked it up, and the Average Height for American Men is 5' 9 1/2" (Women 5' 4 1/2"), would consider a man of 5'8" "short"?

I am 5' 6" - so slightly above average height, thanks to genes from Dad's side of the gene pool!
    I've Been Frosted

I wouldn't consider a man short at 5'8". Maybe at 5'6" or less. I'm 5'4". Just your average girl!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My ex is just under 5'8", and my firstborn is just under 5'6" - and I consider them both short. My other son is around 5'9", and I always considered him as being of average height. I'm 5' - used to be 5'2" and yes - I'm SHORT and shrinking (or petite - depending on your choice of descriptive words).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I guess I would consider a man short at 5'6'.

I'm 5'2" - down from 5'4" at my prime. My husband is about 5'9".

My son is 6'2" and his sons are 6'5" and 6'3".

I've read that basketball coaches, when recruiting, look at the mom's height before looking at the dad.

I always think men 5' 6" or more are tall. I guess this is because my Dad was 5' 6" when he was younger. And so as a child, I always looked up to him.

I'm 5.5, but I would like to be a little taller. I see very few 20 year old girls who are under 5.7 these days and I think that's the minimum height they want for models. John was 6.1 and I thought he was quite tall, but that's not tall these days!

The following is a little sidetrack. I remember when John and I visited a hotel outside of Sevilla, Spain... the beds were very old wooden ones and much too short for John - but the place was lovely, with orange trees blossoming when we were there - oh, what a smell! There are nine very different rooms. To communicate with the two elderly sisters who run it, you have to speak Spanish.

In this first link, you can see the room we had one of the times we visited. (picture 11)
    http://www.vinogusto.com/en/place-medias/29153/5854
    http://www.sawdays.co.uk/special-pla...la/el-triguero

Beds in Denmark has always been made about 6.6, but now it's common that they are 6.8. For every generation, people get taller and taller. I wonder if people will ever stop growing. I bet all of your ancestors were below 5.5

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Is that 5'8" with or without his shoes? I think I've read that some actors wear "lifts" in their shoes to appear taller. If the man is barefooted and a real 5'8", then, No, I do not think of him as short. I'm short myself, a tad under 5', used to be 5'2".

When I first started dating Bruce he said he was 5' 6". Then several years ago we measured ourselves and he is just at 5' 4" (actually just under, but he won't admit it) and I am just a smidge over 5' 4". So technically I am taller, but without shoes we are basically the same height.
    Luckily I don't wear heels. He doesn't care about me being taller, but I don't like it.

But he considers himself short, well, because he is! LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

I've read that basketball coaches, when recruiting, look at the mom's height before looking at the dad.
    That is fascinating. I have heard that the mother's paternal side 'dictates'- LOL. I am 5'3", and Jonah is already 4'11" (at 9). The doctor says if he continues to do what he has always done, growth wise, he will top 6'2". STILL short for professional BB, right? LOL.

I searched and found this. Sorry it is in centimeters, but you get the idea.

Results from health interview surveys (SUSY) demonstrates that the Danes have grown higher. In 1987, the average height for a Danish man aged 16 or over 177.3 cm and in 2000 it was 179.1 cm.

Similarly, women's average height increased from 165.3 cm in 1987 to 166.4 cm in 2000. The figure shows that the average height for an adult Dane has increased in all age groups except among women aged 67 years or over who have the same height.

Average height...

Men
    Women
    I alt
    - - - - - - - - height in cm - - - - - - - -
    16-19 år
    20-24 år
    25-29 år
    30-34 år
    35-39 år
    40-44 år
    45-49 år
    50-54 år
    55-59 år
    60-64 år
    65-69 år
    70-74 år
    75-79 år
    80 years or more
    I alt

I would like to see the height of people two centuries ago.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    That is fascinating. I have heard that the mother's paternal side 'dictates'- LOL. I am 5'3", and Jonah is already 4'11" (at 9). The doctor says if he continues to do what he has always done, growth wise, he will top 6'2". STILL short for professional BB, right? LOL.
    It is funny how genetics work - but it cannot be true that the mother's paternal side dictates the height of the grandchildren - how would that explain the 4-inch height difference between my brothers? It is clear looking at our family tree that Lady's Human and I get more of our genes from our paternal grandfather than maternal, and our older siblings the other side!

I have a friend, let's call her Maggie. She is just about 5'1" if that. When she was a young woman, she blatantly refused to date any guys under 5'10" - she didn't want her children to end up as short as she was. Her eventual husband was 6" or so, and sure enough both her boys tower over her (5' 8" and 5' 10") and while she said, "You know, when you have to tilt your head back to look your child in the face, 'Clean your room or else!' doesn't come off nearly as intimidating!," she is glad her sons have the height they do!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I honestly like being short. The only issue I've ever really had with that, is when buying slacks or jeans, They were always too long and had to be hemmed. It's much easier now tho, since it's much easier than it used to be, to find clothes made for petites. Now if they would only make more petites in age appropriate styles, and not cater to the much younger crowd. I wear petites, but not jeans with ragged holes already in them, or the waistline so far down on your hips that they practically fall off, or the ""skinny jeans" and skin tight leggins. Give us "older" petites a break, please.....20 years old I am not!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I honestly like being short. The only issue I've ever really had with that, is when buying slacks or jeans, They were always too long and had to be hemmed. It's much easier now tho, since it's much easier than it used to be, to find clothes made for petites. Now if they would only make more petites in age appropriate styles, and not cater to the much younger crowd. I wear petites, but not jeans with ragged holes already in them, or the waistline so far down on your hips that they practically fall off, or the ""skinny jeans" and skin tight leggins. Give us "older" petites a break, please.....20 years old I am not!
    I know what you men! I recently got a catalog from a company I ordered a couple skirts from - I do NOT like the restrictive "pencil" skirts one bit, and that seems to be mostly what stores sell. I wanna be able to move my legs when I walk! Anyway, when I got the actual catalog, I was pleasantly surprised to see it offers all its clothes in "petite" versions, and even has a page explaining they alter the sleeve length, not just the hems, for the "petite" versions, and give measurements for hem length on everything! While I do not count as Petite, obviously, I have friends and family members who do, and sent them the link! Just because one stopped growing at 15, does not mean their tastes in clothing get stuck there!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Not necessarily - many in the guard position are shorter - some even under 6'.

Have any of you ever seen this UK advert? Sums up my view frighteningly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-HCl6wQ0s

Zimbabwe 07/13